Simon Kernick

They were raving about it on Richard and Judy today. It does sound good, a pacy thriller, easy to read and gripping as opposed to meaty literature from what I gather but I had to switch over, they were telling me too much!! I like to find out what happens by reading!!

I found it a bit far-fetched, but as thrillers go it was an ok read. Not sure that it's something special though, although the story strays a bit from the norm, so that's a good thing. I'll look forward to hearing what you think of it.

I completed the book last night and confess that I was a bit disappointed. A bit overpaced and far-fetched with too many possibilities for "why not?" speculation. Also, too many twists towards the end and so it eventually ran out of credibility.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I loved it. It did have some parts that weren't great, but don't all books?

On the whole, since reading Relentless (and then Severed) I have gone through the entire back catalogue of Simon Kernick's books, and am rapidly becoming a fan.

His books have pace, suspense, twists and are well researched.

I also like the fact that characters from earlier books crop up in the newer ones. They're not in a series per se, but I feel it adds to the realism.

• 1 month later...

Has anyone read any of his books?

I picked up 'Deadline' by accident in the library last week. Have never heard of the author before but the blurb on the cover sounded like a good plot so I thought i would give it a go.

Nearly 3/4's of the way through and I'm really enjoying it. It's one of them books that I don't want to put down.

Just wondered if anyone else has read anything by him and what they think.

I picked up 'Deadline' by accident in the library last week. Have never heard of the author before but the blurb on the cover sounded like a good plot so I thought i would give it a go.

Was it Relentless, as there's a discussion about it here?

:blush: sorry!

I decided to merge both threads anyway, under just his name. :)

• 4 months later...
I completed the book last night and confess that I was a bit disappointed. A bit overpaced and far-fetched with too many possibilities for "why not?" speculation. Also, too many twists towards the end and so it eventually ran out of credibility.

This is pretty much my overall impression of Simon Kernick. To me, it always seems like he's over-trying and to be honest, I'm not a fan of his style of writing.

That said, I've read 3 of his books so far and they were ok - personally though, to be a fan of someone, I need to think their books are more than 'ok'. I will read more of his though.