Athena's Reading List 2014

Athena

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great to hear you're already brainstorming your ideas! I find it's great to have some kind of project to work on - maybe it'll help keep your mojo on a high. :D

x

Thanks :)! It might also take some time away from reading though :P. I brainstormed and let it rest for a bit. I'll come back to what I've written and see what I think of it after a few days, usually then I'm more critical of my work and can see it with a fresh eye.

Athena

Sounds as if you are going full steam ahead with your reading already this year . Great job !

Good luck if you decide to write a book . I know you can do it  !

x

Thanks Julie :).

In the meantime I've read one more book and bought several books. Review and book list to follow. I actually bought the books before I finished the next book but I've already written the review and not yet catalogued the books, so the order will be messed up.

Edited by Athena

Iain M. Banks - Against a Dark Background

325344.jpg

Genre: Science-fiction

Format: Paperback

Pages: 487

Synopsis (back of the book):Sharrow was once the leader of a personality-attuned combat team in one of the sporadic little commercial wars in the civilisation based around the planet Golter. Now she is hunted by the Huhsz, a religious cult which believes that she is the last obstacle before the faith's apotheosis, and her only hope of escape is to find the last of the apocalyptically powerful Lazy Guns before the Huhsz find her.

Her journey through the exotic Golterian system is a destructive and savage odyssey into her past, and that of her family and of the system itself.

My thoughts: This was the next Iain M. Banks book to read on my book shelf. I felt like reading some science-fiction, I hadn't done so for quite a bit of time.

It took me a bit of time to get into this book. For some reason I felt my reading was going slow and I wasn't making much progress. I think it's because each sentence takes me a bit longer to process. I can't quite put my finger on why this was, though I think it has to do with the writing style and the word use. Sometimes words were used that I didn't know the meaning of, either because I haven't heard of them before in other English books, or because they were words specific to this universe and it wasn't yet explained what they meant. Sometimes there were good explanations of the environment, technology, items, people etc., other times the explanation came a bit late in my opinion, if there was one at all.

The story sometimes jumps from present to past and then to present again and at a few of these passages it wasn't clear to me at first if it was taking place in the past or in the present. At other times it's very clear but there were a few times where I didn't know it at first and found out in the middle of the section or something.

The story is pretty tense and has good plot twists that I didn't see coming. I'm not sure if I understood everything at the end, some characters were referred to and I'd forgot who they were a bit :blush2:. It could also be that I was just feeling tired, that's very possible. The story is well written. It doesn't read easily for me, but I enjoyed reading the book even if it took a bit more effort on my part.

I'm not sure what the title refers to. It's not very important perhaps, but I normally like to have figured it out by the end of the book.

Overall I quite enjoyed reading this book, if not as much as some other science-fiction books I have enjoyed. My favourite book so far by Iain M. Banks is still Culture 2: The Player of Games (rated 9/10). Sometimes I wish the focus in this book (Against a Dark Background) was a bit less on the thrilling action and more on the science-fiction elements that I like, but I guess I have to read different science-fiction books to find more of that. It was a pretty tense thrilling ride, to have read this book.

Rating: **** (8/10)

A few days ago, due to noise from builders I had to leave the house and went out shopping. I bought some other things, but I also bought some books(oops :giggle2:)! I discovered a nice new book shop that was amazing and bought some second-hand books there.

L. E. Modesitt Jr. - Corean Chronicles 1: Legacies

L. E. Modesitt Jr. - Corean Chronicles 2: Darknesses

L. E. Modesitt Jr. - The Saga of Recluce 9: Colors of Chaos

L. E. Modesitt Jr. - The Saga of Recluce 10: Magi'i of Cyador

L. E. Modesitt Jr. - The Saga of Recluce 11: Scion of Cyador

L. E. Modesitt Jr. - The Spellsong Cycle 1: The Soprano Sorceress

L. E. Modesitt Jr. - The Spellsong Cycle 2: The Spellsong War

L. E. Modesitt Jr. - The Spellsong Cycle 3: Darksong Rising

L. E. Modesitt Jr. - The Spellsong Cycle 4: The Shadow Sorceress

L. E. Modesitt Jr. - The Spellsong Cycle 5: Shadowsinger

Melanie Rawn - Exiles 1: The Ruins of Ambrai

Melanie Rawn - Exiles 2: The Mageborn Traitor

Cecilia Dart-Thornton - The Crowthistle Chronicles 1: The Iron Tree

Philip Pullman - His Dark Materials 3: The Amber Spyglass

Sarah Zettel - Isavalta 1: A Sorcerer's Treason

Sarah Zettel - Isavalta 2: The Usurper's Crown

Sarah Zettel - Isavalta 3: The Firebird's Vengeance

I also went into another book shop that always sells their books pretty cheaply and bought:

Virginia Andrews - Omnibus Lente serie & Geheimen serie (Early Spring & Secrets series)

A. C. Baantjer and Simon de Waal - Baantjer & De Waal 2: Een Lijk in de Kast

A. C. Baantjer and Simon de Waal - Baantjer & De Waal 3: Een Dief in de Nacht

David Niven - De 100 Regels voor een Gelukkig Leven (The 100 Simple Secrets of Happy People: What Scientists Have Learned and How You Can Use It)

Günther Rebel - Lichaamstaal: De Sleutel tot Meer Succes in Uw Leven (Körpersprache)

Dr. Jörg B. Theilacker and Barbara Sobeck - Verhoog Uw Emotionele Intelligentie: Leer Doelbewust Met Gevoelens Omgaan en Verbeter Ur Persoonlijke en Professionele Relaties (EQ Training: Ihr Weg Zum Erfolg)

Lisa Helmanis - Absoluut Onweerstaanbaar: Zo Krijg je die Stralende Look, Zelfverzekerde Houding en Verbluffende Charme en Maak je een Verpletterende Indruk (How to be Irrisistable)

Pieternel Dijkstra - Zelfverzekerd door het Leven: Reken af met Denkfouten

David Lawrence Preston - Zo Krijg je Meer Zelfvertrouwen: Het Doeltreffende Oefenprogramma om je Beter in je Vel te Voelen (365 Steps to Self-Confidence)

Here's a photo:

FotoBoeken21-01-2014.jpg

I'm quite happy with my books. I've agreed with myself to not buy any more books until I go to the book fair next month (I'm really looking forward to it) and to not buy many other books the rest of the month of February either.

Edited by Athena

Wow, Athena

Great haul of books there . Sounds like you got several that were in a series, huh ?  The book fair sounds fun. I've never been to one before . Do they have authors there too or just books for sale ?

Hey Julie, yes several of the books are part of series (I just need to collect them all :giggle:). Just books for sale at the book fair I'm afraid. I've never actually talked to an author or heard any lectures, these kinds of things don't happen a lot here I'm afraid, and when they do it's bound to be really crowded I think.

How quickly do you think we'd all volunteer to come and stack shelves? ME FIRST!!!!! :D  

I'll help too. :giggle2:

:lol:  Not to mention the staff discounts  :o  :D

That goes without saying and Kay can supply the spotty cups and teapots and cakes for break time... :giggle:

Wouldn't it be amazing to own a bookshop! I would be tempted to just sit there and read books all day. I'll do stock take out the back (which means I will really be reading books instead).:giggle2:

Edited by Devi

I had a whole reply typed out but then the internet got cut off. I'll split the post up in several because of the quote limitation.

Note: I had to remove some emoticons.

Pretty much agree with your review of Against a Dark Background, Athena. Although I preferred it to the Culture novels I've read so far, I don't think it's his best.

x

I'm glad to hear it Steve :).

x

Well, it must've been a pain having to escape from the builders but woohoo for new books You're not going to run out of reads anytime soon

x

x

Oops .. double entry for some reason ... sorry Gaia x

x

No problem, it can happen :).

x

For a moment I misread that as 'I also bought some bookshops'

x

That would've been interesting :giggle2:!

x

How quickly do you think we'd all volunteer to come and stack shelves? ME FIRST!!!!! :D

x

I would invite you all!

x

:lol: Not to mention the staff discounts :o:D

x

It would be awesome! You could all help with stacking the shelves very neatly and you'd all have an awesome discount to take the books you want home with you. I'd also decorate it very nicely, with book-related items, posters and what not. I'm sure you could all help me out with it! There'd also be some sofas or chairs for people to sit and read on. I think I'd also let people hand in their second hand books and then sell those, I think that's a great idea, we don't have many shops who do that here. The shop would have lots of English books of varying genres and it would be really beautiful (hopefully), both inside and outside. I think I'd install a coffee machine and water cooker so people (you lot :P) could have a cup of coffee or some tea (I prefer water). We'd all hang out there a lot and talk to the customers of the books and try and help them find things and recommend books that we like.

x

Wow, what a great book haul there you have Athena! I hope you enjoy reading them

x

Thank you :)!

Note: more emoticons removed.

Congratulations on your new books - they look awesome!

I think if ever you did buy your own bookshop there'd be a mass immigration to Helmond.

x

x

Wow what a great amount of books Happy Reading

x

Thank you :)!

x

I'll help too.

That goes without saying and Kay can supply the spotty cups and teapots and cakes for break time...

x

You're all very welcome, and I'd love the spotty cups :).

x

As long as I can take my pinny off and browse occasionally :D

x

Of course, I'd be offended if you didn't :giggle2:! I'd also love to have some of your cakes :).

x

Ahhh, series are wonderful things! Great haul, Gaia.

Bookstore, did I hear bookstore???? /giggle/

x

x

Wouldn't it be amazing to own a bookshop! I would be tempted to just sit there and read books all day. I'll do stock take out the back (which means I will really be reading books instead).

x

I'd be happy to have you!

x

Good idea, Devi! I think I'll be Head of Quality Control - I'll have to read the new ones as they come in. You know, to check there aren't any typos, or missing pages, or anything . . .

x

That sounds good! I suppose you'll mainly be reading fantasy :giggle2:?

Oh my word, the organization and the stats and lists, wow! :D You've done a very thorough and beautiful job! I have to say I love the pie charts :wub: I think I'd like to do one myself, on the countries of the authors I've read books by. That ought to be interesting.

It's pretty amazing that you've already read 14 books so far, well done :D But what's even more, is that the year has startedly really great for you, because you've seemed to have liked and very much enjoyed all the books you've read so far. I think you will have a fabulous reading year in 2014! :readingtwo:

And a very belated Happy BCF Anniversary!  :friends3:  Can you believe that you've been here so long?