Reading books online?

Hello all,

I was wondering what everyone's opinion is of reading books on the computer - does anybody here enjoy it? If not, why not? Is it just a question of getting used to it, or not wanting to curl up with the laptop, or eyestrain, etc?

*disclaimer*

The reason I ask is that I've just made a website to read books for free online (http://book-bot.com) and I'd like to make it as appealing to readers as possible.

Two of the things I came up with that paper books can't do are automatic bookmarking (you can pick up right where you left off - but you have to register for that) and also being able to double-click a word and have it defined for you (though the dictionary I use is lacking in some aspects...)

I also used AJAX to eliminate scrolling - essentially you click to the next page and it loads it behind the scenes, so there's never a ton of text on the screen.

The site only has older books that are no longer under copyright but there's tons of classics - over 14,000 books (courtesy of Project Gutenberg).

If anyone has any suggestions or criticisms I'd be happy to hear them.

-gilltots

I don't have a particular aversion to reading online, but I do tend to only read short books on my computer or iPod because I do worry about eye strain a bit.

I love Project Gutenberg. I've downloaded so many books from there (many of which I'll probably never get around to reading!) and they're easy to put on my iPod. I like the way your site is set up but seeing as I don't have net access on my laptop, and I'm still in the dark ages of dial-up at home, I probably wouldn't read books online that way. I like the uncluttered look of your website - the user doesn't have to wade through a ton of rubbish to find what they're looking for. :roll:

When all is said and done, I still prefer to have a book that I can hold in my hands and turn the pages, and carry around with me (much like a security blanket :)). So even though I can get the classics for free from Gutenberg, I tend to still buy them and read them that way.

I need to point out here that we state in our guidelines that if you join purely to promote your own site, that we will remove the link. For the time being, I'm going to leave this one up, because I believe that for people who do like to read online, your site is very well presented, and useful.

I assume that the site will remian free, because I certianly do not allow commercial sites to get free advertising.. :roll: I would also advise that if you are going to post this on other forums, that you check the guidelines, and maybe drop the owner a line first. :)

I have to admit that I hate the very idea. I have reluctantly tried it once and did not enjoy it at all. Reading a book, apart from the convenience of being flexible, has a certain charm to it that cannot be matched by reading off a screen. I don't mind an e-synopsis of a forthcoming book to popularise it with the readers, but I hope that the e-book culture does not grow too much. Kids these days seem to be losing their book reading skills thanks to over-indulgence in PCs.

I am sorry for sounding patronising, but I have strong views about this.

I'm not sure how you can lose reading skills whilst reading an ebook online. It's still reading, after all, just on a screen, instead of paper.

Sorry, but it is not the same. For instance, you cannot curl-up on a hammock on a sunny day with your computer and a glass of lemonade.

Also, it is still reading yes, but it is far healthier to read a book. Children need to limit their computer/tv time because it can damage their eyes and effect their learning skills amongst other things. Adults can sort themselves out with these things.

Personally I love reading on screen, but am conscious of the time I spend on the computer for the above reasons. I would read books on the comp, as I have read many academic texts online, but I would take it in chunks, so the bookmarking idea is great.

I think the problem many people have with reading online is that long texts can take too much concentration. Therefore the book needs to be in an easy to read format on the screen. It seems from your post that this is the case. I shall take a look at your site now.

Oh me too. It is a great idea to read online, and in other ways.. I think there is definitely a lot to be said for holding a book as Oblomov said, but I don't agree that books should be the only source of the written word. the internet is a good way to transport things round the world, to make things accessible, so why not books?

I was making my reply to both people at the same time, and most of it was to gilltots in answer to what reading online is like. I am all for it

BTW: the site is great gilltots.

I couldn't imagine ever reading an entire book on a computer screen. To me, it's the whole experience of buying a book and reading it at my leisure wherever I want to. Reading on a computer just wouldn't be the same.

No, I don't like it. It gives me headache to be looking at the screen and I swear it can't be good for you. Besides, I can't concentrate much. At uni, we had online journals which were very useful but I always found it harder to read those. I preferred to print it out if I could and read.

I fear the day when books become electronic - or when we you know - get those hand held computery things. What are they? PDF? Something like that. I suppose it would save the trees though and if it was small and simple it would be alright. I definately think it'd be the way to go with newspapers as they get thrown out so often. It'd be much better if you could just remotely, or through your computer download your newspaper onto a special 'book reading' thingiemajigger.

The only trouble with those is that it might run out of batteries... and they'd be expensive but a good idea I suppose in the long run?

...I can't concentrate much. At uni, we had online journals which were very useful but I always found it harder to read those. I preferred to print it out if I could and read.

I had to do that too. It's weird - I can't read a lot of text on screen without losing concentration! I got through so much printing... But at least I had a printing/photocopying allowance :roll:

I did a lot of printing at uni too, because it was easier to write notes that way, but also because I found it difficult to read on screen, however, I have since then been honing my conentration skills and find it a lot easier to read off screens now. With me it is a case of being in the right frame of mind and of concentrating in the correct way.

I have since then been hining my conentration skills and find it a lot easier to rea off screens now. With me it is a case of being in the right frame of mind and of concentrating in the correct way.

That's really useful to know, Em. I just thought it was 'one of those things'. But I could do with training myself up, what with going back to full-time studying. Did you do anything in particular?

Now there's a question! What issues do you have Amy? Here is my story as a guide...

I think it might be different for different people, but it is a complex issue. I have always had a very bad memory and poor concentration (I did well in school but could certainly have done better if I had understood these things earlier). My memory and concentration were affected by a number of things, hence the complexity. After addressing issues in my behaviour, I could then understand why I could not concentrate well.

I started by addressing my lack of organisation. By keeping a proper schedule, I can keep my brain in the right frame if mind. I have always prided myself on the fact that I am organised, but I was actually not very organised. Maybe I was, and I lost it in the turmoil of life or something:lol:. Anyway, when I say a proper schedule I mean one that suits the person you are, for instance, when I was tired, I used think I could do more than when I was awake (but I can't), I also got very emotional and also into a hyper state that turned me into some loathsome creature. I thought these things were great, but they were very bad for me, taking me deeper into my problems in all areas of life. Obviously I cannot just make sure never get tired (I need for too much sleep for that), so the schedule that is right for me is one that gets the work done, but also has regular breaks and includes things like meditating (a valuable skill for me to have). This is why I find it much easier to be a mummy instead of having a job. I can devise my own schedule that works and change things that are not working.

This organisation in my day does a few things. It keeps me going because I want to reach my target of having finished the schedule, which means I sleep better and am more awake and refreshed, and it keeps my mind from wandering to trivial things that take up too much room in my brain (leaving room for concentration). You see, the other main problem i had was that I would dwell on things that were actually trivial and also at night time I would not be able to sleep because I worried about the things that needed doing or what I had done that day, and other things. My brain was always cluttered with silly things.

This was another thing that i had to sort out. Once I trained my brain to forget all these silly little things, like worrying what people thought about me, or getting everything done, or dwelling on what a miserable childhood I had, or whether I would ever find love and be happy, once I convinced myself that all these things were trivial and bad for me, once I stopped doing them, I was a much happier, healthier, confident and focussed person.

All of these little things help me focus, which helps my memory and concentration. Another trick I have learned is when I am tired, to relax. By reminding myself that a little rest now and again from the things I need to do will not make the world fall to pieces, but will, on the contrary make me a better, more efficient person. Having a schedule is a good thing, but it does not always have to be adhered to, just mpst of the time.

By orgainising my life in this way, I can declutter my brain, as I either do not have time to be lazy and to dwell on trivial matters, or switch off that part of my brain when I think of them, and I can concentrate much better than I used to. The important thing now is to keep going. I am not at the stage I want to be, and could even regress back to the way I used to be (which is much easier, but soul destroying).

Interestingly, the same problems lie in the reason I was not very good at writing essays. I could not order my thoughts very well, or remember what I had written.

I have a PDA, which I bought specifically for e-books, but to date I have only read one book on it (Black Beauty). I have downloaded a lot more to read on there, but the books I keep borrowing from the library get in the way of it. :roll:

I found it quite easy to read on my PDA (depending on the format; for me PDF is a no go). The thing about reading on a PDA that appeals to me, is that you can bookmark certain pages or make notes on a particular page, which could be useful if you want to come back to something. Of course, you can do that on a paper book as well, but I think it's easier to find and less messy in an e-book. Another good point about reading on a PDA, is that if you like to read several books at once, it's a compact way of carrying them all around with you. :lol:

I don't think I could read on my laptop though, as I too like to lounge on the sofa when I read, and hold my book in my hand. Plus, I'd find the pages too big on a laptop. I need to underline the line I'm reading or I tend to skip ahead, so that's easier to do on a PDA than a laptop.

The downside of reading recent-releases as an e-book, is the outrageous cost of them. I've never bought an e-book (I download the free ones), as the cost of them is so high compared to a paper book. If I'm paying that much money for a book, I want to be able to feel the actual book in my hands, otherwise I feel like I've been cheated. :)

Also Aimz, like I said,I need to be in the right mood to concentrate, again i think this is to do with how tired or heavy loaded I feel. If I need to concentrate on something I'm reading or writing and don't feel up to it, a sleep usually works, or meditation or a walk, or reading a light book for a while.

• 1 year later...

I know this thread is old, but have recently received the great suggestion to check out Project Gutenberg if there are any titles that I can't get my hands on right away. I was curious if anyone else has discovered any other online sites that offers books free of charge.

So far, I've checked out:

book-bot.com

online-literature.com

gutenberg.org

These sites have many of the classics, but am also interested in any other sites that my list more modern works as well.

Any ideas or suggestions? :P

These sites have many of the classics, but am also interested in any other sites that my list more modern works as well.

I would imagine that there is a copyright/royalty issue with modern works being available online. The ones at PG are out of copyright (in the US) I believe?