Your Book Activity - November 2013

frankie

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I loved The Snow Child too Gaia .. perfect winter reading :)

x

I'm glad to hear it :)!

At last I've finished The Luminaries :boogie: have got to get my thoughts into some sort of shape for the review (or I could just talk about toast :D I believe there was a mention or two :blush2:) Also finished The Turn of the Screw (and it's my first proper Kindle read so very pleased that I continued to pick it up etc .. not a long read but longer than the others I've read on it.) Henry James frustrates the life out of me ... I can't see me attempting him again because he is too much like hard work and not enough like pleasurable work :D 

x

Congratulations on finishing both! I hope your next read will be easier on the mind :).

Edited by Athena

I've go to chapter 5 of The Drop, It sounds better than page 38.

:giggle2:  yeah, sounds much better, Dex!!

Started and gave up on Mary Horlock's Book of Lies, I was never going to enjoy her way of writing! Think I will go on Newes from the Dead now. :)

I saw Book of Lies in my library. But there was something that just didn't catch me.. now I know I won't give it a chance :)

I finished The Assasin's Prayer Ariana Franklin last night, i thought i'd like this as it's historical fiction but i just couldn't get into it. I've read the first few pages In my next book A Christmas Carol Charles Dickens which i'm re reading for the English Counties Challenge & had a very enjoyable afternoon writing out my christmas  wishlist & checking out the library catalogue for the books i want to read but don't want to buy  :angel_not:

I'm about a quarter of the way through The Preacher by Camilla Lackberg.  It was a 1.99 USD kindle special the other day, and I wanted to see how I liked her writing.  So far, so good.

I saw Book of Lies in my library. But there was something that just didn't catch me.. now I know I won't give it a chance :)

It could just be me Eleanora, it gets pretty good reviews overall. I'm struggling to read at all at present so I might not be the best judge. :)

I finished Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See last night :smile: . I am so glad that I read it, that book was one of the best reads of this year so far  :yes: ! Work in progress for the review for World Tour by Fiction, but I will say now, this is an unmissable book :readingtwo: . 

I'm now halfway through Oranges Are Not the Only Fruit by Jeanette Winterson for the counties challenge.

It's ok, but I fail to see (so far) any evidence for its inclusion on the 1001 list...

I haven't read the book but i did enjoy  the TV production  :smile:

I finished Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See last night :smile: . I am so glad that I read it, that book was one of the best reads of this year so far  :yes: ! Work in progress for the review for World Tour by Fiction, but I will say now, this is an unmissable book :readingtwo: . 

Moving this one to the top of my pile  :smile:

I only managed a few pages of A Christmas Carol today but i did have an enjoyable afternoon watching the Imagine programme with Judith Kerr while doing my ironing.... what an amazing lady  :D

Getting on well with A Fraction of the Whole by Steve Toltz and also Christmas at the Cupcake Cafe by Jenny Colgan. Hopefully will start Lighthousekeeping by Jeanette Winterson soon so that I can join in the December RC.

For those in the UK there's a programme on BBC Four tonight (9pm) called Narnia's Lost Poet: The Secret Lives and Loves of C.S. Lewis :smile: I hope to catch it or tape it.

I really enjoyed Oranges Are Not the Only Fruit and think it deserves its place on the 1001 .. it's all subjective though :blush2: 

Moving this one to the top of my pile  :smile:

Snow Flower and the Secret Fan was a wonderful book, and most of the reading group discussing it this afternoon had been fascinated by it too :smile: . It's not often that we talk about one book for almost an hour  :D