Your Book Activity - November 2013

frankie

It could just be me Eleanora, it gets pretty good reviews overall. I'm struggling to read at all at present so I might not be the best judge. :)

Maybe next time, Chalie, I'll give it a try. But I usually trust your advice, so.. Let's see.

I'm reading Timeline, Michael Crichton, at the moment. I'm enjoying it so far.

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finished Twenties Girl some days ago, and because I didn't bring any other books with me, I had to go for the books on the shelves over here. Decided to re-read a Finnish true crime book I first read back in 2000 and which gave me the creeps. It's a book on the unsolved murders of Kyllikki Saari, the two girl campers at Tulilahti and the murders at Lake Bodom.

It's that time of the year when I pick short books, or books I have read before. I don't want to be stuck with something that will take me ages to read, because come the 25th I will (hopefully) have a load of new books to read that will be clamouring for my attention

Snow Flower and the Secret Fan was a wonderful book, and most of the reading group discussing it this afternoon had been fascinated by it too :smile: . It's not often that we talk about one book for almost an hour  :D

Definitely the sign of a good book when it inspires a good discussion  :D

It's that time of the year when I pick short books, or books I have read before. I don't want to be stuck with something that will take me ages to read, because come the 25th I will (hopefully) have a load of new books to read that will be clamouring for my attention

I'm of the same mind Ian, i like to stick to nice easy reads in December as it's such a busy month it's hard to concentrate on anything too weighty  :smile:

I finished A Christmas Carol last night & it has put me in a festive mood  :grinhat: I've just started When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit  Judith Kerr, i can remember watching the TV adaptation as a child  :smile:

Borrowed an audiobook from the library Alan Bennett's An Uncommon Reader, and a book of By Light Alone by Adam Roberts. The art deco book cover of By Light Alone caught my eye, as I have never looked in the fantasy and science fiction section of the library before. I was trying to find any John Wyndham's novels, and borrowed Chocky.  Yep, two science fiction books! :o  :giggle2: . I don't think I have read any SF for many decades.

Bought Tinder by Sally Gardner - I was drawn to the beautiful illustrations (by David Roberts), and the blurb of "an exquisite fairy tale of cruelty and great beauty". Let's hope it's going to be good.

Janet, i decided to take Pontalba's advice and quit the boring book i was having a tough time getting into.. She was right, life is too short to waste time on a dreadful, depressing book lol. I felt guilty at first, hate giving up on books but it was ultimately the right decision and i'm happy I did. I couldn't stop thinking about all the other books i'd rathe read and now i'm happily read a new great novel :)

Thank you both

I'm about a quarter of the way through Want To Play? It's ok, but nothing unique. 

It's not that much of a classic, but it does get better  :smile: .

Janet, i decided to take Pontalba's advice and quit the boring book i was having a tough time getting into.. She was right, life is too short to waste time on a dreadful, depressing book lol. I felt guilty at first, hate giving up on books but it was ultimately the right decision and i'm happy I did. I couldn't stop thinking about all the other books i'd rathe read and now i'm happily read a new great novel :)

Thank you both

Well done.  :)  The older I get, the more I realise time is too precious to waste on things that aren't working or giving the right kind of enjoyment.

Thank you both

Well done.  :)  The older I get, the more I realise time is too precious to waste on things that aren't working or giving the right kind of enjoyment.

Well, that's exactly it.  If we waste time on a book that is not only abhorrent to us, but boring...it's wasted time.  And yes, UTD40, I keep eyeing the book stack that I actually want to read, and resent the entire process.  Unnerving to say the least!  :D

Age does teach us a few things. LOL  My Aunt, who lived to almost 93, used to say by the time anyone knew anything, it was time to croak.  I might not go quite that far, but close enough!

It's not that much of a classic, but it does get better  :smile: .

Finished it this evening. It was ok, but not the best of the genre.

I'm now going to make a start on The Hundred Year Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared. This one has been on my TBR pile for about a year. I've heard mostly good things about it, but a few mixed reactions as well. Looking forward to it. :smile:

I loved it - there is always one book each year that really makes me laugh, and this was it last year. This year it has been The Rook by Daniel O'Malley - especially that scene with the duck.   

I finished When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit  Judith Kerr today, an enjoyable & quick read to finish the month with. Unable to resist Marie H's high praise for Snow Flower & The Secret Fan  Lisa See, i've read the first 20 pages & am already hooked  :D

Nearly finished Night Shift (didnt realise how many of the short stories out of it became feature length films (Graveyard Shift, The Mangler, Battleground, Trucks, Sometimes They Come Back, Lawnmower Man, Children of the Corn (love the original) ) pretty amazing considering there like 20-30 page long stories.

Havent even put a dint in The Stand yet!

Read the first three chapters of Arto Paasilinna's The Howling Miller. I'm hooked already :smile:  - the style of writing is simple, it starts as a childrens fairy story. Ah, but we all know what usually happens in fairy stories..... :(

I'm over the halfway mark with A Fraction of the Whole and it's going very well. So funny and quirky and downright odd .. I love it :smile: 711 pages long though :o .. another great big tome and I wanted a short read after The Luminaries :blush2: Hope to be able to get another short read for the Kindle .. not sure what though yet.

Read the first three chapters of Arto Paasilinna's The Howling Miller. I'm hooked already :smile:  - the style of writing is simple, it starts as a childrens fairy story. Ah, but we all know what usually happens in fairy stories..... :(

Oh bloody hell... Finland is proud :lol::blush:

I'm over the halfway mark with A Fraction of the Whole and it's going very well. So funny and quirky and downright odd .. I love it :smile: 711 pages long though :o .. another great big tome and I wanted a short read after The Luminaries :blush2: Hope to be able to get another short read for the Kindle .. not sure what though yet.

Hmph for enjoying it yet finding it a long novel. Must get Alan to bring brekkie in bed and serve you all day long so can devout all time to reading said book... :giggle:

Edit: personally need to read 29 books in December to achieve this year's reading goal of 100 books... Piece of cake... :D

Edited by frankie