Jogging Diary

frankie

I didn't go jogging on Wednesday like I'd planned, because other things came up, and then other stuff came up on top of that. So I'm a bit  behind on the schedule, but that doesn't really matter.

I think the five days off did some good actually, because today the jogging went easier than the last time, and today I did longer jogs. I did 8+8+4+4 minutes (4 minute walks in between). And I can't believe I managed it. The 8 minutes didn't even feel that long! I was counting different sort of flowers I could see ... :D Not much luck with that, only four different kinds. And the first time I looked at the time was after 6:30 minutes, and I was absolutely thrilled that I'd gone so long without looking at the time. At that moment I thought 'I can so do this and finish it!'. 

Edited by frankie

• 8 months later...
  • Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't remember exactly why I stopped last year... Could've been anything. Even laziness! But I've been wanting to start again, and I'm able to start jogging so early in the year because here in the south the snow melts earlier and the roads aren't icy. This is a jogger's paradise :D 

Initially I'd thought I would start next month, mainly because I'm out of shape and don't have suitable clothes. I was going to go for walks in the meantime... But today when I went grocery shopping, I stumbled into sports pants (or what the heck would you call them) and found a size that fit me. Hurrah! And knowing that I was now all set, what with having had everything else but the pants, I decided I'd just go for it. It's only 1 minute x 2, so why wait till next month? 

It felt good to go out and exercise again. I had a healthy flush on my cheeks afterwards. I'm pretty excited about the whole thing :smile2: 

• 4 weeks later...

^  Well that was a bust... My left knee hurt the next day so I thought it would be better to not attempt any further jogging for a while. I thought maybe I should focus on going for walks first. Get those legs going! So I think I will try again in about a month's time. :shrug: 

Thanks, I really hope so too, as I find walking very boring and would already want to get into jogging. There's some challenge to jogging, and it's far from boring! But I'll just have to find a way to make those walks interesting. I thought as I'm still a newbie in Espoo, I might try and walk a different route each and every time to keep it interesting :) 

That's a good idea, I love walking down roads I've never been before.  I'm new to this thread, but do you listen to anything while walking?  I know music is better for jogging, as the steady rhythm helps, but for walking, I love listening to audiobooks, so perhaps you could find a good book to listen to to help make it more interesting?

That's a good idea, I love walking down roads I've never been before.  I'm new to this thread, but do you listen to anything while walking?  I know music is better for jogging, as the steady rhythm helps, but for walking, I love listening to audiobooks, so perhaps you could find a good book to listen to to help make it more interesting?

I actually prefer listening to music when I'm walking and don't like to do it when I'm jogging :D There's a steady rhythm but when there's one song that keeps you going steadily, then the next one might be a slow one and that would mess me up :D 

You've actually raised a point that I've been thinking about re: my walks. I used to have an mp3-player which I always had with me when I used to go for walks almost every day. Loved it. But it broke :( I don't have a smartphone so I can't listen to any of my own music or audio books. I can only listen to the radio and that helps a bit. But I've sometimes noticed that I just can't find a good song playing in any of the channels and it's frustrating. And even if I find some station that's playing a great one, the next one might be a dud and then I'm changing channels again. :rolleyes: I know, I know, it's really a first world problem :rolleyes: I just have to suck it up and face the music, don't I? :D 

I definitely find listening to something an aid to walking ... it makes time go much faster and the walk more interesting. I couldn't be without some sort of device for listening to music, podcasts or books, I use it in the car, at work, in the cafe, out walking, etc., so I'm very fortunate to be able to afford my phone and iPod, and I hope you're able to get another mp3-player at some point.  :friends3:

• 2 weeks later...

I definitely find listening to something an aid to walking ... it makes time go much faster and the walk more interesting. I couldn't be without some sort of device for listening to music, podcasts or books, I use it in the car, at work, in the cafe, out walking, etc., so I'm very fortunate to be able to afford my phone and iPod, and I hope you're able to get another mp3-player at some point.  :friends3:

I'm the same, I don't feel like walking if I don't have my music. I should really work on that. I've read how one's blood pressure will go down when walking in the woods and stuff, and I sometimes feel a bit guilty for tuning out the wonderful nature stuff by listening to music... :blush: I've never been much of an outdoors person. :shrug: I'm hoping to change that when I start going for walks to visit specific places. 

Should be interesting, though... For example, I was looking at the Espoo map just earlier today. Next to the Gallen-Kallela museum was a street called Ville Vallgren's road and I googled him because I had no idea who he is/was. Turns out he was a Finnish sculptor who did, for instance, Havis Amanda, which even I know about! :)

Ville_Vallgren,_Havis_Amanda,_(1906)_190

• 4 weeks later...

I've had a few health problems in the past two months (an infection + mole operations... and one of the wounds not healing properly at first... but now I'm getting better and my moles were cancer free, so hurrah! :exc:), and so I'm in a rather bad shape and would probably keel over if I tried jogging at the moment... So I won't :D 

A few weeks ago I was googling to see if there were any running/jogging/walking events here in Espoo or Helsinki. I first found the Women's 10 event that's really well known and popular and I was so peeved when I realized it was in the spring and I couldn't take part in that. Had problems finding anything else, so gave up on the idea... Yesterday I googled some more and found out about a running event that takes place in my neck of the woods, and it's in the fall so I have more than 3 months to get ready for it :exc: I'm so excited. I've never ever taken part in any voluntary sports events or competitions so this is all new for me. There's an entry fee, but it's a really cheap one compared to some of the others I've read about. I won't be competing, I'll just want to take part to see that I can do it, run 5 kilometers. All participants will get a medal when they've finished, and if I ever finish, it'll be the first medal I've ever gotten for anything :D Keeping my eye on the price...

I'm thinking I will have to work on walking first, to build my stamina. I think I should leave jogging for June and not worry about that yet. 

Thanks Athena! :) I thought I'd finally borrow and read this one book on running that I've been thinking about reading for a few years now and so I went to the library's website and reserved a copy online. The book's called Born to Run. 

When I went to check later which books I've reserved earlier, I noticed that I'd accidentally reserved a fictional novel called Born to Run by Michael Morpurgo and it's about a dog or something :lol: :lol: Well, it's already left its library so I might as well check the book out :lol: But I have now made a new reservation for the actual book that I wanted: Born to Run by Christopher McDougall. 

If I remember correctly Born to Run is about the tribes who run barefoot in South America. It's the book which reignited the barefoot running craze over here but I have a word of caution. If you decide to give barefoot or zero drop shoes a go (shoes with a sole a few mm thick and no cushioning) then do it extremely slowly, literally only a few meters to start off with. A lot of people went out and tried to run barefoot and ended up injuring themselves quite badly. I gave it a go myself but found the process too slow and laborious so I carried on with my usual running style (heel striking).

Yesterday I applied for the London marathon again, hopefully it's third time lucky.

Actually I didn't remember what the book is about :blush: I just remember that my ex's friend recommended it to him and ex then mentioned it to me. I'm definitely not going to run barefoot :D But thanks for your concern anyway  :friends3:   At the moment I'm just looking for something to get me in the mood, if you know what I mean. I'm going to read that Murakami running book, for instance :yes:

My ex's friend did a marathon some years ago and he said there was a guy who ran the whole thing barefoot. Wow... :o

Yesterday I applied for the London marathon again, hopefully it's third time lucky.

Wow, that is so cool!! :smile2: When is it? 

Edit: Just remembered: I went to the library to see if I could find any other books on running and came home with Get Into Running. I don't know if it's any good but I'll see what it has to offer. 

Edited by frankie

Now, you'd think that if I moved to the second biggest city in Finland, I'd remember that none of these people know me and will never remember my face and also, don't give a flying duck about how other people look. It's not like I'm going to run into acquaintances in this city. 

So how is it that I still manage to feel uncomfortable going for a walk :rolleyes::D If I saw someone smiling, I would immediately think they were laughing at me. (This is because I'm really out of shape and I'm one of those people who get really flustered in the face when they exercise. I get really red in the face and I sweat.) I know that's crazy talk... I know I was smiling myself because I was having a good day. And I smiled when I saw dogs and a few times even when I saw a kid (they were making funny noises and trying to catch my eye because they were so proud that they could ride a bike :cool: I couldn't help but smile!). 

Anyway... I walked for 65 minutes. I realized that I should walk this hilly area next to my area more often because I get easily out of breath when I'm going up a hill or up the stairs. I should practice that more often. 

Actually I didn't remember what the book is about :blush: I just remember that my ex's friend recommended it to him and ex then mentioned it to me. I'm definitely not going to run barefoot :D But thanks for your concern anyway  :friends3:   At the moment I'm just looking for something to get me in the mood, if you know what I mean. I'm going to read that Murakami running book, for instance :yes:

My ex's friend did a marathon some years ago and he said there was a guy who ran the whole thing barefoot. Wow... :o

Wow, that is so cool!! :smile2: When is it? 

Edit: Just remembered: I went to the library to see if I could find any other books on running and came home with Get Into Running. I don't know if it's any good but I'll see what it has to offer. 

I find out in October and the marathon is in April so I have a long wait ahead of me. I aim to start running some more in the coming months and may even enter some races (just for the shiny medals) as I get back to my usual pace.

Now, you'd think that if I moved to the second biggest city in Finland, I'd remember that none of these people know me and will never remember my face and also, don't give a flying duck about how other people look. It's not like I'm going to run into acquaintances in this city. 

So how is it that I still manage to feel uncomfortable going for a walk :rolleyes::D If I saw someone smiling, I would immediately think they were laughing at me. (This is because I'm really out of shape and I'm one of those people who get really flustered in the face when they exercise. I get really red in the face and I sweat.) I know that's crazy talk... I know I was smiling myself because I was having a good day. And I smiled when I saw dogs and a few times even when I saw a kid (they were making funny noises and trying to catch my eye because they were so proud that they could ride a bike :cool: I couldn't help but smile!). 

Anyway... I walked for 65 minutes. I realized that I should walk this hilly area next to my area more often because I get easily out of breath when I'm going up a hill or up the stairs. I should practice that more often. 

I think that's pretty normal. I know when I first started to run and I couldn't manage more than a few minutes at a time I would only run when it was dark because I didn't want anyone to see me.

I find out in October and the marathon is in April so I have a long wait ahead of me. I aim to start running some more in the coming months and may even enter some races (just for the shiny medals) as I get back to my usual pace.

Ah yes, a long wait! But it's great that there are other races you can enter in the meanwhile. You're a regular gold digging crow :P:lol:

If you like, please do share your thoughts and experiences on running in this thread, I would love the company of a fellow runner/jogger :blush:

I think that's pretty normal. I know when I first started to run and I couldn't manage more than a few minutes at a time I would only run when it was dark because I didn't want anyone to see me.

Oh yes, that brings back memories ... :D I remember it was winter when I first started, back in ... 2005... Oh my god is it ten years already?? It's about time I got back in the action! Anyhow it was winter and dark and it helped, for sure :D I did my first jogs with a friend and that helped, too. She was even more afraid of jogging in public than me so I had to encourage her to do it and that kind of built my own confidence.

If I remember correctly, it doesn't take too long before you're just focused on what you're doing. When you're walking, it is so basic that you have all the time and focus in the world to get awkward in front of all the other people out there. But when you're jogging, you have to focus.

Anyways... If nothing else helps, one just has to think that they are only smiling because they are happy that one is exercising and doing something. They're probably wishing they were running, too :cool::D Yeah right.

Edited by frankie

Ah yes, a long wait! But it's great that there are other races you can enter in the meanwhile. You're a regular gold digging crow :P:lol:

If you like, please do share your thoughts and experiences on running in this thread, I would love the company of a fellow runner/jogger :blush:

Will do. I am approaching the end of a year long coaching cycle with an online nutrition and training organisation. Once that has come to an end I will be creating my own training program which will include some more running so I'll keep this thread ticking along with my thoughts and feelings. Once I'm back from Prague at the end of the week I am going to look for a 5k race to enter just to get into the experience of attending an event. I think my time should be around the 23 minute mark because I have still be running once a week.

I did say I wouldn't try jogging before June... But I couldn't wait :blush: I came to the conclusion that previously, when my knee's started acting up, it was probably because I'd jogged too fast. So this time I said to myself, you can go and have a try, but only if you promise to jog very very slowly. As slow as you can. 

I did, and my knee was fine with it :exc: Hurrah! And I've already gone for the second session, too, and my knee didn't complain after that, either. So I've officially started my jog training :smile2: I'm so excited about it. What with uni worries and stuff, jogging is the only thing that's keeping me sane at the moment... 

Edit: So this is what I'm doing. 

Day 1  /  Day 2  /  Day 3

(walk/jog/walk/jog/walk)

Week 1    -   5/1/5/1/3    /     5/1/5/1/3     /    5/2/4/1/2

Week 2    -   5/2/4/1/2    /     5/2/4/2/1     /    5/2/4/2/1

Week 3    -   4/3/4/2/1    /     4/3/4/3/1     /    3/3/3/3/1

Week 4    -   3/4/3/3/1    /     3/4/2/4/2     /    3/4/2/4/3

Week 5    -   3/5/3/4/1    /     2/6/2/5/1     /    2/10/5

Week 6    -   2/6/2/5/1    /     2/7/2/6/1     /    2/12/5

Week 7    -   2/7/2/6/1    /     2/8/2/7/1     /    2/14/5

Week 8    -   2/8/2/7/1    /     2/9/2/8/1     /    2/16/5

Week 9    -   2/9/2/8/1    /     2/10/2/9/1   /    2/20/5

Week 10  -   2/10/2/9/1  /     2/11/2/10/1 /    2/23/5

Week 11  -   2/11/2/10/1 /    2/12/2/11/1  /   2/26/5

Week 12  -   2/12/2/11/1 /    2/13/2/12/1  /     30

Edited by frankie

Good stuff Sari, starting too fast is the most common mistake people make. It takes time for the muscles, but more importantly the ligaments and connective tissues to adapt to running.

I entered a 5k race which happening in October. I've never done a race before and it feels like I should do one before it ends up being something I've just never got round to. Hopefully by then I will know that I have made the London Marathon starting lineup and it will slot nicely into my training.

• 2 weeks later...

Good stuff Sari, starting too fast is the most common mistake people make. It takes time for the muscles, but more importantly the ligaments and connective tissues to adapt to running.

I entered a 5k race which happening in October. I've never done a race before and it feels like I should do one before it ends up being something I've just never got round to. Hopefully by then I will know that I have made the London Marathon starting lineup and it will slot nicely into my training.

I've somehow missed this post before! :( Glad you've entered a race! :smile2: I should start looking into entering the one I want to do... I really ought to go and see what kind of track it is. I mean, if there are hills and such. I heard there were supposed to be, but I don't know how steep they will be and how much length they will take of the whole route. 

I'm going to go for my first jog since I left Espoo to visit my parents. It's been 11 days now and I'm a bit nervous about getting back into the routine. I'm sure I'll be fine, it's just a mental thing. And it's only 2+2 minutes. I bought these leggings type things that I'll be wearing for jogging from now on, I'm sure they'll be much nicer than the baggy long sweatpants I've worn before. Sure, everyone will be able to see all my lumps a bit too well for my liking, but I'll get over it soon, I hope. I'm going to be wearing my cap and sunglasses anyways so nobody will recognize me anyways. 

I actually went for a walk earlier today. I'm taking this week off to myself, and today I decided I finally wanted to walk to the sea, and visit a new library on the way. Only I couldn't find the sea!  :doh:  :D But I did find a nature reserve by accident and so that was great, I'm going to go there and get more acquainted with it some other time. So lovely to have those sorts of places so close to the city! 

What a trying session today. I was supposed to do 3 + 3 minutes. After the first 2 minutes, I felt like I had to stop due to a physical ailing. It went away though and I thought okay, I'll try again. Did another 2 minutes when it started again. I thought, screw it, I'm going home... But my mind kept telling me I can't just quit. So I tried it again, and managed the 3 minutes this time. Did the 4 minute walk in between and then managed the other 3 minute jog. 

Almost couldn't do it at all and gave up, but then ended up managing the 3 + 3 and did 2 + 2 as extra :D