Your Book Activity - November 2013

frankie

I had to look in wiki for Moomins, to understand what were you talking about:) In Russia they are "Муми-тролли (Mumi-troll)". And I remember seeing them and reading, but sure don't remember the song. Because I saw USSR's stop motion animation about them. I liked both.

Finished Julian Barnes' " The Sense of an Ending". I'm hoping to find time to read his "Arthur&George". Reading McEwan's "Atonement" and Sebastian Faulks' "Human Traces".

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I've only read the Moomins series books within the last four years, and have only "seen" them as pen drawing illustrations in

the books, which I find are beautiful. But I agree with you, I find them really scary in such vivid, psychedelic colours in some of the children's picture

books :hide: ! Ha ha, it seems quite ironic that I am trying to influence you, a Finn in Finland, into the delights of Tove Jansson's books! :giggle2: (Definitely a case of "taking coals to Newcastle”, (my idiom of the day!) ) I find that her book of short stories 'Travelling Light' is rather good. As poppyshakes says The Summer Book is good too. :smile: 

Haha, yes, quite funny that you should 'have to' convince a Finn to read Finnish books :D Maybe I will have to give Jansson a go, some day... :)

Takin coals to Newcastle... Thanks, that's now my idiom of the day, too :D

x

I normally call it Confessions of a Shopaholic as that's what's on my copy. It's annoying when they rename books for different countries etc., sometimes you think you haven't heard of this title but then when you read the synopsis, it's a book you've already read being released under a new title.

Ah yes, Confessions of a Shopaholic! That sounds a lot more familiar :) It's so annoying when they re-name book titles :rolleyes:

I had to look in wiki for Moomins, to understand what were you talking about:) In Russia they are "Муми-тролли (Mumi-troll)". And I remember seeing them and reading, but sure don't remember the song. Because I saw USSR's stop motion animation about them. I liked both.

Yes, Mumintrollet is the main character in the book :) I wonder if one could spot the Russian version of the theme song on youtube... I think I'll have to search for it and the English version, just to hear what they are like :)

Finished Julian Barnes' " The Sense of an Ending". I'm hoping to find time to read his "Arthur&George". Reading McEwan's "Atonement" and Sebastian Faulks' "Human Traces".

Oooh, chaliepud will be happy to see someone read Human Traces! :D

:D I felt the same Janet though I did plod on with it :roll2: (it got worse if anything.) I hope you'll like the Adrian Mole books .. they're very funny :smile: 

Glad to hear you're getting on with Jamaica Inn .. good old Daphne never disappoints does she? :D 

Thanks, Kay.  :)  I haven't read any Jamaica Inn today but I read the first 50 pages yesterday and I can tell I'm going to like it.  :)

I do love having someone read to me, but a lot of the time I'm concentrating on something else, so I have to listen to a story I already know, so that if I don't listen to a couple of minutes, I still know where I am in the story! :D

I've only really listened to Shakespeare on audio books before.  I think I'll probably try a couple of my 'already reads' for the Counties Challenge (have I said that already?  :shrug:  ).

So frankly, my dear, you didn't give a damn? :giggle::D

Aww, I'm sorry you didn't like it :(:empathy: Maybe it wasn't the right time for you, or maybe it's just not the book for you :shrug: I hope you find something way more fascinating soon!

I hope you enjoy your first Adrian Mole :) It's different from The Bedridden Woman, so there's a fair chance :)

:giggle2: I didn't! It's a shame really - it sounded good, but I just couldn't warm to any of the characters at all.

I'm keeping an open mind about Adrian Mole - I won't let this experience put me off. :)

Rather ridiculously I have four books on the go :blush2:  Am now within sight of the end of The Luminaries .. it is a morning book though or a 'wits about you' book anyway. Last night I started The Turn of the Screw by Henry James :hide: I'm actually reading it on my Kindle which is a first .. for a full length book anyway though I know it's not one of the longest. So far, so good .. Henry has rather redeemed himself since our last meeting :giggle: Alan was trying to mend his glasses this evening and needed some distraction so I picked up the book I've just bought (from the charity shop) The Greengage Summer by Rumer Godden and read a couple of chapters out loud. I think he is enjoying it (when he doesn't .. he tends to suddenly start talking in the middle of me reading as if he hasn't heard a word and is just continuing with his train of thought :blush2:  :giggle:) but I am absolutely loving it :smile: Thanks very much to Kidsmum for recommending :friends0:  

Also I've picked up Steve Toltz's A Fraction of the Whole again .. I left off when ill and superstitiously haven't started again but after reading the brilliant review by Books Do Furnish a Room I decided to get back on that particular horse. I didn't think I remembered any of it but bits are coming back to me as I read .. I haven't quite passed the place I left off and will be glad when I do as it will signify progress but it's making me laugh lots. I was also reading The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster and I must pick that up again too .. I think I had got a long way through it but it's quite a complicated tale and I will probably need to start again or do some sort of speed read :readingtwo: .. it will make Kylie happy I know which is a great incentive :smile:

I have an Audible credit to spend and am thinking about downloading Donna Tartt's Goldfinch? .. but then I'm thinking something more Christmassy or wintery might fit the bill .. something soothing maybe? :shrug:  

Edited by poppyshake

Bought Hugh Laurie's The Gun Seller about two weeks ago. Managed around 90 pages in that time and have now given up. The story/plot is ridiculously slow, and the sarcasm/attempts at wit every second or third sentence quickly becomes excruciating. Just could not get into the book. Luckily I have been developing a pile of TBR books so I'll be jumping straight into one of them in the hopes of forgetting about this one!

Edited by 86WM

Frankie, you must read the Moomin books! I read the first one and loved it. It's so charming and cute - much like Winnie the Pooh! I'll read one with you too, if that will help give you a kick in the pants. :P

I acquired the cartoon series recently. I only watched a minute or two of the first episode, but it looks good. :)

I was also reading The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster and I must pick that up again too .. I think I had got a long way through it but it's quite a complicated tale and I will probably need to start again or do some sort of speed read :readingtwo: .. it will make Kylie happy I know which is a great incentive :smile:[/font]

Yes, that will make Kylie very, very happy. :) I'm glad you've picked up A Fraction of the Whole again. And I can't wait to hear your thoughts on A Turn of the Screw. My previous encounter with James has put me off him a little, but I believe AToTS is excellent and quite spooky.

Bought Hugh Laurie's The Gun Seller about two weeks ago. Managed around 90 pages in that time and have now given up. The story/plot is ridiculously slow, and the sarcasm/attempts at wit every second or third sentence quickly becomes excruciating. Just could not get into the book.

Oh, that's a shame. :( I have this on my TBR pile.

Oh, that's a shame. :( I have this on my TBR pile.

Indeed that is a shame. Perhaps you may like it more than I did? Just was definately not to my tastes. To me it honestly seemed as though somebody took a thriller novel and just inserted loads of cheap puns and sarcasm in order to turn it into a comedy. The plot suffers massively as a result. The plot isn't very deep either, it's actually pretty vague up to the point I reached.

On Amazon a lot of people are singing this books praises as if it's a masterpiece so don't just take my word!

Finished Girl, Stolen. I'm now 1/3 of the way through Snow Flower and the Secret Fan - this book is not as interesting as I thought it might be  :unsure: .

Frankie, you must read the Moomin books! I read the first one and loved it. It's so charming and cute - much like Winnie the Pooh! I'll read one with you too, if that will help give you a kick in the pants. :P

I must read them too .. I'm convinced now that I've overlooked some gems :blush2:

Yes, that will make Kylie very, very happy. :)

I promise to do it soon :hug: 

I'm glad you've picked up A Fraction of the Whole again. And I can't wait to hear your thoughts on A Turn of the Screw. My previous encounter with James has put me off him a little, but I believe AToTS is excellent and quite spooky.

A Fraction of the Whole is going well and so is A Turn of the Screw but James is a bit tricksy .. I don't always grasp what he's saying first off and have to read things twice. But a marked improvement on The Ambassadors .. I couldn't have cared less what happened in that story .. it was beyond tedious :giggle:

Finished Girl, Stolen. I'm now 1/3 of the way through Snow Flower and the Secret Fan - this book is not as interesting as I thought it might be  :unsure: .

That's a shame Marie .. it has a great title :blush2:

That's a shame Marie .. it has a great title :blush2:

Yes, I'm a bit disappointed with my disappointment at this book  :blush2: . I chose it for our library reading group a year ago, as well :blush2: . It's a bit of a culture shock, with how harsh women's role was in society, in rural China in the 1820's. 

I'm keeping an open mind about Adrian Mole - I won't let this experience put me off. :)

I'm very happy you're keeping an open mind with Adrian Mole! :) I hope he doesn't disappoint :)

Did someone say Human Traces?? :D

:lol: It will never go unnoticed by you... :D

I've started House of Sand and Fog by Andre Dubus III. 

This is on the Rory Gilmore challenge list, but I know practically nothing about the book... Will be looking forward to reading your thoughts on it! :)

Also I've picked up Steve Toltz's A Fraction of the Whole again .. I left off when ill and superstitiously haven't started again but after reading the brilliant review by Books Do Furnish a Room I decided to get back on that particular horse. I didn't think I remembered any of it but bits are coming back to me as I read .. I haven't quite passed the place I left off and will be glad when I do as it will signify progress but it's making me laugh lots.

Oh, I'm really happy you're enjoying it this time around! :)

I was also reading The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster and I must pick that up again too .. I think I had got a long way through it but it's quite a complicated tale and I will probably need to start again or do some sort of speed read :readingtwo: .. it will make Kylie happy I know which is a great incentive :smile:

Oh yes, I bet Kylie will be thrilled.. And she was :D

But I'm not keen on Winnie the Pooh either... :hide:  :giggle: I know I'm probably the only person who'll say that.

I'm happy to have you accompany me, but do you mind re-reading the first book, as that's the one I'd like to start with? I mean if there's anything to start...

Poppyshake, you quite possibly missed my earlier post in which I asked you if you'd like to do a mini RC together on a Moomin book? It would be nicer to give the books a go with someone who's just as hesitant about them... :)

I finished the Shopaholic last night, I read 280 pages of it in one sitting :D Very good.

Poppyshake, you quite possibly missed my earlier post in which I asked you if you'd like to do a mini RC together on a Moomin book? It would be nicer to give the books a go with someone who's just as hesitant about them... :)

I finished the Shopaholic last night, I read 280 pages of it in one sitting :D Very good.

I will happily join you to read about the Moomins :friends0: .. we will put our past prejudices behind us and see what we make of them when they are in our heads rather than on our screens :D

Awww ... poor Winnie though :(:D

But I'm not keen on Winnie the Pooh either... :hide:  :giggle: I know I'm probably the only person who'll say that.

x

I haven't ever read any books about Winnie the Pooh, but I have a sheet cover of it and it used to sometimes give me bad dreams, so I'm not particularly keen on Winnie the Pooh :hide:.

x

x

Excellent! I want to re-read the series again at some point, I'm glad you enjoyed re-reading it.

I will happily join you to read about the Moomins :friends0: .. we will put our past prejudices behind us and see what we make of them when they are in our heads rather than on our screens :D

Yay, I'm happy to have an equally hesitant and prejudiced first timer read one of the books with me... :giggle2: Say what? We ought to put our past prejudices behind us? Um....

:lol: Yes we will. I will try and find a great copy of the book, one with original illustrations and none of that Japanese stuff (no offence to Japanese anime/manga in general, I've read some/watched some and it's fine, it's just the Moomins I have problems with).

Awww ... poor Winnie though :(:D

:blush: I have thought about reading a Winnie book, too, actually... I never thought I would, I was never keen, but some of the posts of the books and characters on this forum have made me re-evaluate my preconceptions... Oh and Black Beauty, too.

x

I haven't ever read any books about Winnie the Pooh, but I have a sheet cover of it and it used to sometimes give me bad dreams, so I'm not particularly keen on Winnie the Pooh :hide:.

Oh you poor thing! :( No wonder you're keen on reading about him :no::empathy:

Excellent! I want to re-read the series again at some point, I'm glad you enjoyed re-reading it.

It's one of those great series that can stand re-readings, most definitely :)

Now that my exams are over I can get back to reading. Hopefully I shall finish The Grapes of Wrath soon. :smile:

Yay, back to some proper reading :D

I started reading Twenties Girl by Sophie Kinsella last night, I've been wanting to re-read it for a while now. And it's just as good as I remembered :smile2: