Recommendations for a book to help a friend deal with emotions?

jimtimber

Hi! This is my first post here. My friend is wanting a book that will help her with some emotional issues she's having at present. Specifically, she feels she cries too easily over small things and is too much of a soft touch which has led to some around her to take advantage of her too much.. She wants to address this and is seeing a professional about it. She loves reading so I'd like to give her some books that's could help her with her journey. Any ideas would be welcome! Thanks, Jim.

I have been pondering your post all day, and I really don't know what to suggest

If it's self help book suggestions, it would really have to be one that your friend is drawn to herself. There are so many titles out there, it's tricky thinking of suggestions. Perhaps popping onto a site like amazon and actually searching for 'confidence building', or 'how to stop crying' and seeing what comes up - you never know, one or two may be the perfect read.

Alternatively, I have often found confidence or been inspired from reading fiction. Great stories can change how we feel about ourselves, our lives and our futures. But again, it is difficult to know what to suggest as what lifts one reader could be a real downer to another.

It's good that she has a friend who is trying to help without judging her. Good luck to you both. :smile:

Thanks for your reply. When I chatted with her she said she wanted books that are based on a character showing personal strength or overcoming something. It'd definitely be fiction based and preferably a female protagonist. She's quite well read so I was hoping to find her a book for Xmas that isn't too mainstream.

Immediately I would suggest the authors Marge Piercy or Toni Morrison. Often heart breaking, both authors have really well depicted female characters. Piercy's 'Gone To Soldiers' is a personal favourite that I can thoroughly recommend, although it can be a bit difficult to get hold of.

Young adult titles I would include Beth Revis' 'Across The Universe' - you don't get much trickier situations than this young lady faces!

Another brilliant series with one of my favourite characters is the Japser Fforde Thursday Next series, starting with 'The Eyre Affair'.

I'll have a think on this, and see what else I can recommend. :smile: