The Predicted UK Storm

Michelle

I'm not sure where everyone lives, and therefore what your risk is - what's the forecast for your area, and have you all gotten all the loose things from your garden?

We're in the South East, close to London, and it shouldn't be too bad here - the forecast shows 30mph at it's height, with gusts of 56mph. Thankfully it's half term, and unusually both Glen and I are off tomorrow, so if there are any roads blocked, it won't affect us getting to work. I do have a hospital appointment in the afternoon, so I hope all is ok by then.

Stay safe everyone, and keep us updated.

Fingers crossed it won't be as bad as predicted. The road outside my house does flood at the slightest provocation so I'm a bit worried about that as we have a basement (which has flooded in the past .. though not since we've lived here) .. also worried about mum and dad down on the Sussex coast. Certainly the weather is terrible outside at the moment so if this is just the start :o 

Keep safe everyone .. hold on tight :friends0: xx

I'm on the Devon coast and have been keeping an eye on the Met Office site (as well as constantly looking out the window). The warnings we have are from 3am on Monday (tomorrow) until about midday. The forecast is showing winds at 38mph at the strongest, with gusts of 61mph and that's at midnight. From there it seems to taper off, so perhaps it won't be as bad as the media is suggesting? I can't really imagine what gusts of 61mph feels like. :blink:

I have my Kindle charged and one of those windup torches (in case of blackout), so my priorities are sorted. :P

Fingers crossed it doesn't do too much damage and this is a case of media hype.

Fingers crossed it doesn't do too much damage and this is a case of media hype.

They daren't under estimate it .. after Michael Fish's catastrophic 'there isn't a hurricane on the way' weather report of 1987 :roll2: Let's hope it's just that though and they're being all belt and braces.

Hope everyone stays safe and it's not as bad as predicted :friends0: 

I have my Kindle charged and one of those windup torches (in case of blackout), so my priorities are sorted. :P

You're all sorted then. ;) 

They daren't under estimate it .. after Michael Fish's catastrophic 'there isn't a hurricane on the way' weather report of 1987 :roll2: Let's hope it's just that though and they're being all belt and braces.

I've never heard that before PoppyS ....I had to look it up. New phrase for the day 'All belt and braces.' Love it! :D

Edited by poppy

I'm sitting here with the wind whipping with a howl around the house. Last night it was wild out there, but so far (and I type this with fingers crossed) no local damage to report. I couldn't take the broom stick out, so I'll have to leave it until the 31st. :giggle2:  

Stay safe and warm everyone! :smile:

Spoke too soon, we have a fence panel down, it was a bit rotten with a lot of (neighbours) ivy on it. Thankfully this particular neighbour doesn't have a dog so it'll just be a case of supervising ours until we get it fixed, pretty glad Steve is still home to sort it as I'm rubbish with things like this!

I woke up at 4am and it was blowing fairly hard here (Bedford) but it has settled down now. Looking out my window there doesn't appear to be any damage but no doubt some places would have come off worse. The media do love to hype these kinds of things up but in this case the weather forecasters were unsure of the storm's track or how bad it was going to be. They prefer to be over cautious with these things as they have been badly caught out in the past.

Have been out properly now as I am dog sitting and he needed a walk. A few of our roads are closed due to tree falls, and there is very little traffic on the roads. It is still very gusty and we have intermittent hard rain.

Our conservatory is still standing, but my theory is that there are so many gaps in it, the wind blew through it rather than at it!

Some trees/branches down in the village too judging by Facebook posts.  Still a bit breezy but almost blown itself out here now, will head up to the Country Park in a bit to see how it is up there. :)

Be safe!!

I woke up at 4am and it was blowing fairly hard here (Bedford) but it has settled down now. Looking out my window there doesn't appear to be any damage but no doubt some places would have come off worse. The media do love to hype these kinds of things up but in this case the weather forecasters were unsure of the storm's track or how bad it was going to be. They prefer to be over cautious with these things as they have been badly caught out in the past.

That makes sense, of course.

(They are now warning Finland about the same storm, it's heading our way, but I don't think it's going to be nearly as bad as yours, judging from the meters/second of the winds on the forecast... If somebody missed something in the wind, I'll keep an eye out, maybe I can catch it and send back to you in a box!)

Our conservatory is still standing, but my theory is that there are so many gaps in it, the wind blew through it rather than at it!

:D Good thinking!

I'm glad to hear you're all okay, so far. It's stormy here too (probably coming here from the UK), but I don't think it's as bad as in the UK. Still, I'm staying inside until the worst is over. At the moment it seems calm but my mum said they predicted the worst weather might happen around lunch time. Some of the little chicken are inside, because it's not safe for them to be outside. I hope you're all allright!

I'm glad to hear you're all okay, so far. It's stormy here too (probably coming here from the UK), but I don't think it's as bad as in the UK. Still, I'm staying inside until the worst is over. At the moment it seems calm but my mum said they predicted the worst weather might happen around lunch time. Some of the little chicken are inside, because it's not safe for them to be outside. I hope you're all allright!

Us Brits love to share with our European neighbours! :P

So far the wind is not too bad here .. the rain is awful though and the road is flooding .. if it continues then we might be in trouble :( ... it's already breached the pavement and, as we have no front garden to speak of, the basement might be affected. The fallen leaves have just made it more difficult for the drains to cope .. if the rain should let up for a while though it should be okay .. fingers crossed. All our fence panels and trees are holding up well .. glad to hear everyone is safe and sound .. what a day!!

Betty is paddling again .. she quite likes it I think :)

post-5612-0-90501300-1382955554_thumb.jpg

post-5612-0-13602000-1382955567_thumb.jpg

post-5612-0-61635100-1382955578_thumb.jpg

post-5612-0-52097200-1382955848_thumb.jpg

Edited by poppyshake