Your Book Activity - August 2013

Janet

Do you know what, Janet?  I actually think you'll enjoy it more than me, because it's a lot about marriage and holidaying with young children, neither of which are something I identify with!  It's not badly written, or anything like that, it's just not for me.

I've started a third book, e-book actually.  By The Time You Read This by Giles Blunt.   

Takes place in Canada, the wife of a policeman takes her own life.  But did she? Interesting mystery, so far.  I'm about a third of the way into it.

You know me, no hanging about when it comes to reading! ;):lol: Kay's thread is much more interesting (and funny) than mine, so take your time and enjoy. :D

Don't sell yourself short ;) Kay's thread is great, but so is yours! Only I've been to your thread wayyy more recently than Kay's, I've really neglected hers so I had to (and wanted to!) take my time with it today :D

Are the Italian libraries closed during summer? :o It's unheard of, if that's the case, and you have my sympathies!! :empathy:  I hope your cousin has something for you. Otherwise, you have to bang on your neighbors' doors and ask them for books :D

Hey, it's been a while since you've mentioned Dry. Am I correct if I assume you still haven't gotten your copy? :o

Yes, libraries around here are closed during most of july and august; and yes, you're right: I still haven't got a copy of Dry... :help: poor me!! Thankfully my cousin had a couple of book I'm starting right now: italian thriller..better than nothing.

Had to give up on NW by Zadie Smith. Well, I skimmed through the last third which is the same as giving up, really.

I'm going to carry on with Megacatastrophes! and then start Where'd You Go, Bernadette. That's the plan anyway, but like everything it's always subject to change. :lol:

Yes, libraries around here are closed during most of july and august; and yes, you're right: I still haven't got a copy of Dry... :help: poor me!! Thankfully my cousin had a couple of book I'm starting right now: italian thriller..better than nothing.

I don't think I could handle that.  All my books are library books, so I'd be completely stuck.  Our library only closes on public holidays, so the longest it's closed in a row is 2 days.  Our branch library across the road closes for 3 weeks over Christmas, but the main library in town is still open, and only 10 mins away so I can still go there.

Wow , I can't imagine our library being closed for entire months !  Ours is open 7 days a week in the winter. In the summer, they are closed on Sundays . The only other times they are closed are certain holidays : Christmas  , Easter , New Year's Day .

Usually they are even open on Christmas & N Y's Eve ( although they close earlier those days ) 

Wohoo, that's good to hear! :)

I hoping to finish it this weekend because i'm dying to know how it's going to end  :smile:

Oh great! Glad to hear you are enjoying it! :smile:

I'm enjoying it very much so thanks for reviewing it Bobbly otherwise it might have been another couple of years before i got round to reading it :giggle2:

Well, I live in a very small village, we are only 500 people so our services aren't the best. I guess it's easier in the cities..

That must be so annoying for you Eleonora. I only heard the other day that a couple of libraries not too far from where i live have been taken over by volunteers as the council was going to close them because not enough people were using them. It means from now on those libraries will have to rely on book donations as they wont be able to afford any new books & presumably the volunteers will be responsible for the upkeep of the building as well. 

Kay's thread is much more interesting (and funny) than mine

.. it certainly isn't :no:  .. she just waffles more and it takes ages to wade through it. I love your bookblog :smile: 

Have two books on the go .. Penelope by Rebecca Harrington and The Girl in the Polka Dot Dress by Beryl Bainbridge (which I've only just read is unfinished as Beryl died before completing it :() Am plodding on with Les Miserables .. still haven't met anyone bar the bishop (once Jean Valjean turns up at his door .. I'll be happy :))

Sorry to hear about the summer closing of your libraries Eleonora :( .. hope normal service is resumed soon.

Ooh bobbs!! .. you're going to start Where'd You Go Bernadette :boogie: .. oh bother I'd better hide :hide:  :D 

A lot of procrastinating yesterday meant I didn't finish Road to Rouen until late yesterday evening, so haven't had time to start anything else.  Won't have much reading time today, so might just stick to a short story or two from Once You Break A Knuckle when I can fit anything in.

oh bobbs!! .. you're going to start Where'd You Go Bernadette :boogie: .. oh bother I'd better hide :hide:  :D 

Don't worry, you're safe, I'm absolutely loving it! :giggle: I'm 68% through it and will most likely finish it today. In fact, I'm really struggling to put it down. I'm so glad I decided to read it! :boogie:

I an busy reading The Stonehenge Legacy by Sam Christer. So far it is very good and I am injoying it hugely. The plot is kind of seen and read it before, but it is well writen enough that it isn't bothering me.

Don't worry, you're safe, I'm absolutely loving it! :giggle: I'm 68% through it and will most likely finish it today. In fact, I'm really struggling to put it down. I'm so glad I decided to read it! :boogie:

:boogie: Of course you are. Didn't I say it was fabulous? :D What marvellous taste you have bobbs :D

I've started a third book, e-book actually.  By The Time You Read This by Giles Blunt.   

Takes place in Canada, the wife of a policeman takes her own life.  But did she? Interesting mystery, so far.  I'm about a third of the way into it.

Still reading above, very good!  Picked up another one to read, Felicia's Journey by William Trevor.  I've only read a chapter or so, but it's captured me right away.  I have been wary of Trevor, in the past I've found him a bit depressing.

Oh, gosh!  That is hard, but thankfully August is more than half gone.  :out:

Thanks everybody for your support.. and yes, Pontalba, august is half gone, thankfully (not only for the libraries closed but also because I can't stand summer).

Kidsmum, we have the same problem here: no money and a lot of cultural places or events had to be closed, cancelled or run only by volunteers. It's really sad because culture is the only real root of a country, if we stop reading and stop visiting museums or going to the theatres.. what are we?

This month I finished reading the emigrants, by Vilhelm Moberg. It's a series I have really put off reading for ages as I thought it would be a bit dreary, but it really wasn't so I will have to continue on the next book in the series soon.

After a quick chic lit book (Jenny Colgan's Do you remember the first time) which I finished in two days(it wasnt all that great) I have started on the Secret Keeper by Kate Morton. Not sure what to make of it yet- it's a new author to me.

That really sucks about the Dry book, I mean it was months and months ago when you made a reservation for it :o:empathy:

Thank goodness for your nice cousin :) What's the thriller called? I hope it's good :)

I hoping to finish it this weekend because i'm dying to know how it's going to end  :smile:

So happy you're enjoying it! :)

:boogie: Of course you are. Didn't I say it was fabulous? :D What marvellous taste you have bobbs :D

:giggle2: I finished it earlier today. It was such a great read, I'd recommend it to anyone thinking of reading it. :boogie:

I'm sure poppyshake's happy partly also because now she's not the only one recommending it, she can share the blame if someone ends up not liking the book... :giggle2:

I haven't had much time to read but I'm making slow but steady progress with Inkheart :yes:

Currently reading Frankenstein (Mary Shelley), the first book I obtained from ReadItSwapIt. I started reading and suddenly got that feeling that I'd read it before. I vaguely remember reading about half of the book five years ago or so. Funny as I had no recollection until I was a couple of chapters in. This time around I'm enjoying it so far, makes a change after I gave myself some pretty heavy reading to do and kinda put myself off for a few weeks. Also recently obtained El Diego (Diego Maradona), should be an interesting read, although not sure I'll fit it in before the end of the month.

I wouldn't want to assume I've gotten my mojo back, because you know what they say about people who assume, but I have managed to get into a fictional book. Inkheart by Cornelia Funke. This is a re-read so I'm not exactly counting it, but I'm very happy with reading it at the moment, it's very good and feels like a new read because I don't remember all that much about the novel. (Don't tell this to mojo, but I have the sequels and I'm planning on holding mojo hostage and going straight to the never-before-read sequels after this one :giggle: Shhhh!! :readingtwo: )

x

I hope your mojo will keep being well! :)

Inkheart is on my wishlist, I own Inkspell. I bought it for my sister but it turned out she already had it, so I kept it. I liked the film Inkheart, hopefully one day I'll get books one and three and read the whole series.

I'm getting really tired of all this holidays thing with the library closed.. I have read the whole huge pile of books I picked up a month ago, and now I don't know what to do. No book till monday? NO WAY! I'm seeing my cousin this evening, hope she can borrow me something. Anything! Or I'll have to re re re read The Picture of Dorian Gray: nice, but I know it by heart.

Awww poor you! Libraries here don't close for summer. They are always closed on Sundays but are open the rest of the week (with the exception of public holidays). Good luck :(.

x

You know me, no hanging about when it comes to reading! ;):lol: Kay's thread is much more interesting (and funny) than mine, so take your time and enjoy. :D

Today, I downloaded an M. C. Beaton book as it was in the Kindle Daily Deal and it'll be a nice treat for the weekend, especially after I finish Road to Rouen which I'm finding a bit of a chore at the moment.   :huh:

x

I bought two M. C. Beaton books while I was on holidays. I'll post a list later, I've already made it but I haven't read any reading logs yet.

I'm currently reading John Green - The Fault in Our Stars and am really liking it so far. Books I've read since I last posted in this thread (before my holidays):

Susan Hatler - Better Date than Never 2: Truth or Date

Susan Hatler - Better Date than Never 4: Save the Date

Brandon Sanderson - The Emperor's Soul

Edith Wharton - Summer

Ian Ford - A Field Guide to Earthlings

(reviews to follow in my reading log later)

Finished one (of the four)!  :b7ydance:   By the Time You Read This by Giles Blunt.  Good mystery, review on my book thread. :)

Edited by pontalba