Your Book Activity - August 2013

Janet

I can't believe it's 1st August already!  It'll soon be Christmas!

I'm behind with my reviews again, but hoping to catch up soon.    I don't actually have a book on the go at the moment, but will remedy that later today.  What are you currently/buying/coveting?  :)

Don't say that Janet, Christmas is ages away :P

I finished Estates by Lynsey Hanley. I plan to review it soon, but I will say I thought it was an absolutely excellent piece of non fiction.

I'm now starting Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck.

I finished reading Delphine de Vigan - No and Me and am now not sure what to read next, since the read-a-thon is tomorrow and so I want to save some shorter reads for tomorrow. I didn't buy any books while I was out shopping yesterday (there wasn't anything that really interested me), but I do plan on buying books if I find something nice while I'm on holidays.

I can't believe it's 1st August already!  It'll soon be Christmas!

My thoughts exactly! (Apart from the Christmas bit :D)

I wish my mojo was here, back with me. I did read my current book (a re-read of a true crime book) a bit last night but wasn't into it at all. :rolleyes: Although I have to say it had gone off to the not-so-interesting bits, the trial and stuff...

I don't want to be a complaining nitwit, but it's just so odd not wanting to read a book :rolleyes: Chalie, send my mojo back :D Tell him I can see pics of your pup via FB :lol:

August already - terrifying!

Still reading While We're Far Apart (for some reason, I can never remember the title. Everytime I comment on it, I have to check what it's called :wacko: ). I wish it would get a move on already! :sarcastic:

Still reading The Fall of the House of Usher and other stories by Edgar Allan Poe. My progress so far:

The Gold-Bug

William Wilson

Facts in the Case of M. Valdemar

The Island of the Fay

Edited by 86WM

I finished Heat Wave, yesterday, and today I started Naked Heat, by Richard Castle.

The first book is very nice, different from the fiction on tv.

Naked heat, so far (currently I'm at page 50), is interesting.

Forgot to update this yesterday, but last night I finished Fibber in the Heat by Miles Jupp, and absolutely loved it. :D

Also got home to find a parcel waiting for me which had Teacher, Teacher by Jack Sheffield along with some Finnish chocolate and a beautiful bookmark, all thanks to the lovely frankie.   :friends3:

That left me with a fresh start for the read-a-thon this morning, and I've started one of my Persephone books, Greenery Street by Denis Mackail :smile2:

Read a few more Edgar Allan Poe shorts (The Island of the Fay, The Sphinx). Went to the library today and picked up I am the Secret Footballer, apparently by '?', and The Landmark Speeches of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. by Clayborne Carson and Kris Shepard. Also, I received two books in the post which I swapped on ReadItSwapIt, they are Frankenstein by Mary Shelley and An Angel Healed Me by Theresa Cheung. Should keep me occupied for most of the month.

Still reading The Fall of the House of Usher and other stories by Edgar Allan Poe. My progress so far:

The Gold-Bug

William Wilson

Facts in the Case of M. Valdemar

The Island of the Fay

I've got the collected tales too but have only read The Fall of the House of Usher so far .. oh and one about a letter :blush2: I forget its title. How are the stories going? are you enjoying them?

I'm 160-odd pages into The White Princess by Philippa Gregory.  It's good, but I have to say I enjoyed some of the previous in the series more.

I've got the collected tales too but have only read The Fall of the House of Usher so far .. oh and one about a letter :blush2: I forget its title. How are the stories going? are you enjoying them?

Could that be 'The Purloined Letter'? I'm still about 200 pages from that one. The stories are a little... I don't want to say hit and miss, but I have found a couple really good and then others honestly don't make a whole lot of sense to me. Some of the stuff is dated also. It's all of a high standard mind. My favourite so far is 'The Gold-Bug', a story about a man who finds a gold scarab near a shipwreck, and seemingly becomes a bit mad trying to find the hidden treasure. Sadly 'The Raven' isn't in the book I have.

I'm currently reading London Fictions, edited by Andrew Whitehead and Jerry White and published by the excellent independent Five Leaves publishing house.  It's a collection of short essays in which 26 contemporary writers talk about  ... a novel they love or admire or maybe hate, to tell us something of plot and character and just what makes it special in the London canon, and to dwell briefly on how the city described there differs from the London of 2013.

It's a fascinating read for anyone who loves London as I do, one that throws a new light on what are often quite familiar books and has certainly made me want to explore some of those I'm not familiar with.  It's not cheap, but it's a worthwhile investment and a book that I, certainly, will want to keep and go back to.

Highly recommended!

Just come back from the library and so thrilled with my haul:

Gone Girl - Gillian Flynn

Case Histories - Kate Atkinson

NW - Zadie Smith

:boogie:

These are all very high on my wishlist so I'm very happy I got them all!

I just need to finish While We're Far Apart, then I can make a start on them. It means deviating from my reading plan, but these things can't be helped! :D

I went to the library this morning and I took a book which seems really intruguing. It's called The Daughter of the East, translated from spanish, written by the spanish writer Clara Usòn. It's the story of a really happy serbian girl named Ana, truly loved by the father she admires with all her heart and soul. She seems to be one of those fortunate girl, clever and beautiful, to which life is easy an safe. But after a small holiday in Russia, she cames back and kills herself. Maybe because when she was in Russia she found out who her beloved father really is: Ratko Mladic, the executioner of Srebrenica, responsable of the killing of thousands of men and women. I'm not spoilering, this is what's written on the back of the book. I managed to read 30 and so pages while I was waiting for my brother to drive me home, and I must admit it's an intense story and it's really hard to put it down. But I don't know if it's translated in English. :shrug:

I'm reading a book written by icelandic Jon Kalman Stefansson too: good choice.. it's so hot in Italy I could do with a little stormy freezing weather.

Just come back from the library and so thrilled with my haul:

Gone Girl - Gillian Flynn

Case Histories - Kate Atkinson

NW - Zadie Smith

:boogie:

These are all very high on my wishlist so I'm very happy I got them all! 

I have the first 2 of your books on my TBR pile Bobbly. I've had Case Histories for ages & managed to avoid watching the recent TV dramatisation as i want to read the book first  :smile:

only about 25 pages into And the Mountains Echoed, but so far so good :D

I have this on my wishlist so look forward to reading your thoughts on it Sofia  :smile:

I finished Shift  Hugh Howey this afternoon, after reading & really enjoying Wool i was a bit disappointed in this prequel it definitely wasn't as much of a page turner as the first one. Still it's not put me off reading Dust which comes out later this year. Not sure yet what to read next, i was planning on starting The Shack  Wm Paul Young but then my order from the Bookpeople arrived with 3 books by Rumer Godden so now i'm torn  :doh:

Forgot to update this yesterday, but last night I finished Fibber in the Heat by Miles Jupp, and absolutely loved it. :D

Also got home to find a parcel waiting for me which had Teacher, Teacher by Jack Sheffield along with some Finnish chocolate and a beautiful bookmark, all thanks to the lovely frankie.   :friends3:

You are very welcome :D Enjoy!

I've sent your mojo via PayPal so should be with you how, just in time for the Read-A-Thon, so choose yourself a wonderful book and get reading! :) :)

I don't have a PayPal account, no wonder it's still missing :(:giggle2:

I did finish A Stranger in the Family, finally. Also started another book (Girl Meets Boy by Ali Smith) but I couldn't get into it :( I'm 'only' 7 books behind on schedule, according to goodreads... :rolleyes::D

I'm still trickling along with Empires of the Sea by Roger Crowley and I've also started the third Dexter book alongside this, Dexter in the Dark, I can see why so many people were disappointed with this book and I am only 70 pages in, I will persevere with it as I do want to read the whole series in time for the TV series finishing so that I can fairly compare the two.

Have really been struggling to read a lot the last couple of days, I've been much more tired than I have been for a long time, mainly I think due to the amount of natural light which now comes into our bedroom, I struggle to sleep when not in darkness and the only time of darkness for me at the minute is about 11PM-4AM, I even struggle when wearing an eye mask. I've just had to have a 3 hour in the spare room to try and catch-up  :blush2: ,

I've had Case Histories for ages & managed to avoid watching the recent TV dramatisation as i want to read the book first  :smile:

I haven't watched the TV show as well, but if I enjoy the book I may try to get hold of it. I think it's always best to read the book first. :smile: