Your Book Activity - November 2013

frankie

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh dear, another way to buy books! :hide:

I have managed to restrain myself, just let them my email, that's all :blush2: . I would hate to miss out anything in the offer  :giggle2: .

Oh dear, another way to buy books! :hide:

I have managed to restrain myself, just let them my email, that's all :blush2: . I would hate to miss out anything in the offer  :giggle2: .

I just realised it's 50 offers, so it's one every half hour.... Much better (and much more tempting) than the usual ones with one offer per hour... :hide:  :giggle:

They've done the half hour deals the last few times. More books is good, but I think it's even more competitive. If you don't get in within the first minute or two, you miss out. :(

They've done the half hour deals the last few times. More books is good, but I think it's even more competitive. If you don't get in within the first minute or two, you miss out. :(

Oh yes, that's a good point. Good point, but awful point :(

Oh yes, Poppyshake. You need to be ready right on the dot to press refresh every half an hour (there will be a countdown timer on the home page). You should already be logged in and have your payment details saved to help it along. You really need to be quick!

Feels like ages since I finished a book, but today I achieved just that task. :D  I read the end of The Misremembered Man and thought it was a good read, mixing the slightly lighthearted with the heartbreaking, and despite the clues all the way along as I look back at it in hindsight, it took me quite a while to see where the story was headed.

I went to my book group meeting tonight before heading off to the bonfire. The book we were discussing was Red House  Mark Haddon out of the five only two of us finished it & i was the only one that enjoyed it , i couldn't believe it, it was such a good read imo  :doh: Anyway our new book is The Assassin's Prayer Ariana Franklin, it's a medieval whodunnit, i've not heard of her before so i was wondering if anyone else has read any of her books?

I went to my book group meeting tonight before heading off to the bonfire. The book we were discussing was Red House  Mark Haddon out of the five only two of us finished it & i was the only one that enjoyed it , i couldn't believe it, it was such a good read imo  :doh: Anyway our new book is The Assassin's Prayer Ariana Franklin, it's a medieval whodunnit, i've not heard of her before so i was wondering if anyone else has read any of her books?

The Assassin's Prayer is the 4th in the Mistress of the Art of Death series.  I've read the first two in the series, and pretty much enjoyed them.  I don't have this one though.

I'm just about to finish The Black Box by Michael Connelly. And I've just bought Bad Luck And Trouble by Lee Child (£2 in Oxfam mint condition) but have so many others on the shelf and my TBR list already. I may take a break from Thrillers (having read four James Patterson, one Lee Child and the Michael Connelly books in the last seven days - I had a week's annual leave) and go for something humorous, maybe The Midden by Tom Sharpe, which is one of the few I haven't yet read and is sitting on the bookshelf screaming at me to pick it up. Have I told you how I got kicked out of an O Level exam for laughing too loud at a passage from a Tom Sharpe book I had recently read?

Went a bit book crazy with the cheap and freebie eBook store   :blush2:  :giggle2:  :rolol:

Idle Thoughts of an Idle Fellow by Jerome K Jerome

Best Russian short stories by Alexander Pushkin, Nikolai Gogol and Leo Tolstoy

War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy

The Book of Tea by Kakuzo Okakura

Of Human Bondage by W. Somerset Maugham

Precious Bane by Mary Webb.

To the Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf.

The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde.

Shirley by Charlotte Brontë.

The Man Upstairs and Other Stories by PG Wodehouse.

The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson

Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë

Moll Flanders by Daniel Defoe.

Human, All Too Human by Friedrich Nietzsche

The Arabian nights by Andrew Lang.

140 Classic Novels and Short Stories by HH Munro

x

Nice haul :)!

I popped into my local charity shop yesterday and bought 7 Roald Dahl books in excellent condition. After I have persuaded my husband to read 'Danny The Champion Of The World' II think he will love it!)I will be giving them to my great-nephews when we next visit - they are 12 years old 8 years old and are book happy kids, so I always want to encourage them.

I also picked up 'Warm Bodies' by Isaac Marion. The total for the 8 book was £5. I'm a happy book buyer! :smile:

x

Nice haul :)! I recently read Danny the Champion of the World and quite liked it.

89% read of A Tale for a Time Being, and hope to finish it today. I had to stop reading it last night - it was starting about Schrödinger's Cat, and it was not the time of the day to try to follow quantum physic :giggle2:

x

This sounds very interesting! I like quantum physics.

Starting Titus Groan..

Two days ago i finished reading Pride and Prejudice- Jane Austen. I know it's old book, but i couldn't ascertain to read. I thought it is boring and not interesting, because it was written in XIX century.

After reading few pages, i loved this book and i couldn't leave it. Suddenly, i changed the opinion about story.

I would like to recommend this book!

finished Peter Clines 14 and hoping to finish The Husband's Secret tonight

Ooh, I have been thinking of trying The Husband's Secret for a while. Look forward to your review  :smile:

Audiobooks from the library today - Doppler by Erlend Loe (Norwegian author), and A Fraction of the Whole by Steve Toltz (Australian). Both will be for my World Tour by Fiction. Very excited about Steve Toltz' book after reading review recently!  :exc:

Edited by Marie H

Audiobooks from the library today - Doppler by Erlend Loe (Norwegian author), and A Fraction of the Whole by Steve Toltz (Australian). Both will be for my World Tour by Fiction. Very excited about Steve Toltz' book after reading review recently!  :exc:

Yay, that's great about the Toltz book! :D

I'm getting a little down over how little reading I've been doing lately, what with the puppy, being busy with the kids and Steve being home, and now starting to organise the school Christmas Fair.  At one point this year I was 8 books ahead with my Goodreads reading challenge, now I am just breaking even. :(  It doesn't help that Titus Groan isn't grabbing me yet and I don't know if it will, I know my Dad will be disappointed if I don't like it too. :(

I've finished Joe Abercrombie's - The Blade Itself, 515 pages without preview. I will be starting Before They Are Hanged, later.

After this set I plan to read Old Man's War by John Scalzi.

Edited by dex

I'm getting a little down over how little reading I've been doing lately, what with the puppy, being busy with the kids and Steve being home, and now starting to organise the school Christmas Fair.  At one point this year I was 8 books ahead with my Goodreads reading challenge, now I am just breaking even. :(  It doesn't help that Titus Groan isn't grabbing me yet and I don't know if it will, I know my Dad will be disappointed if I don't like it too. :(

Oh chalie :empathy: :empathy:  It's just a bad timing for you now, things will slow down for you eventually. If you're breaking even, it's still very good. I'm almost 20 books behind on my schedule, if that's any comfort :D  Have you told your Dad that you've already started TG? Maybe you could try it another time? :shrug: It seems like you are busy enough as it is, and if it's not grabbing you at the moment, it'll only slow you down. You might really like it some other time, when you're in the right mood :yes:

x

Awww :(, I hope you feel better soon. Breaking even is not too bad, but if you're very busy and don't feel like reading, that's never nice. I hope the book gets better soon, otherwise it might be better to read something else and return to Titus Groan at a later time. :hug:.

Aww poor chalie :hug: don't stress. Dad will be happy you've given it a go and maybe you can pick it up again when less busy. Life is getting in the way and that can only be a good thing .. books can wait .. life cannot .. enjoy the puppy and the kids and Steve and the Christmas Fair (though ... sympathies with that last one  :friends0: .. the mere mention of Christmas is making me panicky  :wibbly:  :D)

Plodding on with The Luminaries .. quite gripping but requires monumental concentration to keep the threads in place. Also reading The Winter Ground by Catriona McPherson .. it hasn't quite clicked in yet .. it's easy enough but I'm not gripped yet.

Edited by poppyshake