Your Book Activity - August 2013

Janet

I finished Losing Hope By Colleen Hoover, Hopeless' sequel, and also Breathe by Abbi Glines.

Both of them are very interesting and nicely.

Today, I started Fallen Too far, by Abbi Glines.

I just have 14% of Losing Hope to go and finding it a little repetitive now as the further I am getting the more it seems identical to the first book..

I finished The Long War and am going to start The White Queen by Philippa Gregory. I hope I like it as I bought the first 4 books as a bundle. I liked The Other Queen when I read it a few years ago though so I don't see why I wouldn't like these.

I finished The Moving Toyshop by Edmund Crisp this morning, and I've now started Gods and Warriors by Michelle Paver. I've been looking forward to this one, as I thought her Chronicles of Ancient Darkness series was outstanding. :smile2:

Edited by chesilbeach

x

I hope your mojo will keep being well! :)

Inkheart is on my wishlist, I own Inkspell. I bought it for my sister but it turned out she already had it, so I kept it. I liked the film Inkheart, hopefully one day I'll get books one and three and read the whole series.

x x 

Thanks, mojo's been with me for a while now, it's maybe getting more comfortable staying around with me... I hope! :D

Inkheart is going great, it's come to the point where I don't remember what's going to happen :o I recommend you get the first book in the series and get to read it soon :) The book's a lot better than I remembered!

I finished Case Histories Kate Atkinson at the weekend , such a good read & Jackson Brodie is the perfect flawed hero, i look forward to reading more of her books  :readingtwo:  I started reading Moon Over Soho  Ben Aaronovitch yesterday & i'm already nearly halfway through, my mojo is fine fettle at the moment  :smile:

I'm so happy you like the book! :) 

Coincidentally I checked if the local library would have any Ben Aaronovitch books, and they did! But it was the fourth one in the series :rolleyes: And they don't have any of the others. Why buy one book in a series, and not the first one at that?! Hmph.

I'm going to start Origins by Randolph Lalonde. I think it may be one of the first books I bought for my Kindle all the way back in February 2011. It's only taken me 2.5 years to get around to it. :giggle2: Nothing wrong with that, is there? :giggle2:

Changed my mind. Can't get into it, so I've moved onto The Tommyknockers by Stephen King.

I just finished The Secret Keeper, by Kate Morton

Now I am trying to decide what to read next

It's between

North and South - Elisabet Gaskell

The Shadow of the Wind - Carlos Ruis Zafon

Gone with the wind- Margerath Mitchell

The Red Queen  - Philippa Gregory

It's between

The Red Queen - Philippa Gregory

SHADOW OF THE WIND!!! :D Fantastic book and a favourite of the forum. :)

It's between

Have you read the other books of the Cousin's War? 

Have to say GWTW is one of my all time favorites. :)

I've finished The Lady of the Rivers by Philippa Gregory, although it's the first of the Cousin's War series, it's the last one read by me.  Now I'm up to date and tapping my toe for the 6th and last! :) My review is over on my book thread.

hint:  this was my least favorite...

AIE:  Whoops!  just saw you've read The White Queen on your book thread! :)

Edited by pontalba

One of my friends really likes that one, bobblybear, so I hope you do too! (it's on my TBR)

Thanks Athena. :D  It's a re-read for me, but it has been many years since I read it, so it is just like reading it for the first time.

Gone With The Wind is amazingly good. :smile:

All this book are on my to-read list too! I guess that we have similar tastes  :smile:

I would go for North and South, I have read wonderful comments on this book. 

Philippa Gregory is also one of my favourites, I read The Kingmaker's Daughter some months ago and I loved it, even more the more famous The Other Boleyn Girl. I definitely want to read all the books both of the Tudor and the Cousin's war series. 

It's between

I'm so happy you like the book! :)

Coincidentally I checked if the local library would have any Ben Aaronovitch books, and they did! But it was the fourth one in the series :rolleyes: And they don't have any of the others. Why buy one book in a series, and not the first one at that?! Hmph.

Thanks Frankie it was a very good read  :smile: That's very strange that the library would stock only the last book in a series. Coincidentially at my last book club meeting at the library we were reading Bring Up The Bodies which of course is the follow on book to Wolf Hall, couldn't understand why they'd pick a sequel ; no one else had read Wolf Hall apart from me so surely that would have been the better choice :shrug: I guess maybe library people are kind of quirky & go there own way when it comes to book related choices  :D

It's between

I enjoyed your first 3 choices when i read them Carelia, still to read some Phillipa Gregory although i have a few of hers on my shelf. But if i had to choose just one i'd definitely go with Gone With The Wind , a book to lose yourself in . Hope you enjoy whatever you choose in the end  :smile:

I've less than 50 pages to go in Moon Over Soho, we're going to York Maze today so i'm taking it with me in the hope that i can fit in some reading time on the journey  :smile:

Other book activity, i've taken 2066  Roberto Bolano off my shelf & it's destined for the charity shop, i decided i have so many good books that i want to read it seems silly to hang on to one that i don't really want to bother with so if any ones interested in it i'd be happy to send it to you  :D

Thanks Frankie it was a very good read  :smile: That's very strange that the library would stock only the last book in a series. Coincidentially at my last book club meeting at the library we were reading Bring Up The Bodies which of course is the follow on book to Wolf Hall, couldn't understand why they'd pick a sequel ; no one else had read Wolf Hall apart from me so surely that would have been the better choice :shrug: I guess maybe library people are kind of quirky & go there own way when it comes to book related choices  :D

That makes no sense :D  Library people if anyone should know that... :D What an interesting sense of humour they have... :D

I'm reading "The Daughters of Mars", Thomas Keneally's latest novel. It tells the story of two Australian sisters, Naomi and Sally Durance, who enlist as nurses during World War One. United yet divided by a terrible secret, they find their relationship tested and forged in the horrors of Gallipoli and the Western Front.

I'm a huge fan of Keneally's work. There are few better living novelists in my view, and "The Daughters of Mars" is up to his usual high standard. It's a hefty book at around 500 pages, but Keneally is an engrossing story-teller with a real knack for drawing interesting and sympathetic, if flawed, characters. Highly recommended, this one.

Spent a few hours in Bath this morning, so obviously had to spend some time (and money!) in Mr B's Emporium of Books, and came away with:

The Case of the Man Who Died Laughing by Tarquin Hall

Circle Line by Steffan Meyric Hughes

ETA: Oops!  I forgot, I also downloaded Wilma Tenderfoot and the Case of the Rascal's Revenge by Emma Kennedy this morning. :giggle2:

Edited by chesilbeach