The Jim Stringer Mystery series by Andrew Martin

gardengirl

A friend told me about an author called ANDREW MARTIN, so thought I would read one. They feature a railway detective, [English author] who lives in Yorkshire before the first World War. So, in that respect they are historical as well as mystery/murder novels.The book I read is called The Necropolis Railway, and I think the first in the series [Jim Stringer series.]It's NOT the best in the series, and I don't think that you need to read it at all, as I have read others in the series that I liked much better. Sorry not to be able to give titles [they were library books, long gone back to library.]I bought the first for my Kindle, but got the rest from the library, so they are obviously popular.

I am not at all interested in railways, but this DOES NOT MATTER surprisingly!

Perhaps I like the history bit more than the mystery bit, but these books seem to work on several levels [not melodramatic, but that adds to realism feel.]

HI Vimes,

I have remembered one of the book titles it's Death On A Branch Line [do hope I have remembered that correctly, these days I do forget things!] It's a very English sort of book, set in a quiet little place in the country with just a small cast of characters, but all the better for that.The writing sets the place [country small village in Yorkshire] and the time, mid-Summer before the fist World War,

just perfectly. Naturally, all the trains are steam trains [i'm not into trains but found it doesn't matter] and i just like his style of writing .

This sounds a bit familiar to me, although I've never read any of his books. Was one of these made into a TV drama?

I like the sound of these anyway, so I will try to check them out.

HI Vimes,

I have remembered one of the book titles it's Death On A Branch Line [do hope I have remembered that correctly, these days I do forget things!] It's a very English sort of book, set in a quiet little place in the country with just a small cast of characters, but all the better for that.The writing sets the place [country small village in Yorkshire] and the time, mid-Summer before the fist World War,

just perfectly. Naturally, all the trains are steam trains [i'm not into trains but found it doesn't matter] and i just like his style of writing .

This reminds me a bit of the mystery series Foyle's War.

Hi cuppycakes,

no, it's quite different to Foyles War [but I know what you are thinking, very English.] That's set on the South coast of England, and the time is the early 1940's.Foyle himself is a police inspector, while Jim Stringer works for the railway police.I do like the Foyle series, very good attention paid to period detail, and in the tv series, Michael Kitchen plays Foyle perfectly, a very buttoned up character.As far as I know, the Jim Stringer series has never been filmed [but I could be wrong on that.]

Hi cuppycakes,

no, it's quite different to Foyles War [but I know what you are thinking, very English.] That's set on the South coast of England, and the time is the early 1940's.

Hi :smile:

When did Stringer write his mysteries: is he a modern author? Though it's a different era, perhaps the creator of Foyle's War drew inspiration from Stringers' mysteries?

I do like the Foyle series, very good attention paid to period detail, and in the tv series

I like the show as well, there's a new season coming too. Foyle's War is one of the few mystery shows I like besides Agatha Christie adaptations.

Edited by cuppycakes

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting point about the authors, in fact they were both [Anthony Horowitz/Foyles War] and Andrew Martin [Jim Stringer/railway detective] writing at almost the exact same time around 2002. Writing about different subjects though and Martin books set before First World War and Horowitz set around the Second World War.

List of Jim Stringer books,

The Backpool High Flyer

The Lost Luggage Porter

Death On A Branch Line

Murder At Deviation Junction

The Last Train To Scarborough

The Somme Stations

I have left out The Necropolis Line as didn't think it was all that good and in fact his first book.Others may like it.

He has also written a fair few non-fiction books which sound interesting, so I may read those as well. :readingtwo: