Your Book Activity - August 2013

Janet

I finished 2 books this afternoon, Ready Player One by Ernest Cline and The Money Tree by Martin Bamford. That takes my total books read for the year to 60 so far.

x

Did you like Ready Player One?

I've read a bit in Stop What You're Doing and Read This! (by various authors), I read the first two pieces (by two authors). It's taking a bit longer than usually, because I wanted to write down a few thoughts on each piece and part of the piece (the second piece contains twelve seperate bits), so I can write a better review when I've finished the book. I'm quite enjoying it so far :).

x

Did you like Ready Player One?

Yeah I really enjoyed it. The writing could have been a little better in places but the story is fantastic. I'll have a review on my book thread soon.

I hope you enjoy it, I added the book to my wishlist after seeing reviews here and there. It'll be interesting to see how you like it :)

I'm about 125 pages into Gone Girl, and liking it.  I don't know if there is a real resolution at the end, but at this point, the "blame/story" could go in any direction.  At least 3, maybe 4 directions.  I like that!  :out:

I'm about 125 pages into Gone Girl, and liking it.  I don't know if there is a real resolution at the end, but at this point, the "blame/story" could go in any direction.  At least 3, maybe 4 directions.  I like that!  :out:

All i have to say is it's good to see another American on here lol, i love the Brits but i've been having a bit of a culture shock since joining here. That guy brian looks like my brother though which is weird but comfortable lol

All i have to say is it's good to see another American on here lol, i love the Brits but i've been having a bit of a culture shock since joining here. That guy brian looks like my brother though which is weird but comfortable lol

:D  Welcome aboard! There are several Americans on here.  We have quite a varied lot actually! Makes it more interesting. :)

Finished Gone Girl, review on my thread. 

Hint:  5/5 :D

That's not a hint, it's a spoiler :giggle2:  :D

580 pages into The Count of Monte Cristo.  700 to go . . .  :out:

Frankie, I'm glad you finished two books, well done!!

Thanks, feeling great about it! :D

I like it when you don't know where the story's going! There's nothing that'll produce more yawns than a predictable plot... 5/5, that's promising :D Glad you enjoyed it!

Loads of Americans on here, worry not :)

Back on topic: I was having problems getting sleep last night, bad for my rhythm, good for my mojo. I read 110 pages of Inkspell in bed. I regret not getting to read this book earlier!

So Inkheart was a re-read but Inkspell is a new read? Ooh, you're making me to read them even more now.

I'm still plodding through Daniel Tammett's Thinking in Numbers. I'm getting near the end, which is so satisfying. It'll be the first book I've finished in months.

I received a book in the mail today that I've been wanting for ages (I had to wait for the smaller paperback edition to be published): PG Wodehouse's A Life in Letters. :D Should be a great read.

I hope you like Hidden Talents, it's on my TBR (as are some other books by Erica James), I've come close to starting it but every time picked something else in the end for some reason.

I've started to read Temple Grandin - The Way I See It (Revised and Expanded 2nd Edition: A Personal Look at Autism and Asperger's), so far it's quite good. It's based on a collection of articles she wrote, but with added bits to reflect more on recent research and discoveries etc. I also liked the two forewords of the book, written by two different people. I'm 18% in, which is about 61 pages according to my calculations (I do wish the Kindle versions would show page numbers, but most books I've read on my Kindle don't).

I've also read 96 pages of Stop What You're Doing and Read This! (by various authors, Mark Haddon among others), the first piece was not too bad but the rest of the pieces were really good, so far.

So Inkheart was a re-read but Inkspell is a new read? Ooh, you're making me to read them even more now.

Yep, I read Inkheart in 2008 or so, and got the second book in the trilogy a little after that, but didn't continue reading. I only got the third book maybe two years ago. I wanted to re-read Inkheart so that I would remember what had happened (I'd forgotten much about the plot, except the basic idea), and I really, really enjoyed it this time. I liked it the first time, but I liked it even more now! Already 170 pages into Inkspell. So many great quotes!! I've done a lot of quote liking on GR for this book. I dare say you might really like this series :) And there are books in the book! I've added a lot of them to my wishlist :D Actually I wrote them all down in my wishlist, as a separate Inkworld reading challenge, if I ever wanna do it :smile2:

Finally finished Black Sunday by Thomas Harris. It was quite good, but I was left a little disappointed by the ending, just felt too rushed. It surprises me that this author has only written this one book outside of the Hannibal Lecter series. Surely that doesn't happen too often?

Glad you enjoyed it; I shall read your review shortly.

The Tommyknockers is really dragging on now. :thud: I've had to put it down for a while, so I'm now reading Walden On Wheels: On the Open Road from Debt to Freedom. Good so far.

Yep, I read Inkheart in 2008 or so, and got the second book in the trilogy a little after that, but didn't continue reading. I only got the third book maybe two years ago. I wanted to re-read Inkheart so that I would remember what had happened (I'd forgotten much about the plot, except the basic idea), and I really, really enjoyed it this time. I liked it the first time, but I liked it even more now! Already 170 pages into Inkspell. So many great quotes!! I've done a lot of quote liking on GR for this book. I dare say you might really like this series :) And there are books in the book! I've added a lot of them to my wishlist :D Actually I wrote them all down in my wishlist, as a separate Inkworld reading challenge, if I ever wanna do it :smile2:

x

I'm glad to hear you like the series so far! I saw the quote on GR, it's a really good one. I'll have to buy the first and third books sometime, I was about to buy the third book when I was in the UK but it weighed a bit and so I was afraid I wouldn't be able to take it back with me. Have you seen the film? I saw the film a few years ago so was wondering if the book's anything like it? Presumably better though, since books are usually better than films based on books.

Finished The White Queen and was annoyed that I've read out of sequence, it was good though I did think it dragged a bit in the middle. Have started The Restaurant of Love Regained by Ito Ogawa which will hopefully be a nice light read.

Going slow with The Age of Miracles, the concept is brilliant but sadly the book is dwelling too much on the growing pains of the 11 year old narrator. I would love to read a book with the same concept but written with more detail and from a more adult, mature viewpoint.

I wonder if there is one? Steve may know?