The BCF Book Awards 2013

poppyshake

You would probably be better off reading her early Scarpetta novels as I think they are much better than her recent books. She seems to have gone downhill rapidly....years ago she was a must-read for me, but now I wouldn't even bother picking up her books to read the blurb.

You beat me to it! Sums her up perfectly, IMO.

Edited by willoyd

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Answers of 09-12-2013:

Your favourite read of the year?

I couldn't possibly pick just one book!

Your favourite author of the year?

I'm really not sure, there are too many I really liked.

Your most read author of the year?

I read 9 books by Roald Dahl, followed by 5 books by Susan Hatler.

Your favourite book cover of the year?

I don't know, there are so many pretty ones.

The book you abandoned (if there was more than one, the one you read least of)?

Charles Dickens - Christmas Stories. I loved A Christmas Carol but I didn't care much for the other four stories. I abandoned the last story, called The Haunted Man.

The book that most disappointed you?

Charles Dickens - Christmas Stories. I'd heard good things about Charles Dickens's writing but I found it to be hard to read and understand.

The funniest book of the year?

I think it'd have to be Mark Haddon - The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Night-Time. I loved this book.

Your favourite literary character this year?

I'm not sure what's meant with this question. Does the character have to come from literary fiction?

Your favourite children's book this year?

Ann M. Martin - The BabySitter's Club 4: Mary Anne Saves the Day

Your favourite classic of the year?

It'd have to be Anna Sewell - Black Beauty. I quite enjoyed reading this book.

Your favourite non-fiction book this year?

I already have Marley & Me listed as favourite biography, so I'm going with an information book, A Field Guide to Earthlings by Ian Ford.

Your favourite biography this year?

I really loved John Grogan - Marley & Me. Secondly I really liked Susan Hill - Howards End is on the Landing.

Your favourite collection of short stories this year?

I think it'd be Penny Vincenzi - Love in the Afternoon and Other Delights or, a re-read, Arthur C. Clarke - The Other Side of the Sky.

Your favourite poetry collection this year?

I don't read poetry.

Your favourite illustrated book of the year?

I think this would be Matilda by Roald Dahl. I just love this story and the illustrations.

Your favourite publisher of the year?

I don't think I really have a favourite publisher.

Your favourite audiobook of the year?[/b]

I don't listen to audiobooks.

Your favourite re-read of the year?

It'd have to be the Emma Huntington series by Sinéad Moriarty, closely followed by reading some of the BabySitter's Club books by Ann M. Martin. I also really loved re-reading IT by Stephen King.

Your favourite read of the year?
Ella Minnow Pea - Mark Dunn

Your most read author of the year?
Georges Perec

Midnight’s Children - Salman Rushdie

The book that most disappointed you?
What Are You Looking At?: 150 Years of Modern Art in the Blink of an Eye - Will Gompertz

The funniest book of the year?
How to be a Woman – Caitlin Moran

Your favourite literary character this year?
Ella Minnow Pea

Your favourite children's book this year?
The Little Prince - Antoine De Saint-Exupery

Your favourite classic of the year?
The Shooting Party – Anton Chekhov

Your favourite non-fiction book this year?
Hallucinations – Oliver Sacks

Your favourite biography this year?

Mad Girl's Love Song: Sylvia Plath and Life Before Ted – Andrew Wilson

Your favourite poetry collection this year?
Emily Dickinson

Your favourite illustrated book of the year?
A Monster Calls – Patrick Ness

Your favourite publisher of the year?
Vintage

Your favourite audiobook of the year?

Smut – Alan Bennett

Your favourite re-read of the year?

Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry – Rachel Joyce

Midnight’s Children - Salman Rushdie

:o May I ask why? Did you hate it? :( It's without a doubt one of my favourite reads this year..

:o May I ask why? Did you hate it? :( It's without a doubt one of my favourite reads this year..

Oh dear, Ben  :unsure:.....it took me some time to decide Midnight's Children to go as my nominee, as there were quite a few to choose from  :blush2:  :giggle2:  . In the end I chose MC because it was more of the disappointment I felt, as I had really enjoyed Entrantress of Florence previously. So, I didn't hate the book, (and only managed c. 20% read, and tried to carry on three times), it just left me cold, bored and exasperated. Should have I given it a bit more time? Was I missing something? (Obviously I may have missed something, as you have MC in first place, beating Crime and Punishment and The Importance of Being Earnest  :D ). 

Feel free to sneer at/criticise One Hundred Years of Solitude, if you don't like it, but which is my favourite book ever, as these things can be therapeutic    :wink:  :D

Marie & Ben

Very interesting about Midnight's Children . I've had it n My Kindle since sometime last year I think and have yet to start it. someone in here mentioned how much they loved it, that's why I got it .

I've also heard great things about the Marquez book, but have yet to read it ,so I'm not qualified to vote on either .

I think books are like foods, colors, etc. We all like different ones, no one is right or wrong about books. It depends on the person .

Feel free to sneer at/criticise One Hundred Years of Solitude, if you don't like it, but which is my favourite book ever, as these things can be therapeutic    :wink:  :D

I loved One Hundred Years of Solitude too .. very, very special :)

Oh dear, Ben  :unsure:.....it took me some time to decide Midnight's Children to go as my nominee, as there were quite a few to choose from  :blush2:  :giggle2:  . In the end I chose MC because it was more of the disappointment I felt, as I had really enjoyed Entrantress of Florence previously. So, I didn't hate the book, (and only managed c. 20% read, and tried to carry on three times), it just left me cold, bored and exasperated. Should have I given it a bit more time? Was I missing something? (Obviously I may have missed something, as you have MC in first place, beating Crime and Punishment and The Importance of Being Earnest  :D ). 

Oh no, not at all, please don't take offence, I was merely interested in your reasoning that's all. Obviously we're all going to have different tastes and 'favourites' - life would be way too boring otherwise. Plus it would remove the need for debate and discussion, which in my opinion would be horrible. ;)

Not sure if you 'missed' anything as such, it's probably just a case of tastes: I found it gripping and fascinating. Then again, I enjoyed his symbolism and multi-layered writing which spanned the entirety of the novel, so in all fairness it's probably just what each of us finds interesting, really. :friends3:

I haven't read One Hundred Years of Solitude quite yet, but it's been near the top of my list for a while - in fact, ever since I enjoyed immensely Love in the Time of Cholera. I could be wrong, but I have a feeling I'll enjoy your favourite just as much as I did LITOC. Frankly, he's an excellent writer, so I'm not too worried about that. So, we're probably going to be on the same page - excuse the pun - in that case at least. :P

Marie & Ben

Very interesting about Midnight's Children . I've had it n My Kindle since sometime last year I think and have yet to start it. someone in here mentioned how much they loved it, that's why I got it .

I think books are like foods, colors, etc. We all like different ones, no one is right or wrong about books. It depends on the person .

Yes, it is really interesting that people can have similar tastes in books, and then can also have complete different opinions of a seemingly similar book :D . I loved One Hundred Years of Solitude, but I know that many other people loathe it. You can never be sure what someone's tastes will be :shrug:.But the discussions and debates of the books in forums like this are why we are here  :smile: .

I loved One Hundred Years of Solitude too .. very, very special :)

:yes: ....it's a very special book to me too, one that has stayed with me, where as many have become forgotten.

Oh no, not at all, please don't take offence, I was merely interested in your reasoning that's all. Obviously we're all going to have different tastes and 'favourites' - life would be way too boring otherwise. Plus it would remove the need for debate and discussion, which in my opinion would be horrible. ;)

No, you didn't offend me, it is probably just my odd sense of humour :friends3: .I agree, debate and discussion on our love/loathe relationship with books are keeping this forum interesting  :yes: .

Not sure if you 'missed' anything as such, it's probably just a case of tastes: I found it gripping and fascinating. Then again, I enjoyed his symbolism and multi-layered writing which spanned the entirety of the novel, so in all fairness it's probably just what each of us finds interesting, really. :friends3:

I haven't read One Hundred Years of Solitude quite yet, but it's been near the top of my list for a while - in fact, ever since I enjoyed immensely Love in the Time of Cholera. I could be wrong, but I have a feeling I'll enjoy your favourite just as much as I did LITOC. Frankly, he's an excellent writer, so I'm not too worried about that. So, we're probably going to be on the same page - excuse the pun - in that case at least. :P

I was mostly disappointed with Midnight's Children because I thought it might be in a similar writing style as OHYoS. MD was highly recommended to me by a friend (who loved OHYoS), and we both enjoyed magical realism. Maybe I hoped too much from MD  :shrug: . 

Strangely, Love in the Time of Cholera is the only Gabriel Garcia Marquez novel that I've failed to finish :giggle2: . 

Puns are welcome too  :D .

Agree re the Scarpetta mentioned above.....first ones were pretty good, but then they went downhill, fast.  Too repetitive, too graphic for my taste.

Re Midnight's Children.  I started it once, didn't get too far.  I think it was more my mood than the book though.  I'll try again, sometime.

I suspect I'm not a great fan of magical realism. 

Re Midnight's Children.  I started it once, didn't get too far.  I think it was more my mood than the book though.  I'll try again, sometime.

I suspect I'm not a great fan of magical realism.

Is Midnight's Children a bit of a marmite book - love it or can't finish it? I'm firmly in the 'love it' camp, finding it very much my sort of rich, meaty read.  Must try some of the other magic realists, like Marquez!

Is Midnight's Children a bit of a marmite book - love it or can't finish it? I'm firmly in the 'love it' camp, finding it very much my sort of rich, meaty read.  Must try some of the other magic realists, like Marquez!

*whisper* One Hundred Years of Solitude  ;)  :giggle2: .

*whisper* One Hundred Years of Solitude  ;)  :giggle2: .

*shouts* ONE HUNDRED YEARS OF SOLITUDE! :giggle: 

*whispers* I actually (by a very slim margin) preferred Love In The Time Of Cholera.   I also adore Midnight's Children. :blush2:

Chrissy, you are the voice of reason  :D . I'm still a bit annoyed with myself, giving up on Midnight's Children, maybe one day I'll try again.... :shrug:  

*whispers* I actually (by a very slim margin) preferred Love In The Time Of Cholera.   I also adore Midnight's Children. :blush2:

Yes Chrissy, this is just perfect. Midnight's Children is exceptional and I love LITTOC so I reckon I'll prefer it to OHYOS. :o

(I'm also replying to your wonderful email right now.)

I had to read 'Midnight's Children' for a Post-Colonial Literature course I took many years ago, and kept being told things that ranged from tricky to "bloody impossible" and "unreadable". Some still liked it and others hated it quite passionately!

My wonderful tutor told us all to give it at least 100 pages, and we would either look it or hate it thereafter. By the 100 I was in love with this roaming, magical, lyrical, melodic encompassing tale. What is strange is that a couple of friends with whom I have almost identical tastes HATED it and are baffled by my love of it. :smile: