Anna's 2013 Year in Books

Anna Begins

This is my year in Books- some I've loved, some I've hated some...well...eh)

By Lee Child (in succession)

Killing Floor (Jack Reacher #1)

Die Trying (#2)

Tripwire (#3)

Running Blind (#4)

Echo Burning (#5)

Without Fail (#6)

Keeping the Faith with the Party: Communist Believers Return from the Gulag By Nancy Adler

The Lady in the Tower- Allison Weir

North of the DMZ: Essays on Daily Life in North Korea By Andrei Lankov

The Turner Diaries By Dr. William Pierce

By William Webb

Zombies of All Hallows Evil

Valley of Death: Zombie Trailer Park

Evita, First Lady: A Biography of Evita Peron By John Barnes

Even Silence has an End: My Six Years of Captivity in the Columbian Jungle By Ingrid Bentacourt 

Psycho By Robert Bloch

Midwives By Chris Bohjalian

The Illustrated Man By Ray Bradbury (3rd time)

Helter Skelter: The True Story of the Charles Manson Murders By Vincent Bugliosi

The Perks of Being a Wallflower By Stephen Chbosky (2nd time)

The Passage By Justin Cronin

Great Expectations By Charles Dickens

Nothing to Envy: Ordinary Lives in North Korea By Barbara Demick

Cinderella's Sisters: A History of Footbinding By Dorothy Ko

Works of Dostoyevsky By Fyodor Dostoyevsky

History of the Middle Ages By Victor Duruy

Gone Girl By Gillian Flynn

By Karen Fossum, the Inspector Sejer series:
The Caller
The Indian Bride
Don't Look Back

Slaughter House 5- Kurt Vonnegut

Dresden: A survivor's Story By Victor Gregg

The Old Man in the Sea By Ernest Hemmingway

The Unquiet Ghost: Russians Remember Stalin By Adam Hochschild

Hiroshima By John Hersey

By Joe Hill:
Thumbprint
20th Century Ghosts
Throttle (with Stephen King)

The Dead Path By Stephen M. Irwin

The Lottery (2nd time) and Other Stories By Shirley Jackson

Bitter Freedom: Memoirs of a Holocaust Survivor By Jafa Wallach

Hunger Games Series By Suzanne Collins (3rd time)
Hunger Games
Catching Fire
Mockingjay

By Stephen King (in succession)
11/22/63
The Green Mile
Carrie
The Stand
The Long Walk
Needful Things
Thinner
Different Seasons

Into Thin Air By John Krakauer

Horror in the East: Japan and the Atrocities of WW2 By Laurence Rees

The World Is Bigger Now: An American Journalist's Release from Captivity in North Korea By Euna Lee

Five Chimneys: The Story of Auschwitz By Olga Lengyel

Survival in Auschwitz By Primo Levi

The Magician's Nephew: The Chronicles of Narnia By CS Lewis

Somewhere Inside: One sister's Captivity in North Korea By Laura and Lisa Ling

A Zombie Apocalypse By Keith Luethke

A Game of Thrones: Book One By George R.R. Martin

Peter the Great: His Life a and World By Robert K. Massie

Autobiography of a Recovering Skinhead: as told to Jody M. Roy, Ph.D By Frank Meeink and Jody M. Roy Ph.D

Ivan's War: Life and Death in the Red Army, 1939-1945 By Catherine Merridale

Holy Bible, New Testament to Psalms

Survival in the Killing Fields By Haing Ngor

Auschwitz: A Doctor's Eyewitness Account By Miklos Nyiszli

By Chuck Palahniuk (in succession)
Phoenix
Damned
Survival: A Novel
Fight Club
Haunted

Ivan the Terrible By Robert Payne and Nikita Romanoff

Aching for Beauty: Footbinding in China By Wang Ping

The Bell Jar By Sylvia Plath (2nd time)

Atlas Shrugged By Ayn Rand

The Last Jew of Triblinka: A Memior By Chil Rajchman

Auschwitz: A New History 2 By Laurence Rees

All Quiet on the Wesrtern Front By Erich Maria Remarque (2nd time)

The Holocaust Scream By Rachel Rosenberg and Robert Urban M.D.

The Forgotten Soldier: A Classic WWII Autobiography By Guy Sajer

Kolyma Tales By Varlan Shalanov

Bloodlands: Europe Between Hitler and Stalin By Timothy Snyder

By Alexandr Solzhenitsyn:
The Gulag Archipelago
Cancer Ward
One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich

The Short Novels of John Steinbeck:
Tortilla Flat
Of Mice and Men
Cannery Row
The Pearl

Dracula By Bram Stoker

Uncle Tom's Cabin By Harriet Beecher Stowe

Sliding on the Snow Stone By Andy Szpuk

The News from Paraguay By Lilly Tuck (2nd time)

By Mark Twain
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
The Adventures of Tom Sawyer

First the Killed my Father: A Daughter of Cambodia Remembers By Loung Ung

By Elie Wiesel
Hostage
Night
Dawn
Day

97 Orchard: An Edible History of Five Immigrant Families in One New York Tenement By Jane Ziegelman

Behind the Beautiful Forevers: Life, Death, and Hope in a Mumbai undercity By Katherine Boo

Currently reading: Hild: A Novel by Nicoloa Griffith

Next samples to read: And the Mountains Echoed Khaled Hosseini and Life After Life By Kate Atkinson.
Edited by Anna Begins

Is that a list of books you have read this year? If so, WOW!  Some big books there too, which ones were your favourites? I have read half a dozen, have a few of them on my TBR shelf and there are some others there I may add to my wish list. :)

Yes!  I was surprised how much I've read this year!  The Hunger Games Trilology  was a big fav.  The Stand, Green Mile and Thinner stand out, which reminded me what a tremendous genius he is.  Also, Jack Reacher #6, Without Fail, has been my fav of that series.  Reacher just rocks the house.  Uncle Tom's Cabin and Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, long over due, were most enjoyed.  Hostage by Elie Wiesel  and Atlas Shrugged By Ayn Rand probably be my best of the list.

WOW, your reading rate must be amazing  :D . Very varied too  :smile: . My TBR list has quite of your list as well.

I love Mark Twain, especially Roughing It and Life on the Mississippi . Highly recommended those books, if you haven't read them yet  :smile: . Steinbeck is very popular in the forums too :smile:

Wow, you've read a lot of books this year! What did you think of A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin? I liked it quite a lot. I quite liked The Hunger Games series too. Did you like The Illustrated Man by Ray Bradbury (I presume so since you read it three times)? I have it unread on my shelf. I liked The Perks of Being a Wallflower but didn't love it as some people did. I recently read a Dickens book but didn't get on much with his writing style. Gone Girl is on my shelf unread. I have some of Kurt Vonnegut's books on my Kindle. Did you like the Stephen King books? I recently re-read IT for the 4th time and loved it. I have some other books by him on my shelf. I have Dracula on my shelf unread, and Uncle Tom's Cabin. I also have the Mark Twain books on my shelf unread (can you sense a theme here :giggle2:). Is it common for you to read so many books? I've read a lot of books this year so far, I haven't kept track of it for most of my life so it's fun finding it out now that I'm doing so.

Happy Reading :)!

WOW, your reading rate must be amazing  :D . Very varied too  :smile: . My TBR list has quite of your list as well.

I love Mark Twain, especially Roughing It and Life on the Mississippi . Highly recommended those books, if you haven't read them yet  :smile: . Steinbeck is very popular in the forums too :smile:

Cool- I LOED Mark Twain, probably one of my happiest reads this yr as its been on my TRL for a long time, as well as Uncle Tom's Cabin.  **Downloads Kindle samples for Roughing it and Life on the Mississippi**  Thanks for the recommendations!

How did you like Slaughterhouse 5? I read it this year too though i didnt really see why people were saying how brilliant it was. I thought it was ok but nothing more really.

Also how did you find Great Expectations? I want to start reading more of the classics but i'm not sure if i'll get on with them. Was it difficult to read?

Wow, you've read a lot of books this year! What did you think of A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin? I liked it quite a lot. I quite liked The Hunger Games series too. Did you like The Illustrated Man by Ray Bradbury (I presume so since you read it three times)? I have it unread on my shelf. I liked The Perks of Being a Wallflower but didn't love it as some people did. I recently read a Dickens book but didn't get on much with his writing style. Gone Girl is on my shelf unread. I have some of Kurt Vonnegut's books on my Kindle. Did you like the Stephen King books? I recently re-read IT for the 4th time and loved it. I have some other books by him on my shelf. I have Dracula on my shelf unread, and Uncle Tom's Cabin. I also have the Mark Twain books on my shelf unread (can you sense a theme here :giggle2:). Is it common for you to read so many books? I've read a lot of books this year so far, I haven't kept track of it for most of my life so it's fun finding it out now that I'm doing so.

Happy Reading :)!

Yes, I always read this much!  Especially now with my Kindle (my favorite gadget ever!)....

The Illustration Man by Ray Bradbury  is definitely one of my favs.  Dracula is been a hard read.  I can sympathize cause I've got like, 200 samples of prospective books downloaded on my Kindle (see hip, attached :)  Perks of being a Wallflower just reminds me of me and our friends in High School :D I Love King, but haven't haven never read It. I have never kept rack of mu writing s close before, I'm kinda digging it with you!

I read A Game of Thrones, but I didn't really like it I thought it was written fine, but it just didn't grab me fore #2.  Its not really my type of reading anyway.  I have a hard time with sci fiction/ fantasy and some Historical Fiction. I've never categorized my yearly reads, ol listening the, Im liking it!

How did you like Slaughterhouse 5? I read it this year too though i didnt really see why people were saying how brilliant it was. I thought it was ok but nothing more really.

Also how did you find Great Expectations? I want to start reading more of the classics but i'm sure if i'll get on with them. Was it difficult to read?

I liked it... but not.  :giggle2:  I read it after Hiroshima by John Hershy, so I guess I was a but tainted.  Personally, I've always thought Vonnugut falls short.

I was shocked by how easy Great Expectations was to read- a reason I'm always daunted by Dickens.  Nicholas Nicolby is good too.

Edited by Anna Begins

I love my kindle!  I have one rad Coach purse that holds my tablet and my Kindles (I have two lol)... along with all the stuff my 5yr old requires.... and no, its not as big as  my head

Day two of Hild By Nicola Griffith.  It looks like its either going to be a hard book to read, or a book I'll just have to hold on with, as it reveals itself to me (ya know those kind of books?)  The language is super daunting.

I'd like to embark next upon And the Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseini and Life After Life By Kate Atkinson.

Edited by Anna Begins

Have now fully committed to Hild By Nicola Griffith.  I don't think it will be an easy read, and I think it's one of those you have to trust in- ya know like  you don't fully understand now, but you will later kinda book?

From Amazon

In seventh-century Britain, small kingdoms are merging, frequently and violently. A new religion is coming ashore; the old gods are struggling, their priests worrying. Hild is the king's youngest niece, and she has a glimmering mind and a natural, noble authority. She will become a fascinating woman and one of the pivotal figures of the Middle Ages: Saint Hilda of Whitby.
...Working from what little historical record is extant, Griffith has brought a beautiful, brutal world to vivid, absorbing life.

In addition to Hild, I just started 22 Faces by Judy Byington.  Its about a woman who develops multiple personalities to cope with religious abuse at a young age.  Its a hard topic, but a fast read- 428 pages.

I liked it... but not.  :giggle2:  I read it after Hiroshima by John Hershy, so I guess I was a but tainted.  Personally, I've always thought Vonnugut falls short.

I was shocked by how easy Great Expectations was to read- a reason I'm always daunted by Dickens.  Nicholas Nicolby is good too.

Yes i thought it fell short too.

Ah great maybe ill get that on the to be read list for next year!

• 2 weeks later...