Has anyone read...?

Janet

• Replies 637
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello: I am the author of Clouds Across the Sun and I am thrilled that it is being read in England. Please let me know what you think about the book. I hope others will read and enjoy it. I have been getting rave reviews in the US. Can you tell me how you found out about the book?

All the best,

Ellen Brazer

Hi, it's great that you're on the forum. I'm not in England, but the US. I look forward to reading your book. Thank you for responding. :D

L'Mort D'Arthur?

The Wordsworth edition, in specific. I'm wondering if it's worth starting a city-wide hunt for.

I've been thinking of hunting this one down as well - I've always been a fan of the Arthurian legends, so to go back and read the originals (or as near to the originals as we have) would be great! If you track down a copy, let me know - as well as telling me if it's any good! :D

@ Vinay & Kell: Back in uni, I read the Oxford edition of Malory's works, which I would not recommend as the spelling poses a major barrier - I had to look at the text for days on end to start understanding what was going on. The one I saw in a bookshop and have wanted ever since is this here edition of Le Morte D'Arthur, which keeps the original syntax but modernises spelling throughout (most modernised editions tinker with syntax also), thus giving a version which is as close as it can be to the original without being untintellegible. It's not cheap but I think it worth the investment, as the story itself is definitely worth reading.

@ Cookie: since Che was such a prolific autobiographer, I think you'd probably get a much better picture of what he was like from his own stuff: The Motorcycle Diaries, Guerrilla Warfare and The Bolivian Diary.

@ Vinay & Kell: Back in uni, I read the Oxford edition of Malory's works, which I would not recommend as the spelling poses a major barrier - I had to look at the text for days on end to start understanding what was going on. The one I saw in a bookshop and have wanted ever since is this here edition of Le Morte D'Arthur, which keeps the original syntax but modernises spelling throughout (most modernised editions tinker with syntax also), thus giving a version which is as close as it can be to the original without being untintellegible. It's not cheap but I think it worth the investment, as the story itself is definitely worth reading.

Okies.

haha I hate old English spelling. Rather I hate that I can't read it comfortably. Which explains why my copy of the Canterbury Tales lies unread.

Edited by Nollaig

@ Cookie: since Che was such a prolific autobiographer, I think you'd probably get a much better picture of what he was like from his own stuff: The Motorcycle Diaries, Guerrilla Warfare and The Bolivian Diary.

Thanks for this! I'm off to compare prices.

I hear you about Middle English, which is why I never managed to get through Chaucer even though The Canterbury Tales were a set text for the same module I had to read Malory for! I think I only passed Narratives of Power because my prof. had a God-given gift for storytelling and could make anything as interesting and relevant as if it had been written tomorrow morning.

@ Cookie: no problem :roll:.

Edited by Nollaig

Has anyone read Che Guevara: A Revolutionary Life?

I would like to read a biography on Che Guevara and this one has really good reviews on Amazon.

I read this a couple of years ago and it is an AMAZING book!! It is very well written, and incredibly detailed. The book covers his entire life (more in fact, it covers from before he was born to after he died) and really gives you a good idea of what he was like as a man.

The writer spent several years in Cuba, and had the full cooperation of people who knew Che Guevera (including his widow) and also had access to some of Che's unpublished diaries and writings.

I saw that Bookjumper recommended you read Che Guevaras own diaries, which I also recommend (I haven't read them yet myself, but they're on my bookshelf!) but I would also recommend you read this book to get an idea of Che Guevara in his historical context. It will also fill in all the blanks, as I believe there are only 3 published diaries covering his early travels around South America, the Cuban revolution and his time in Bolivia. This book will fill in the bits in between nicely so you get a really good overview.

As you can tell by my somewhat lengthy reply, I do absolutely love this book. Please do read it and please tell me what you think :ditto:

Has anyone here read the semi-autobiography of Mr Tayto (an Irish crisp brand) called The Man Inside The Jacket? I am sure the many irish members here have read it, it was so popular over christmas that it outsold every other book in the Irish charts. I read it lastnight in one sitting and its funny enough but not exactly side-splitting. A good read but a tad overhyped.

Has anyone here read the semi-autobiography of Mr Tayto (an Irish crisp brand) called The Man Inside The Jacket? I am sure the many irish members here have read it, it was so popular over christmas that it outsold every other book in the Irish charts. I read it lastnight in one sitting and its funny enough but not exactly side-splitting. A good read but a tad overhyped.

Oh my goodness, Tayto cheese and onion crisps are the best cheese and onion crisps ever, nothing competes! mmmm Tayto ... ;)

Oh sorry! :lol: In answer to your question, no I've never read it but it does sound pretty entertaining. Everytime I think of Tayto I think of Tandragee and the Tayto castle! :lol: I didn't realise there was actually a Mr Tayto, I thought it was all just clever advertising, learn something new everyday eh? :)

Anyone familiar with Sun Tzu's The Art of War? I desperately want to read it (quite a fan of all aspects of history), and I'd like to hear some opinions.

There are 2 good translations available; dr giles (1910) and Samuel B Griffith (1963). The 1963 translation is more lucid, but lacks the notes of the 1910 translation. I'm part way through the 1910 translation available at Project Gutenberg. There is alot of interesting background information, besides Sun Tzu's text.

Anyone familiar with Sun Tzu's The Art of War? I desperately want to read it (quite a fan of all aspects of history), and I'd like to hear some opinions.

I'll review it? :lol: It's on my TBR, but a small book like that won't take me more than a day... Besides, I've perused through it already.

Oh my goodness, Tayto cheese and onion crisps are the best cheese and onion crisps ever, nothing competes! mmmm Tayto ... ;)

Oh sorry! :lol: In answer to your question, no I've never read it but it does sound pretty entertaining. Everytime I think of Tayto I think of Tandragee and the Tayto castle! :lol: I didn't realise there was actually a Mr Tayto, I thought it was all just clever advertising, learn something new everyday eh? :)

Ha, yes, Tayto is an iconic brand of crisps here and very tasty to boot! There isnt an actual living Mr. Tayto, there is just an image of a potato man on the front of the packet and some clever person decided to bring him to life by writing a book describing the 'life and times' of this character, along with school pictures and a chapter dedicated to his search for love :)

There are 2 good translations available; dr giles (1910) and Samuel B Griffith (1963). The 1963 translation is more lucid, but lacks the notes of the 1910 translation. I'm part way through the 1910 translation available at Project Gutenberg. There is alot of interesting background information, besides Sun Tzu's text.

I've bought the 1963 version in my local bookshop, but translated into Dutch . It's a newly illustrated edition, which looks absolutely gorgeous. Thank you for your recommendation.