Julie 2014

julie

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Julie, your grandson is very lucky to have you. Children nowdays do have a different childhood. The internet is a lot more prominent. It was even apparent in my brother, he's seven years old than me but he did have a different childhood than my sister and I had. The programs he watched on TV were at that time more violent than the ones that were broadcast when me and my sister were young children. My brother spend more time with technology at a younger age (when he was three years old!), than me and my sister. That's not to say my brother didn't play outside, he did do that a lot. It must be very different being a child nowdays. The online world is more and more important to them and they spend more time behind a screen than I used to when I was a child (I spent much more time reading books than looking at a screen).

It seems that the kids I see nowadays have extremely nimble thumbs. :D. They're always on the phones, or whatever gadget they have. I don't see them playing in yards at all, or anything like that. I think they are losing out on a lot. Your grandson is lucky to have you!

Yea, the park we played in as kids is about 5 minutes ' walk from here. There are NEVER any kids there. When we were kids, we played there year round . Sled riding in the winter, leaf raking in the fall and the rest of the year we just played . We often took our packed lunches up there and ate there too . We even took big wads of waxed paper up and waxed the metal slide ,so you'd slide down so fast, your pants almost caught fire !

And thanks for the compliment, but I'm much luckier to have my grandson . He is such a wonderful person in my life .Always makes me laugh . I don't know what I'd do without him .

Hi Julie, just catching up with your thread - fantastic news about hubster's job!  :doowapstart:

Hope your surgery goes well, and the convalescence isn't too arduous, and I'm sure your grandson will do a grand job helping out.  :flowers2: 

Thanks Claire,

Yes I'm so happy about the job. It has seemed like such a big problem for so long with no resolution in sight ,so it's certainly a relief to know we have that worry behind us .

I guess I just think that anything else is stuff I can handle . I've done the KNEE before so I can do another one .

I THINK

I had the MRI and a complete leg xray today , which made my eyes water . Neither test HURTS but my danged knee hurts so bad ,and they want you to bend it or straighten it or hold it a certain place for the whole test, and now it feels like someone took a sledge hammer to it .   :theboss: 

I'll be ok though . I'm tougher than an old shoe .  :blink: 

Pixie

Yea, I will have my laptop with me at the hospital,so will still be able to log in here I think. This will be at a different hospital, but I think the other one will have free internet there too, so I can keep updated with what's up in here .

We have a small grocery store downtown . It doesn't have a great selection, but enough to get us through. Just the basics . I'll have enough food stocked up here before hand that we wont need much I don't think .

Good to know. :smile:  Now you don`t have to `play Pioneer`. ;)

I had the MRI and a complete leg xray today , which made my eyes water . Neither test HURTS but my danged knee hurts so bad ,and they want you to bend it or straighten it or hold it a certain place for the whole test, and now it feels like someone took a sledge hammer to it .   :theboss: 

I'll be ok though . I'm tougher than an old shoe .  :blink: 

Boo, not fun. :empathy:  And I bet you didn`t have Therapy Ducks in your hospital. ;)  I bet you`re counting down the days to get all this over with.

Talking of childrens` games, the kiddies next door are Plymouth Brethren and don`t have a TV or `fun` internet access. They`re always out playing and helping out with mowing the lawn, etc - one of them grows herbs to sell to neighbours to make a bit of pocket money, also had quails eggs - they`re also very musical and `play` together that way. :smile:

Yep, I'm definitely gonna be glad to have all this done. Maybe I Will be able to play Hopscotch again . :)

Pixie

Those kids sound a bit like some in our area. We have Amish, Mennonite , then the next step down, Apostolic . Half our town is from that church . Most of them are "country kids" on farms ,so not too many here right in town. They have very limited access to video games of any sort. No TV's , they may have computers to use for schoolwork, but it'd be strictly timed and monitored .

They help on the farms too, selling garden stuff along the roads and living like Little House on the Prairie kids . I went to school with lots of them . It's an interesting religion to learn about !

And nope, no Ducks at the hospital.:(

Pixie

Those kids sound a bit like some in our area. We have Amish, Mennonite , then the next step down, Apostolic . Half our town is from that church . Most of them are "country kids" on farms ,so not too many here right in town. They have very limited access to video games of any sort. No TV's , they may have computers to use for schoolwork, but it'd be strictly timed and monitored .

They help on the farms too, selling garden stuff along the roads and living like Little House on the Prairie kids . I went to school with lots of them . It's an interesting religion to learn about !

And nope, no Ducks at the hospital. :(

Gosh, I can watch any number of TV shows about the Amish and Hutterites. Ooh, and Sister Wives. `Our`s ` go to `normal` school for the first year or two here, then transfer to a private school in Wales. They`re very kind and come over with a meal like Scotch Broth occasionally. :smile:

Boo, no ducks. Perhaps a petition ? ;)  

Edited by Little Pixie

Pixie

Yea, we can drive a few minutes in any direction and see some of the people you're watching on tv . I don't know of any Hutterites close , maybe some in Pennsylvania ? (one state away ) They have lots of Amish over that way too .

I don't personally know any of the Sister Wife type people  ,which is probably a good thing . I don't think I'd be very good at keeping my mouth shut about that situation ... Who would Voluntarily Share their husband with someone else who lives with you ? You'd see it constantly .

I'd be kicking some butts ,bum leg or not . 

Pixie

Yea, we can drive a few minutes in any direction and see some of the people you're watching on tv . I don't know of any Hutterites close , maybe some in Pennsylvania ? (one state away ) They have lots of Amish over that way too .

I don't personally know any of the Sister Wife type people  ,which is probably a good thing . I don't think I'd be very good at keeping my mouth shut about that situation ... Who would Voluntarily Share their husband with someone else who lives with you ? You'd see it constantly .

I'd be kicking some butts ,bum leg or not . 

:giggle:

Utterly fascinating. You mentioned Little House on the Prairie ; I also think watching the Waltons when I was little added to my interest. :smile: Though obviously there wasn`t Ma Walton and the Other Ma Walton. ;)

Pixie

Yes the Waltons was a good show .WE watched it all the time when it was on . My mother grew up in a family like that. Lots of brothers and sisters, their parents worked hard and they had the big long table with the benches where they ate supper . She always loved the show because it reminded her of her growing up years . They also lived way out in the sticks like that ,so it was a lot the same ( only not the same state ) .

Pixie

Yes the Waltons was a good show .WE watched it all the time when it was on . My mother grew up in a family like that. Lots of brothers and sisters, their parents worked hard and they had the big long table with the benches where they ate supper . She always loved the show because it reminded her of her growing up years . They also lived way out in the sticks like that ,so it was a lot the same ( only not the same state ) .

Aw, sweet ! Though I suppose a pretty hard life too. :smile:

OT - I thought it was so nice when there was a reunion show and the little red-headed Elizabeth turned out to have gone into teaching. :smile:

Yea, it was neat to see the kids once they were all grown up,wasn't it ?  Did you know the show was based on a book ?

Spencer's Mountain by Earl Hamner, Jr .

( Just in case you run out of reading ideas .... it's an older book ,but probably still available online . )

Kate

Yes I think I saw it on tv once as a kid . It didn't remind me a whole lot of the tv show as I remember ,and the book doesn't seem a whole lot like it either , but it was a good story .

Yea, it was neat to see the kids once they were all grown up,wasn't it ?  Did you know the show was based on a book ?

Spencer's Mountain by Earl Hamner, Jr .

( Just in case you run out of reading ideas .... it's an older book ,but probably still available online . )

Ooh, I had no idea, thanks. I`ve `kimpled` it. ;)

post-8102-0-15832300-1404381201.jpg

In 1964 ,there was a serial killer on the loose in NY city . The police were on the lookout for the guilty man ,and "found  him in a Laundromat early one morning . They took him in for intense questioning and decided he was the one who did it . Under 17 hours of questioning  ,the man broke down and admitted it .

This is the story of the DA  ,who began investigating a bit on his own, and found that the entire case fell apart once he started trying to put the pieces together .

It's a very interesting book, which talks about how someone who is of low intelligence (IQ of 80) ,can be coerced into admitting to something he didn't do , how the police and justice system sometimes ignore the fact that they may be trying an innocent man, and the DA who wouldn't give up until they found the real criminal .

Very good book !     4/ 5

Edited by julie

post-8102-0-39799000-1404382347.jpg

Handcarved Coffins  - Truman Capote

This is a novella that Capote, at one point ,thought of making into a novel, but for some reason, never got around to doing that .

The book is an odd one , I ordered it online and when I got it, was strangely surprised . It's the smallest paperback book I've ever seen, and written (I'm guessing ) for German-speaking people ? Because half of each page has the German word for the English word throughout the book. That takes your attention away from the story a bit  .  I read this many years ago, but wanted to reread it .

It's written almost as an interview-type story . Truman is friends with a guy who works for the FBI and is working on a strange case of multiple murders that are occurring in a very small western town. It never gives the name of the town ,but tells of Truman's conversations with this investigator, who insists he will not give up until the case is solved .

People in the town are receiving small handcarved wooden coffins in the mail, when opened, their picture is inside the coffin . Shortly after a person gets one of these in the mail , they end up dead.

Non one seems to know WHY these specific people are being targeted . They had nothing in common, they were all decent people with no criminal history or being in trouble, just ordinary people .

As the story goes on, the FBI man becomes romantically involved with the next lady to receive a coffin in the mail .He becomes obsessed with solving the crime before she becomes the next victim .

This sounds like fiction, but it is a true story and very interesting . It's short, about 122 pgs , and gives you the rest of the story ,but you are left dangling with a lot of questions in the end.

That may be why Trman never pursued it as a full novel. Just not enough information to tell the whole story .

It's still a good one ,so it's worth 4/5 .

Edited by julie