Your Book Activity - November 2013

frankie

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Listened to the first cd of A Fraction of the Whole by Steve Toltz last night. What a corker of a book it is  :D , I giggled so much. Bought the ebook today, as there were so many memorable gems in the book, I have to re-read them again (and again). 

Bought three ebooks by Robert Louis Stevenson: Kidnapped, Catriona or David Balfour (A Sequel to Kidnapped) and The Black Arrow. Never read RLS's novels before,so it will be a new direction for me.

Edited by Marie H

Listened to the first cd of A Fraction of the Whole by Steve Toltz last night. What a corker of a book it is  :D , I giggled so much. Bought the ebook today, as there were so many memorable gems in the book, I have to re-read them again (and again). 

This is encouraging Marie :) I was actually reading it (but hadn't got far) when I became ill earlier this year and I've had a ridiculous superstition about it ever since .. like I know for a few pages at least I'll be plunged back into feeling as I did. Absolute nonsense of course .. the book didn't cause me to be ill but I didn't want to be reminded so haven't gone back to it. It sounds like it will be a tonic as much as anything so you've convinced me to pick it up again and crack on with it :smile:  

Or I will as soon as I've finished the two books I'm reading at the moment :blush2: 

This is encouraging Marie :) I was actually reading it (but hadn't got far) when I became ill earlier this year and I've had a ridiculous superstition about it ever since .. like I know for a few pages at least I'll be plunged back into feeling as I did. Absolute nonsense of course .. the book didn't cause me to be ill but I didn't want to be reminded so haven't gone back to it. It sounds like it will be a tonic as much as anything so you've convinced me to pick it up again and crack on with it :smile:  

Or I will as soon as I've finished the two books I'm reading at the moment :blush2: 

x

That could've happened to me too. I can be superstitious like that too. :hug:

Sounds promising! :D I love books that will make you laugh.

Oh darling :empathy:  That is such a nasty feeling, I'm sure. You know it's superstition, but knowing it doesn't always help the heart know it, too. I hope you will overcome this in time and get to reading the book, and love it! :readingtwo: 

Okay, so I was wrong: you can read Titus Groan, the omnibus, in bed :D You just have to not think about how heavy the book is... Wohoo! :D

Edited by frankie

I do hope that you read, and enjoy, the book poppyshake. I think the characters are rather weird, it's as if Steve Toltz has a rather warped sense of humour; a bit like Clive James, but more warped.

Oh yes, I know what you mean about the superstition :empathy: . In my case it is slightly different; I went to a funeral of a friend who we have been quite close to, and she died suddenly at 40. The music played at the end of the funeral was Eva Cassidy's Somewhere Over the Rainbow,but the worst thing was that the CD playing was jumping,repeating and leaping about, so was terrible to listen to. I can never listen to it now, without thinking of her funeral. :(

The Assassin's Prayer is the 4th in the Mistress of the Art of Death series.  I've read the first two in the series, and pretty much enjoyed them.  I don't have this one though.

Thanks  Pontalba, it seems an odd choice going for the fourth book in the series but i'm guessing you don't have top read them in order :smile:

I've made a start on Gormenghast   Mervyn Peake but haven't got very far as other stuff keeps getting in the way, still what i've read so far has been good :D

I've made a start on Gormenghast   Mervyn Peake but haven't got very far as other stuff keeps getting in the way, still what i've read so far has been good :D

Awesome! :) I hope you'll have more time for it so you can get cracking :)

I'm halfway through Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn, and really enjoying it.

Been on a bit of a book spree too - damn you Amazon! (but thanks Brian, for making me aware of the Bergkamp 49p deal!)

I have another 62 pages go to read of Purge by Sofi Oksanen. There was another twist in the tale when I read last night. Hope to finish it this weekend.

Started Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See yesterday, but only read as far as page 28, so it's too early to if it will be good.

x

I'm glad you're enjoying Gone Girl, it's on my TBR.

I've almost finished Phil McGraw - The Ultimate Weight Solution: The 7 Keys to Weight Loss Freedom on the Kindle and I'm making good process with the second Mind Gym book, The Mind Gym - The Mind Gym 2: Tijd Maken. I haven't yet started a new fiction read.

In other news, I've ordered a few books.

I'm about a third of the way through The Grapes of Wrath. I'm really enjoying it, though my reading is quite slow at the moment.

I'm happy you're liking the book. A very difficult subject matter, is it not? Steinbeck isn't letting the reader easily... :(

Been on a bit of a book spree too - damn you Amazon! (but thanks Brian, for making me aware of the Bergkamp 49p deal!)

:D A book spree isn't too bad if the books are so cheap... ;):giggle:

Finished The Road by Cormac McCarthy, now onto Playing for Pizza by John Grisham.

How did you like The Road?

I have another 62 pages go to read of Purge by Sofi Oksanen. There was another twist in the tale when I read last night. Hope to finish it this weekend.

Keeping fingers crossed for you :)

I couldn't get any sleep last night! It was dreadful. But at least I managed to read... :D I read more of Titus Groan. It's really slow going, but boy oh boy, it's bloody marvellous :o I'm shocked how marvellous it is.

I also made a real dent in the All American dictionary. Some interesting stuff in there for sure! :D

I'm happy you're liking the book. A very difficult subject matter, is it not? Steinbeck isn't letting the reader easily... :(

Yes, the subject matter is quite painful. I have a feeling it's not going to end well, which is probably why I'm in no hurry to finish it. :hide:

Finished Purge this afternoon  :cows: . It has been a bit of a slog, but worth it  :smile: .

As for Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See my oh my  :o. I knew that it was going to about foot binding, but as the book blurb said as being "startling vivid" doesn't really explain how very graphic the book is! I'm glad that had my tea before I had read further than page 28  :blush2: . I think some light evening reading with P G Wodehouse is the best for me...

Thanks  Pontalba, it seems an odd choice going for the fourth book in the series but i'm guessing you don't have top read them in order :smile:

Probably, I suppose most of the important details will be repeated in the subsequent books. 

Glad to hear it, I enjoyed GG. :)

Yays on book sprees!!

Glad you are liking Gone Girl. It's a marmite book, but I enjoyed it. :smile:

'Tis, isn't it. :D

Finished The Road by Cormac McCarthy, now onto Playing for Pizza by John Grisham.

Oh, I thought The Road was great! 

Awesome! :) I hope you'll have more time for it so you can get cracking :)

I've gotten quite a chunk of it read over the last couple of nights so doing well  :smile:

I'm about a third of the way through The Grapes of Wrath. I'm really enjoying it, though my reading is quite slow at the moment.

I've never read any Steinbeck but we do have a copy of Mice & Men as one of the older children studied it for their GCSE so i will get round to reading it one day. I'll be interested to hear what you think of Grapes Of Wrath  :smile:

I'd forgotten i had this on my TBR pile i'll have to dig it out  :smile:

Book sales are so tempting aren't they, it's hard to stop once you start clicking that Buy button, so many bargains  :D

Started Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See yesterday, but only read as far as page 28, so it's too early to if it will be good.

I have Snowflower on my TBR pile, i'm pretty sure i bought it because my sister recommended it.... i'm so easily influenced someone just has to mention they liked a book & i have to have it  :doh:

Probably, I suppose most of the important details will be repeated in the subsequent books. 

Yes that would make sense..... it's just that if i'm going to read a series i always feel like i have to start at the beginning ...... i guess i'm just & orderly person  :blush2:

I'm cracking on with Gormenghast, there's been a few parts where it's dragged but overall i'm still enjoying the story  :D

I'm reading Girl Stolen by April Henry and its actually good.

Oh I'm glad you're liking Girl Stolen, I'm picking a copy from the library tomorrow  :smile: .