Hi.

86WM

Hello, thanks for having me. So far this year I've read The Histories (Herodotus), and I am currently reading Education of a Wandering Man (Louis L'Amour). I don't get so much time as I'd like to read books and I am lacking inspiration these days.

Hello! :welcome2:

I've not come across Education of a Wandering Man before, but I've just looked it up, and it sounds very interesting.  I'm guessing it's set in the early 20th century, but not sure exactly which period?  How are you finding it?

Edited by chesilbeach

Thanks once more for the welcomes! A bigger turnout than I'd expected.

I've not come across Education of a Wandering Man before, but I've just looked it up, and it sounds very interesting.  I'm guessing it's set in the early 20th century, but not sure exactly which period?  How are you finding it?

It is very interesting indeed. It is set shortly before, a fair chunk during, and I assume the final part will be shortly after the Great Depression, so in and around that era, 20's to 40's. It is really well written, the author switching between tales of his travels and work (which vary widely the world over and are all entertaining), to his obsession with reading, listing books he read and how he procured them. Also a lot of history and lore about the areas he traveled. There's a fair bit of philosophy mixed in, mainly stuff focused on the subjects he is writing about and the lessons he learned from his travels etc. Overall a very good book in my opinion, I'll definately be looking up more of his work as a result.

hope you find that inspiration

Thanks BookLover, I've only been here a little over a day and I'm getting some ideas already. I think it's more a fear of losing inspiration than actually not having any to begin with. I took a break from reading so at the moment I only have the one book knocking around which I'm currently reading, makes me feel oddly bare. I'll only be comfortable once I'm sitting here with a stack of 'To Read' books.

Good, I am new to the site and now have a small pile of books I want to read. So it's starting to work for me. I want to read things that are out of my comfort zone. Have you decided what your next book will be?

You've done the right thing signing up here.q

I intend to re-read The Prophet (Kahlil Gibran), a book which I've read a couple of times a fair few years ago. Then, I have Tao Te Ching (Lao Tzu), Thus Spoke Zarathustra (Nietzsche) and The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam (Omar Khayyam). Three books which I purchased in 2012 but never felt the urge to read. I intend to get through them before I start building a fresh 'To Read' pile. These four books will be read due to a sense of necessity. Once done I'll be looking towards my Amazon wishlist, which currently contains:

Letter from a Stoic (Seneca)

Shahnameh: The Persian Book of Kings (Abolqasem Ferdowski)

Lives (Plutarch) (Unsure of which edition)

The Call of the Wild (Jack London)

Crime and Punishment (Dostoevsky)

Life of Samuel Johnson (James Boswell)

The Complete Poems and Tales of Edgar Allen Poe

Carthage Must Be Destroyed: The Rise and Fall of an Ancient Civilization (Richard Miles)

The Peloponnesian War (Thucydides)

I also want to learn more on ancient Egypt and the old West (American). Also native American stuff interests me, wild west gunfighters/outlaws, all that stuff. I'm looking for a good, affordable book on Belle Starr but so far no luck!

I own some of the books on your list, but I haven't read them yet (The Call of the Wild, Crime and Punishment and The Complete Poems and Tales of Edgar Allen Poe). So I can't really help you with the choice :blush:.

Joined my local library today and got out two books:

The Fall of the House of Usher and Other Tales (Edgar Allen Poe)

The Diary of Samuel Pepys (Samuel Pepys)

Have three weeks to finish them both!