Your Book Activity - September 2013

chesilbeach

I've read the first one and liked it a lot. I might have to see if I can buy the whole series at some point.. I'm glad you enjoyed it :).

I just finished my Kindle read of Organizing for Dummies and had already finished my paperbook a few days ago, I'm not sure yet what to read next.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've got to about page 134 of The Sound and the Fury .. and it's no clearer .. I'm just reading words without any understanding of what they mean (that is .. I know what each word individually means .. :blush2: I just don't get what they mean strung together in Faulkner's sentences). I think light is coming at around page 155 .. it had better do :D I hate him for making me feel stupid (ok then .. reminding me  :D) and for writing such an unenjoyable trudge because even if I could understand it I know it's relentlessly depressing. Apparently along with the clearer prose comes understanding of all what went before .. really??? .. I've got more faith in the world ending tomorrow (and to think .. this would be my last read  :doh:  :D)

ugh - so almost all the way through September and still havent finished The Hunt for the red October.

lots of reasons - too technical, new job, have been spending time knitting instead, and also I watched the film instead so reading the book felt a bit surplus.

Think I will have to put this one aside and start reading something else to get my mojo back

ugh - so almost all the way through September and still havent finished The Hunt for the red October.

lots of reasons - too technical, new job, have been spending time knitting instead, and also I watched the film instead so reading the book felt a bit surplus.

Think I will have to put this one aside and start reading something else to get my mojo back

x

I hope you get your mojo back soon!

EDIT: I've started to re-read Melanie Rose - Could it be Magic?.

Edited by Athena

I've just finished Under The Dome, and am going to go back to Walden On Wheels and The Etymologicon.

Under The Dome  [book] is so much better than the tv drivel of same name!

Finished Damsel in Distress last night, and have started The Kraken Wakes today, and read about 50 pages so far.

The Kraken Wakes is a good John Wyndham 'read'  and it came to be said [the title] a lot in our house by the kids when their Dad woke up and thudded about the house in quest for coffee in the morning. :giggle2:

The Kraken Wakes is a good John Wyndham 'read'  and it came to be said [the title] a lot in our house by the kids when their Dad woke up and thudded about the house in quest for coffee in the morning. :giggle2:

I'm reading it for next months Reading Circle, and I'm hoping that some other members are reading it too, so there'll be a bit of a discussion! :D

I'm reading it for next months Reading Circle, and I'm hoping that some other members are reading it too, so there'll be a bit of a discussion! :D

I definitely intend to Claire .. I'm on the lookout for a copy as we speak but am happy to get a new one if not as I already have the Vintage The Day of the Triffids and love the cover etc :)

Congrats! That's one big heavy book you tackled.

Thanks! I haven't read anything else today (aside from study books). :doh:

Under The Dome  [book] is so much better than the tv drivel of same name!

It certainly is! In fact, the reason I read it again was that I couldn't remember it being as bad as the TV show and wanted to refresh my memory.

I've just finished Under The Dome,

I really want to get to this one....

I've got to about page 134 of The Sound and the Fury .. and it's no clearer .. I'm just reading words without any understanding of what they mean (that is .. I know what each word individually means .. :blush2: I just don't get what they mean strung together in Faulkner's sentences). I think light is coming at around page 155 .. it had better do :D I hate him for making me feel stupid (ok then .. reminding me  :D) and for writing such an unenjoyable trudge because even if I could understand it I know it's relentlessly depressing. Apparently along with the clearer prose comes understanding of all what went before .. really??? .. I've got more faith in the world ending tomorrow (and to think .. this would be my last read  :doh:  :D)

Awww, don't feel too badly about it, I ran into the same thing.  Don't let it make you feel stupid, you're not, you are far from it.   Faulkner can be a head banger, for sure. 

Finished Damsel in Distress last night, and have started The Kraken Wakes today, and read about 50 pages so far.

I have The Kraken Wakes on order, but it was second hand.  Hope to get it soon!

Just got back from our library book sale. I broke my 'no buying fiction' rule and got 7 books.  But at $1 each they were a bargain.  Almost cheaper than borrowing them from the library.  I got:
Val McDermid - The Torment of Others

Elizabeth George - Missing Joseph and A Place of Hiding

Ian Rankin - Black and Blue

Jonathan Kellerman - Mystery

Diana Gabaldon - Lord John and the Hand of Devils and The Outlandish Companion.

I've never heard of the last one, but it sounds interesting.  A background to the Outlander series.

Awww, don't feel too badly about it, I ran into the same thing.  Don't let it make you feel stupid, you're not, you are far from it.   Faulkner can be a head banger, for sure. 

Thanks Kate :flowers2: I think I've sailed into clearer waters now .. it reads perfectly fine but I can't say I'm enjoying it all that much .. it's more of a relief than anything but I've still 100 pages to go so it could get riveting .. or it might just further :censored: me off :D  

Just got back from our library book sale. I broke my 'no buying fiction' rule and got 7 books.  But at $1 each they were a bargain.  Almost cheaper than borrowing them from the library.  I got:

I've never heard of the last one, but it sounds interesting.  A background to the Outlander series.

$1 each!! .. you'd have been a fool not to bite their hands off. Hope they prove to be really enjoyable reads :smile: (isn't it always the case that when you have a 'no buying books' rule of some kind .. the blighters start throwing themselves at you and making offers you can't refuse? :D)

I'm just about to start chapter 9 and Vera's actually turned up early. She's been sent to another forces area to reinvestigate a case.

I'm getting ready to start reading "They Thirst" by Robert R McCammon because it sounds really good and I heard it was very similar to one of my favorite books ever: "Salem's Lot" by Stephen King. Also Horror is my favorite genre and I just got finished reading a good fantasy so I usually follow up with horror after reading a different genre novel. I'm excited, will write a review afterwards.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/462658.They_Thirst

Edited by UnderTheDome40

Nice haul! 

I have The Outlandish Companion.....pretty good.  It ties up the previous books nicely.  There is supposed to be another one, a sequel covering more books sometime.  With Gabaldon one never knows when! :)

I haven't finished the Outlander series yet Pontalba.  I'm looking forward to reading this when I do.  I've read all the Rebus series twice and intend to read them all again.  I recently decided I'd like to have my own copies of them all.  I was quite pleased to get so many books for such a small price.  Books are so expensive here.  Even the second hand bookshops in my town charge about $10 for second hand copies. :o

x

I'm glad to hear you really liked the second one, I might buy it soon :)! (but not yet.. I'm going to try and not buy too many books in the next month since it's my birthday next month. If I really feel like it or see a good deal though..) As far as I know, a third novel has been announced but not published yet.

I went and checked the situation with the third book, and found out it's soon to be published. And I noticed that the paperback version is also published very, very soon, and I had to go and pre-order :blush: 12 days, I believe, til it's published! :smile2:

I got two books in the mail today, wohoo! And as for reading, it's going better now that I have time off. I finished Cannery Row by John Steinbeck last night and really liked it. I'm going to dedicate today to reading The Joy Luck Club :)