Your Book Activity - September 2013

chesilbeach

That's exciting news, frankie ^_^!!

I'm glad your reading is going a bit :). My mojo isn't doing too well the past few days, or maybe I'm just saving it all up for the read-a-thon next weekend :P. I've started to write my manual log of the books I own. I also bought a few books today (but will post in my reading log).

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That's exciting news, frankie ^_^!!

I'm hoping to forget I ordered the book so it'll be a complete surprise :giggle2:

I'm glad your reading is going a bit :). My mojo isn't doing too well the past few days, or maybe I'm just saving it all up for the read-a-thon next weekend :P.

Hehe, good thinking :cool: I'm looking forward to the read-a-thon! :)

I've started to write my manual log of the books I own. I also bought a few books today (but will post in my reading log).

Wohoo for manual book logging :) Always a fan!

I've been reading The Joy Luck Club today. It's been slow going because I've been taking notes, but I've managed 134 pages. I will hopefully finish by tomorrow :blush: I've really enjoyed the book :yes:

I've finally finished The Ocean at the End of the Lane. I still feel very meh about it. It's not exactly a bad story, but I'm just not into it. It's not one of his best works.

Aw, that's next on my TBR pile. :( I own a few Gaiman books but this will be the first one I'll actually 'read'.  Darn finicky mojo...

I've finally finished The Ocean at the End of the Lane. I still feel very meh about it. It's not exactly a bad story, but I'm just not into it. It's not one of his best works.

That is one I picked up and put down.  I know I'll read it sometime, but it didn't move me.

Aw, that's next on my TBR pile. :( I own a few Gaiman books but this will be the first one I'll actually 'read'.  Darn finicky mojo...

I've read Neverwhere, my fav so far, and American Gods.  Can totally recommend both.

I'm hoping to forget I ordered the book so it'll be a complete surprise :giggle2:

x

:giggle2: That'd be nice!

Hehe, good thinking :cool: I'm looking forward to the read-a-thon! :)

x

Me too! 

@ Sakura

Sorry to hear you didn't really enjoy the book. It's on my wishlist.

Im reading Joe Hills NOS4R2, im having the same problem as ive had with his other books ive read. Goes really promising then a bit flat, promising then flat.

I couldn't get into Heart-Shaped Box, so I'm a bit hesitant to try others. If I see it at the library I'll give it a go, but I don't want to spend money on it in case I don't enjoy it.

I'm reading A Long Way Down by Nick Hornby. It's pretty good, although one of the characters is really getting on my nerves. :theboss:

I'm reading A Long Way Down by Nick Hornby. It's pretty good, although one of the characters is really getting on my nerves. :theboss:

:D It almost looks like you're willing to aid that person in his/her attempt on that one thing they all were going to do... :giggle2:

For the most part I think it just advertised itself horribly. The blurb makes it seem like something completely different.

I was looking forward to some mature, horrific fantasy. Instead I got a kids book. On the scary side, as kids stories go, but still a book very much for kids.

Edited by Sakura

Im reading Joe Hills NOS4R2, im having the same problem as ive had with his other books ive read. Goes really promising then a bit flat, promising then flat.

Awesome, you're the second member of ours reading Joe Hill's NOS4R2. I'd really like to hear from either you or Sofia on how that's going.. I really want to try out a Joe Hill book, maybe Heart-Shaped Box, Horns or even NOS4R2 but i'm not sure which of his is the best to start with. 

Edited by UnderTheDome40

Just the one? :giggle2:

I've finished The Kraken Wakes but I'll refrain from comment until Tuesday when the Reading Circle discussion starts.

I've heard good things about Bared to You, Laura. I don't think it's my type of story but I've heard of people who liked it, so I hope you like it too.

I've just started to read Stephen King - IT. This is a re-read for me, though I've originally read it in Dutch so this is the first time reading it in English. I realise I most likely won't be able to finish this book before the read-a-thon next weekend (when I plan to read a couple of shorter books), but if I start it now I might have it finished somewhere in October (the scary month for some?). This book has been on my TBR-soon for quite some time now, so I thought it was about time I started it. Because of its size (1367 pages) and weight (840 g., a bit heavy) I was a bit hesitant to start it, but so far the first few pages are really enjoyable. I read this book for the first time when I was about 11 so it's got memories attached to it for me (nostalgia).

I've finished The Kraken Wakes but I'll refrain from comment until Tuesday when the Reading Circle discussion starts.

You little tease Claire  :D

I've had company and haven't been able to read much but have been having a much easier time with The Sound and the Fury thank goodness. Don't know that I like it any better but it's not giving me knots in my head anymore :cows: 

Oh, piffle!  I'm still waiting for mine to arrive!  :hyper:

We're going to have it translated here in Italy maybe in 20 years time!! So sad.. I can read the books you all usually mention here when you've already forgotten their exitance! Stupid un-english country!

I'm reading a stupid italian classic at the moment.. my grumpy mood don't like it. :banghead:

Oh, meant to mention.  I'm reading Close to the Machine: Technophilia and It's Discontents by Ellen Ullman.  She is the same author as By Blood I just finished.  This is more an autobiography.  Well written, but I can't make my mind up as to whether I like it or not.  I'm wondering if one has to be more of a geek to truly appreciate it.  If so, husband will love it.  lol

:D Yes, it did cross my mind that the book would be better if she'd just got on with it. :giggle2:

:D

There were four of them and three of us. Shall we go and see if we can find them at the top of the building? :giggle2:

I've had company and haven't been able to read much but have been having a much easier time with The Sound and the Fury thank goodness. Don't know that I like it any better but it's not giving me knots in my head anymore :cows: 

Wohoo for that! :friends3:  Well done for persevering :)

We're going to have it translated here in Italy maybe in 20 years time!! So sad.. I can read the books you all usually mention here when you've already forgotten their exitance! Stupid un-english country!

I'm reading a stupid italian classic at the moment.. my grumpy mood don't like it. :banghead:

:empathy:   Maybe grumpy mood turns into giddy mood soon and you'll like the book better. Echoing pontalba's question: which book is it?

I finally finished The Joy Luck Club! But I'm going to bed soon so I will go and jump in on the RC thread tomorrow. :)

I started French Leave by Anna Gavalda as my bed time book, and it's being going really quick, it's only 120 or so pages and the paragraphs and chapters are short. I wish there was more of the book! :( I'm enjoying it.

Edited by frankie

I have read some interesting books this month - I have read 6 so far and will probably finish the 7th book tonight. They have been quite varied reads - two scifi/fantasy, one crime fiction and the remainder literary/general fiction. I have also done 2 more countries from the Around the World Reading Challenge - Syria and Papua New Guinea, so am now about halfway through that.  

The Rook - Daniel O'Malley

The 9th Fortress - JP Jackson

The Silence and the Roar - Nihan Sirees (Syria)

Mister Pip - Lloyd Jones (Papua New Guinea)

The Age of Miracles - Karen Thompson Walker

The Sacrificial Man - Ruth Dugdall

The Light Between Oceans - ML Stedman (Australia) 

Edited by Talisman

I'm reading Il fu Mattia Pascal, written by Luigi Pirandello (can it be The Late Mattia Pascal in english? I think I saw that title once) It's the story of a man who lives a life he doesn't want. When everybody believes him to be dead because of an accident, he flew away and starts a new life. It's not a bad book, but it's.. predictable, that's all. Every italian classic is made up of the same rules: you can say what is going to happen just reading the first few pages. That's why I love english and american literature: there are some bad books too, but most of the times you don't have a hint of what's going to happen until it really happens. Anyway, maybe I'm just a little tired and grumpy because of all the troubles I'm passing through.. I need to relax a little, stop thinking for a little while. I'm happy to be back again. You knowm Pontalba.. I missed you and all the others soo much!!! I know things will be better now I found you once again. Tomorrow I'm going to the library and see If I can find something good.. I copied most of the books you talked about.. I hope to find a couple of them.