Your Book Activity - November 2013

frankie

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finished On The Third Day by Rhys Thomas.

'Society is on the brink of collapse. The Old World is vanishing, the New

World is taking over. There are no rules. Not now that a deadly disease

is spreading that causes its victims to turn violent. Previously

loving people become murderous. No-one can tell who will turn and who

will not.'

Was a good book but seemed a bit long at 631 pages

Now im reading Salems Lot again.

Today I read more of Death and the Penguin. It's a great little book. :)

I got this one for my birthday so excited to hear what you think of it Kylie  :boogie:

Still reading & enjoying Gormenghast  :D

Just finished You're Next by Gregg Hurwitz and, have to say, what an incredible book that was.

If you're a fan of crime thrillers and you've not got this on your must-read list then you're definitely missing a trick.

I'll be investing, in the next week or two, in the rest of Mr Hurwitz's collection. His brilliant writing makes this a cut above your common or garden crime thriller. And though this phrase is woefully over-used, You're Next really is what could accurately be described as a page-turner.

Moved on now to Gone Tomorrow, another in Lee Child's Jack Reacher series. I'm about 100 pages in and it's already grabbed me by the proverbials. Child gets you hopelessly entwined within the first few pages of this one. Excellent so far.

Edited by Sagesmith

I got this one for my birthday so excited to hear what you think of it Kylie  :boogie:

It came highly recommended from Frankie and Poppyshake, so it had better be good! :P I'm a little over halfway now, and I am enjoying it. :)

Glad you're enjoying Gormenghast! I've been getting worried about reading the trilogy because a couple of people have had negative experiences, but hopefully I'll fare better!

Finished Purge this afternoon  :cows: . It has been a bit of a slog, but worth it  :smile: .

I'm happy you thought it was worth it! :smile2: You deserve a bit of light Wodehouse next :giggle:

Finished Yes Man by Danny Wallace, kind of skimmed a bit of it as was a bit samey but was ok.

So you didn't enjoy it all that much, did you? :blush: That's a shame. Do you think you'll let your son read it?

I started reading The Radleys by Matt Haig today, and it's sooooo good!! :smile2:

The Radleys was great, and not just a little quirky, I know frankie enjoyed it too! :)

That's a great book, most definitely! You have a few interesting things coming your way! :smile2:

It came highly recommended from Frankie and Poppyshake, so it had better be good! :P I'm a little over halfway now, and I am enjoying it. :)

Glad you're enjoying Gormenghast! I've been getting worried about reading the trilogy because a couple of people have had negative experiences, but hopefully I'll fare better!

Oh the Deathy Penguin book is great! :smile2: I hope you enjoy it, Kidsmum!! :)

Kylie, Gormenghast is brilliant!! But one needs to be in the right mood for it. And it's not a quick and easy read. But it's so, so great when you get into it :smile2:

I haven't done a lot of reading lately.. Been stressed with this and that and so haven't gotten further with Gormenghast :( But I've made another dent in the All American dictionary at least.

I haven't done a lot of reading lately.. Been stressed with this and that and so haven't gotten further with Gormenghast :( But I've made another dent in the All American dictionary at least.

x

Awww, I hope you'll be less stressed soon :hug:. Know that you can always talk with your friends here on BCF :friends3:.

I finished all the books I was reading and have now started Scarlett Bailey - Married By Christmas as a Christmas read. It's a chick-lit book. I've read one other book by this author (also Christmassy) and quite enjoyed it. I'm at page 105 and am enjoying it so far. The main character and I have some similarities, so I can understand her motivations quite well, so far (for example, she's also organised, loves to plan and doesn't like it when unexpected things happen).

Edited by Athena

I'm happy you thought it was worth it! :smile2: You deserve a bit of light Wodehouse next :giggle:

Yup, a couple of hours of Jeeves and Wooster was a pick-me-up :D .

Purge was a good book, but wow  :o , it was a bit upsetting a few times in the book  :wibbly:. But worth it in the end.

Edited by Marie H

Just added most of the books discussed here on my wishlist.. the one I will accidentally drop where Santa can read it :D  I usually have a lot of Santas complaining about how difficult is to give me a book because I read too much (!!!), so I'll make their lives easier!

Finished The Book Thief and it's really wonderful!!! Really well written and it's so touching (ok, I confess: sometimes cried).

I'm finishing T.S.Eliot's Middlemarch tonight, just a few pages left.. high literature, really enjoyed it. I'll go to the library tomorrow so I have to decide what to read next.

Just added most of the books discussed here on my wishlist.. the one I will accidentally drop where Santa can read it :D  I usually have a lot of Santas complaining about how difficult is to give me a book because I read too much (!!!), so I'll make their lives easier!

Finished The Book Thief and it's really wonderful!!! Really well written and it's so touching (ok, I confess: sometimes cried).

I'm finishing T.S.Eliot's Middlemarch tonight, just a few pages left.. high literature, really enjoyed it. I'll go to the library tomorrow so I have to decide what to read next.

x

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed The Book Thief :)! It has some very touching moment that make one want to cry. I'm glad you liked it :).

Yay! So glad you enjoyed The Book Thief. I don't know of anyone who didn't cry while reading it. ;)

Good recommendations i'll have to move it up my list  :smile:

I'm loving Gormenghast, i was worried that it might not be my sort of book as well, i'm not a big fan of fantasy either but it's certainly got my mojo zinging  :D

Oh the Deathy Penguin book is great! :smile2: I hope you enjoy it, Kidsmum!! :)

Kylie, Gormenghast is brilliant!! But one needs to be in the right mood for it. And it's not a quick and easy read. But it's so, so great when you get into it :smile2:

I'm going to make it my next read i think,  although i'm really, really enjoying Gormenghast i need to take a break from it before i start the final book. Glad to hear your enjoying it as much as Poppysake & i did, i was beginning to think we were going to be the only ones who raved about it  :giggle2:

The Book Thief is a great read isn't it, one of my daughters just finished reading it as well & felt the same as you about it  :smile:

Middlemarch is one of my favourites by Eliot, i'm looking forward to reading it for the English Counties reading challenge. Have you read Silas Marner ? I really enjoyed that as well  :readingtwo:

Less than 100 pages to go in Gormenghast  :smile: