The Great and Secret Show by Clive Barker

Echo

Title: The Great and Secret Show

Author: Clive Barker

Date of Publication: 1989, Harper & Row

ISBN: 0-06-016276-7

550 pages

Down-and-outer Randolph Jaffe works in the dead-letter office in Omaha. Reading through the mass of mail, he finds clues to an alternative reality, the laws of which are called "the Art." Mastering these principles, he becomes powerful but evil, and presses into service a man named Fletcher, who synthesizes a transforming drug, the Nuncio. Later understanding the corrupting nature of his creation, Fletcher rebels against Jaffe, and the two, now demigods, engage in a cosmic struggle. To enlist allies, each sires offspring (using the seed of mortal men), and their spiritual children help to carry on the bizarre battle.

This book is actually the first in a two-part series, ending with Everville, and is also called The First Book of the Art. Barker does an amazing job describing the alternative reality, and while reading, I would catch myself actually believing in it. He made it seem completely acceptable. The characters are very well developed; however, I would have liked it if Jaffe had remained as sinister as he started. But the book is not a simple story about Fletcher and Jaffe, but about their "children" and their effect on the fate of the world.

Here are some quotes from the book.

"There they met, in a confrontation as brutal as it was inconclusive. Fuelled by a passion for each other's destruction which had long ago escalated beyond the issue of the Art and its possessing, and was now as devoted and as intimate as love, they fought for five nights." pg. 46

"It was the Grove itself, however, which had borne the brunt of the night's magic. Its streets had seen horrors. Its citizens had been torched by spirits.

Soon, war." pg. 241

I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys Stephen King, Dean Koontz, John Saul, or any other horror fiction writer. Although this story is more fantasy than horror, it will appeal to anyone who appreciates the weirder side of life.

I read 'The Great and Secret Show' years ago now and I loved it, the characters were great, I thought the Jaffe was great and I agree Jaffe became less sinister as the story continue.

I highly recommend it too x