What's Up in August?

Janet

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Read-a-thon coming up tomorrow, I'm excited for it. Otherwise, I made a list of everything I want to take with me on holidays. I'm also resting, or trying to at least. I spent some time in the kitchen preparing dinner for tonight.

It's so hot today .. it's sweltering. I have visitors over the weekend so doing my best to tidy and clean but it's killing me .. by the end of the day there will just be a little puddle where I once was :D .. probably quite a large puddle actually. I do like the sunshine but a nice cool breeze and an iced pina colada would be good :D

It is hot, Kay, the temperature in the car read 32 degrees when I got home this afternoon  :weeping:   When I left work to walk to my car, it was quite breezy but the air was so warm, it felt like someone blowing a hairdryer at me. :D

Thank goodness it's almost the weekend!  Looking forward to trying to bag some more Gromits, and then getting stuck into the read-a-thon - which at this rate will be conducted by sitting next to the freezer with the door open. :giggle2:

It was 31 degrees where I work today (so one of the visitors told me) - but a lot hotter than that in the actual building itself - probably at least 3 or 4 degrees more I would say. Every single part of me was sweating by the time I got in, including some places that I didn't even know I had. Although we have air conditioning there it's a waste of time switching it on, as all the units leak and so you spend half your time mopping up the mess. At least I have tomorrow off. :smile:

It was gorgeous while I was away - like this (maybe not quite as hot, as Lundy gets the sea breezes) almost every day - I was walking for probably 7 or 8 hours a day, and sitting reading when I wasn't doing that. It's when you have to do a manual job in an already artificially warm environment when I find it difficult to cope with - especially when wearing a uniform made from artificial fibres. If it was cotton that alone would make a big difference.

I was proud of myself yesterday though - I thought "sod them, in this sort of heat I have to make sure I am comfortable", and so even though we have had big debate on this, and I have been told I have to wear one, I went and took my bra off. No one said a thing - and that's because you can't see anything - as I said last time, it's all a storm in a B cup ! :smile:        

Edited by Talisman

Good for you :)!

It's very warm here today. Gladly our pool is fixed now so if we want, we can take a swim. Yesterday I was too tired to do so, I stayed inside instead where it was cooler than outside (though I did spend some time outside, in the shade). Maybe today I'll go swimming. I've done so several times since the pool got fixed (it'd been broken for a while). The thing is, if the water is a bit cold, it's very difficult for me. It takes me a long time to get into the pool! It's also input, the feel of the water and the temperature, and of course the birds, other people who are outside, etc. It's easiest for me when I'm at a temperature that is comfortable, not too hot, not too cold. Sorry if I'm making you all jaleous with this! I didn't mean to do that :blush:.

I'm also doing some reading today, because of the read-a-thon, I already finished one book and plan to read some more later (once I'm done with reading the new forum posts etc).

I won't be doing the readathon this time around as it will be a busy weekend for me. I have today off (in typical fashion we have thunderstorms and rain). My partner's car was due for its service so I had to follow her to the garage as otherwise she wouldn't be able to get home. Afterwards we went food shopping.

Although it is supposed to be weekend in, I have had to take Sunday off due to the Ride London bicycle event. Box Hill will once again be the focus (in Surrey at least - don't ask me why they call it Ride London when half of it doesn't even take place in London). The roads in and out of the village will be closed from 7.30am to 7pm so there is no way I am going to get to work. I will probably then go and watch the 20,000 cyclists that are expected from the Village Hall. The professionals are due later on, some time between 4.30 and 5pm, so I expect I shall watch them from the road as well. If the weather is okay it should be quite a good day, but it is nuisance having to take the day off. I have arranged to work next Friday instead so I don't have to take it as a days holiday, so I suppose it could have been worse. There will be no Housekeeper at all then this Sunday, but that's their problem.

Edited by Talisman

Our flat is finally up for sale! It hit the market on Wednesday evening, we had four viewings yesterday (Thursday) and have 3 booked so far for today (Friday). Dead chuffed with the amount of interest so far. Fingers crossed for a good price! :)

We drove up into Virginia near where we used to an orchard and bought 1/2 bushel of sugar giant peaches. They are really nice. temperature today was about 32C. Yesterday was perfect and was about 30C. Tomorrow and the next couple days will be pretty nice and 31C.

We drove up into Virginia near where we used to an orchard and bought 1/2 bushel of sugar giant peaches. They are really nice. temperature today was about 32C. Yesterday was perfect and was about 30C. Tomorrow and the next couple days will be pretty nice and 31C.

All very well for you hot-blooded individuals :giggle2:

Good luck Kell!  Hope it all goes smoothly for you :D

I've completed my first week at work which has been fun.  On Tuesday I got to go out with a couple of the Ambulance transport crews to see how they work and also put some names to the voices I was hearing on the radio.  The rest of the week I've spent learning the ropes and I've been so tired from learning that I've fallen asleep on the sofa nearly every night, at an embarrassingly early time.

Sounds interesting Lilywhite.

Coran and I have had an interesting day watching the Ride London cycle event, which came through much of London and Surrey today. A lot of the footpaths around Box Hill were roped off the protect the wildlife, but we know most of the Wardens and so they us through anyway, provided we stuck to the paths, which of course we did. It's good to have friends in high places!

We had between 20 and 30,000 cyclists taking part during the main charity event this morning - some were in fancy dress, but most in normal cycling gear. The village was busy with quite a few of the cyclists stopping off at the Village Hall for refreshments, and the Police officers, many of whom we also know, high fiving the fans. The elite riders came through very quickly as they always do around 4.45pm, which was as always exciting. I just put the camera into sport and burst mode, found the best place away from direct sunlight and kept firing. It's the only thing you can do with such a fast moving sport, and just hope for the best. From what I have seen I did ok.

The next big cycling will be the Tour of Britain which comes through both Dorking and Epsom towards the end of next month (I think Epsom is actually the starting point for that particular leg), so I expect we will also watch that, as from what I recall, it's my weekend off. I had to take the day off today, as there was no way I was going to get to work with the roads shut for the best part of 12 hours, but I don't mind, as it was much more fun than mopping floors.

Just got drenched - literally soaked to the skin walking the 20m to my car after leaving work.  Car park flooded, road drains not coping, and loads of spray on the motorway ... not what you hope for at the beginning of August  The only good thing was I managed to avoid the lightning!  Had to change all my clothes when I got home and put my stuff on the clothes horse to dry, then tackle the birds nest that my tangled hair had become in order to feel human again.

:badmood: 

Just got drenched - literally soaked to the skin walking the 20m to my car after leaving work.  Car park flooded, road drains not coping, and loads of spray on the motorway ... not what you hope for at the beginning of August  The only good thing was I managed to avoid the lightning!  Had to change all my clothes when I got home and put my stuff on the clothes horse to dry, then tackle the birds nest that my tangled hair had become in order to feel human again.

:badmood: 

You do know that there are other ways to take a shower? :D

You do know that there are other ways to take a shower? :D

That's exactly what I looked like when I got home - someone who'd got in the shower and forgotten to take their clothes off!!!

Is that your heatwave broken then?

Well, it's not gone back to wintry conditions, and for the most part, it's warm and sunny, but we don't have the very high temperatures at the moment, but have had a spate of thundery storms.

My  GD will return home this Friday. She was a counselor again for the summer this year at a girls camp. She also taught swimming to the girls. Once again Malia and Sasha Obama attended the camp. I haven't talked with my GD for a while but will probably talk with her when she gets home. Our son told us today that it was 96 degrees in Florida and he worked outside in the heat, luckily his job is in the shade. He said that he was drenched by the end of the day.

My vacation is over, and I'm back at work today :(.  I even woke up this morning and immediately felt a little tear-y at the fact that my sister and nephew are no longer here visiting.  2,000 miles is just too far to live apart.  I'm really hoping I can go during the winter for my birthday and see them again.

We had a great relaxing time up at the lake, though, with equal parts cabin-work and total vegging out by the lake had by all.  I'm heading back up for a long weekend at the end of this month and am so looking forward to it.

It's been perfect weather-wise, here, (between 21-26C) so I'm trying to appreciate it to the fullest before the dreaded winter season comes upon us.

Good luck on selling your house, Kell! 

I hope everyone stays cool and has a lovely week ahead of them :D.

A lot is happening for me this month. 

I have bought a new (to me) car - a little red KA - perfect for pootling along country lanes. It will be mine this Saturday, and I cannot wait.  Also, I have finished working at the bakery after almost 4 years, but have been so non-stop busy since with various things I almost wish I was back at work! :giggle2:

A lot is happening for me this month. 

I have bought a new (to me) car - a little red KA - perfect for pootling along country lanes. It will be mine this Saturday, and I cannot wait.  Also, I have finished working at the bakery after almost 4 years, but have been so non-stop busy since with various things I almost wish I was back at work! :giggle2:

Chrissy - I looked up the KA to see what you bought. This was the article that I found. You should have fun and enjoy the car:

FORD KA
Funky, friendly and fantastic to drive, the new Ford Ka sets the new standard for small cars. Its Ford kinetic Design philosophy – all about creating a feeling of motion even while the car is still – has already received glowing reviews from the motoring press.

And because it’s loaded with innovative technology, the Ka has the substance to match its style. For instance, parking in even the tightest of spaces is a piece of cake with automatic parking sensors that sound an alert when you’re getting close to the kerb. Plus tricky hill starts are a thing of the past with technology that keeps the car still without having to use the handbrake.

My GD called me on the telephone today. She will be stopping for a visit on Aug.26 on her way back to NYU for her Sr. year. She was a Counselor again this summer at a girls camp in New Hampshire. Each counselor has 7 girls that they look after in a specific age group. One of the girls in her group was the daughter of a member of the "Red Hot Chili Peppers". My GD said that the girl had a beautiful voice and could sing well. In the same age group was the daughter of President Obama, Sasha Obama, she was in the bunkhouse next door to the one my GD was in charge of. My GD will tell us more about her summer when we see her. :)

How exciting muggle not, your GD must have so much fun at summer camp. It's not something we have in the UK, and the thought of it always intrigued me, although I am too long in the tooth for it now. :D

We collected my KA on Saturday, and I am enjoying getting to know her. My ancient Rover was an entirely different beasty so it will take me a little while to really get used to her, but so much fun. She is the very (very!) basic model but she is shiny and nippy and little. I keep grinning at the thought of her. :blush2:  :giggle: