Elbereth's Reading List-July to September

Echo

My reading list is going to seem a bit strange, beause they are all old books that I've mostly read before. This is partly because I can't afford any new books, but I also want to get myself into shape for my classes this fall. After looking at my list, if you want to make suggestions, please do so! There is a great used bookstore nearby, and I can pick up a few new ones if you highly recommend them.

Night by Elie Wiesel

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

Orlando by Virginia Woolf

Damnation Game by Clive Barker

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling

David Copperfield by Charles Dickens

Middlemarch by George Eliot

That's probably all I can handle for the next two months. I tend to be a lazy reader, and by that I mean that I don't often expose myself to new authors. I love to re-read books, and explore one author until I've read everything they've written. I'll update my list as soon as I make a dent in it.

• 2 weeks later...

Many of these come from your recommendations...if anyone has thoughts or suggestions, please let me know!

The Kite Runner

The Time Traveler's Wife

The Killings at Badger's Drift (I'm a Midsomer Murders fanatic!!)

Water for Elephants

A Thousand Splendid Suns

The Memory Keeper's Daughter

Snow Flower and the Secret Fan

The Crimson Petal and the White

Wise Children - Angela Carter

Nights at the Circus - Angela Carter

The Trouble With Magic - Madelyne Alt

Mistress of the Art of Death

The Dark Flight Down

The Book of Dead Days

I've felt like that too since I started putting together a to read list! I have 6 books out the library at the moment but sadly I will probably have return some without reading them :hyper: I don't think the library would feel very kindly towards me if I took them to the other end of the country when I move!

Not that I'm trying to make your list any longer, but have you seen the review for John Connolly's 'Book of Lost Things'? I saw it and added it to my list. Managed to get hold of it this weekend and enjoyed it so much I just can't stop enthusing about it! Wondered if it might be your cup of tea if you like things like Harry Potter.

I took a look at the reviews on Amazon, and it looks great! So, another to add to my list. Seriously, I need to invest in a library card.

Do you have to pay for library cards in the US? So long as we can prove we live in the area (recent bill with name and address usually suffices) we can get a library card for free. We only get charged on over due books, reservations thats kind of thing.

I just finished Notes on a Scandal about 4 minutes ago. I love that the ending was different than the movie's and that I was left with a sinister impression of Barbara, and that it came from sort of underneath the pages. Great book! :hyper:

Mahy of you will think me a little crazy, but I have not read any of the books on my list yet! They're definitely all on my wish list, but I'll maybe hope to read them all within the next year! :)

So, here's an updated list of books I will actually read, or am reading:

The Tommyknockers currently reading

Agnes Grey

The Book of the Dead

The Pickwick Papers

Middlemarch will attempt to re-read

Invisible Prey the newest prey novel by John Sandford!! :lol:

Vanity Fair a re-read...one of my all-time favorites!!

I can really see what my tastes are now. I love the classics and modern thrillers! What a weird mixture of genres! :hyper:

I just finished The Book of the Dead today and it actually astonished me! It was unbelievably creepy and sad at the same time. I usually start a new book almost right away, but I'm taking the rest of the day off to digest. I'll hopefully get a review done tomorrow for my blog. :)

Orlando by Virginia Woolf

Hello Elbereth! Oh, I love Orlando! Have you read it before?

...if anyone has thoughts or suggestions, please let me know!

I hope you don't mind me sticking my opinion in!:) I just noticed that you have some of my favourite books in your list...

The Time Traveler's Wife - I was really surprised by this, but in a brilliant way. It felt really contemporary and 'young', plus it's really stayed with me since reading it last year. Some great characters too!

The Crimson Petal and the White - my favourite book of the year so far. I can't articulate how much I love this book.

Wise Children and Nights at the Circus - Angela Carter

...Carter is probably my favourite writer, and these are two of her best. Nights at the Circus is suitably weird and has one of my favourite literary characters in Fevvers. But I think Wise Children is my favorite of hers: so funny, bawdy and completely joyful. It's so full of life! So sad that it was her last book... But what a finale!

Have you read any other Angela Carter novels/stories?

Vanity Fair a re-read...one of my all-time favorites!!

I read this at the end of last year ( and finished it this year!) and I loved it. It's such an enjoyable novel, isn't it? It really makes me laugh, too.

I read The Magic Toyshop earlier this year, and really liked it. I didn't know who Angela Carter was, so I had no idea what to expect, and I was surprised! I'm looking forward to her other books.

I'm taking two literature classes this fall semester: The American Novel to 1900 and English Romantic Literature. I wanted to share my reading lists (as far as I can tell at this point) because I thought some of you might be interested.

The American Novel to 1900

The Pioneers by James Fennimore Cooper

Ragged Dick and Struggling Upward by Horatio Alger

The House Behind the Cedars by Charles Chesnutt

Ruth Hall: A Domestic Tale of the Present Time by Fanny Fern

The Bostonians by Henry James

Our Nig: Or, Sketches from Life of a Free Black by Harriet Wilson

McTeague: A Story of San Francisco by Frank Norris

Hope Leslie: or, Early Times in Massachusetts by Catharine Maria Sedgwick

A New Home, Who'll Follow? by Caroline Kirkland

Billy Buss, Sailor, and Selected Tales by Herman Melville

The Rise of Silas Lapham by William Dean Howells

I'm shocked there's nothing by Mark Twain here!

English Romantic Literature

Various poems and writings by: William Wordsworth, William Blake, John Keats, Samuel T. Coleridge, Percy B. Shelley, Edmund Burke, Mary Wollstonecraft, Helen Maria Williams, Lord Byron, Thomas Warton, William Lisle Bowles, Hannah More, Anna Seward, Felicia Hemans, Charlotte Smith, Thomas DeQuincy, John Clare, Charles Lamb, Anna Laeticia Barbauld, William Cowper, Ann Yearsley, and Robert Southey.

Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen

Frankenstein by Mary Shelley

The poetry is going to be tough for me, but I've read Sense and Sensibility about 2 or 3 times, and I've always wanted to read Frankenstein. This is going to be a tough semester, but I'm so excited! Wish me luck! :lol:

mac- library cards are free here in the states but you need to show proof of address and that sort of thing- i need to get one too- i might go this weekend but my concern is that if i do go i'll find some other gems and i'll put down harry potter and not pick it up again- such dilemas- carm

I finished Agnes Grey about a week ago, and I really liked it. Now I'm on to The Pickwick Papers and even though it's great, and very funny at times, I can tell that I'll have to take breaks from time to time with a different book. I read Animal Farm a few days ago, and I'm thinking about reading one of my old favorites, Faerie Tale by Raymond E. Feist tonight.