What's up in July?

frankie

We went into Bristol again early this morning and found another 9 Gromits, but unfortunately, quite a few which are listed as outside, and within venues that weren't open, otherwise we'd probably have had another half a dozen or so.  Still, home by 9am again, and I've just finished washing the car (I hate the seagulls in Bristol :irked:).

Plan for the rest of the day is just to watch cricket and read, so should be nice and relaxing. :cool:

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We just had a really big quake here.  We get a lot, but this was the biggest I've felt in years, maybe ever, and I'm about 300km from the epicentre of it.  We had some cups and things move on shelves, our TV has moved and a few of my books fell off the shelves.  There are reports coming through of damage in Wellington, where it was closest to.  

I heard it on tv and I'm so sorry for your wonderful country but I'm glad you're alright. My land is still devastated from the quake of last year.. but people here is fighitng their way to normality.

Bookmonkey, that sounds very scary!

Good luck Lilywhite, I hope it works out for you.

Today it's quite warm, I plan to go outside in a bit though not too long since it's too warm really to be very comfortable. I planned to read today but ended up doing some other things instead (although I did read for a little while).

I heard it on tv and I'm so sorry for your wonderful country but I'm glad you're alright. My land is still devastated from the quake of last year.. but people here is fighitng their way to normality.

We're still recovering from the quake two and a half years ago.  

There is a bit of damage in Wellington, about 2 1/2 hours from me.  Cracked roads, cracks in buildings, that sort of thing.  Nothing as bad as we got in Christchurch in 2011, but still causing problems and rattled nerves.  And quite a few aftershocks, some fairly sizeable.  

It's warm here too Athena, which is wierd actually, because it's winter.  Should be about 10C, but its about 18C! Almost summery.

Butterflies were all over my zinnia today. Must have been over 12 at least flying around.

Photo #1 - I got a photo of a butterfly in the air.

Photo #2 - there are at least 7 butterflies in the photo - see if you can find them - may have to enlarge the photo :)

Photo #5 - I think there are 5 butterflies in this photo.

Butterflies were all over my zinnia today. Must have been over 12 at least flying around.

Photo #1 - I got a photo of a butterfly in the air.

Photo #2 - there are at least 7 butterflies in the photo - see if you can find them - may have to enlarge the photo :)

Photo #5 - I think there are 5 butterflies in this photo.

They are absolutely gorgeous Muggles, I am so envious of your butterflies :wub: (I think I can see 8 in the second photo)

Hey guys! Thought I better pop in to let everyone know I'm still alive and kicking :D

I'm up at the cabin now, with my sister and nephew in town.  I'm off all this week and then again the 1st-9th of August. It's the best place to relax and I'm already 2/3rds of the way through 'Under the Dome,' which is not a small novel! 

Lovely photos, Muggle, as always.  It looks like you live in the perfect place for all of those flowers and butterflies.  The roses are blooming nicely around the cabin, and we have loads of black-eyed susans which are crawling everywhere.  Oh, and I'm pretty sure we had a bear in our yard last night!  I heard a heavy crashing in the woods (we're surrounded on 3 sides) with leaves and twigs being crunched, and I'm almost positive I saw a dark shape moving across the grass.  Might have been my eyes playing tricks on me, but it was still freaky! :lol:

Congrats to you Kell and Bobbly, and Chesil, what exactly is a 'gromit?'

I hope you all have a lovely week! 

Hey Peace, you obviously caught sight of the BCF P.I. we sent to find you - he does love to wear his bear suit! :giggle2:

Well, a slightly cooler night has made all the difference to my get-up-and-go. Until today it had been a case of got-up-and-gone! :blush2:  I am going to use this momentum to get lots done before I head into work later.

Peacefield - I envy you. Sounds like your cabin is a nice place to simply relax. You should be ok with any bear as long as there are not any bear cubs around. The mama bear gets aggressive if anyone gets between her and the cubs. Besides, any bear that Chrissy sends will be "peaceful" (play on words). :)

btw, Chrissy mentioned a "Garden Party"......http://youtu.be/w2oLYf8pJ0M

I hope it's good :)!

I've been trying to relax and rest. The weather is pretty warm. There was a thunderstorm in the morning (with lots of rain), but it's still pretty warm and also humid. I'm stressed sometimes and tired but gladly it's a lot better than a while ago so it just takes some time I think :). I'll be going on holidays not too long from now, so will do some preparations for that in the next while too.

I'm really happy for you, Lilywhite.. the situation was strarting to be tragicomic.

Athena, enjoy you holiday and relax.

Muggle, your garden is simply marvellous.

Pacefield..I envy you too.

It's boliing hot in here.. today is 43 degrees C, that is to say 109.4 F. I'm so tired because of the sleepless nights and the high temperature. I'm a winter creature and I can't stand this hot stupid season.

What is more I'm spending the last few days with my friend G. before his leaving: we won't see each other for a loooong time.

Summer and goodbyes really sucks. :angry:

Nicely done, bobble!! :) I bet Reuben was enjoying his splashes :)

Congratulations bobbly!  Well done.

@ bobblybear

Congrats ^_^!

Congrats to you Kell and Bobbly, and Chesil, what exactly is a 'gromit?'

Thanks all for the congrats and sorry for my tardy replies! I must check this thread more often! :doh:

I finally managed to get everything sorted for my new job and I start on Monday.  I really hope that it is as good as I think it is as I've put 3 months into applying for it. 

Good luck for the new job. It's always daunting starting at a new place but I'm sure you'll be fine. :smile:

I got back from my summer holiday to Lundy earlier today, having driven all the way back from Bideford today. I was 2 miles from home when a cyclist skidded on the wet road, veered onto my side of the road and came off his bike. Luckily he was okay, but we were both a bit shaken up. Not a nice experience for either of us - especially when I was already tired from all that diving. It wasn't the best nights sleep either, as the couple in the room next me in the hotel last night came back to their room at 1am and decided to put their TV on and start arguing. I went and banged on their door and told them to be quiet, which soon shut them up ! The trouble is though that once you woken up like that, it is very difficult to get back to sleep.

The island though was truly spectacular. I had a nice, smooth sea crossing in both directions, and the weather was just amazing. Wall to wall sunshine every single day with just one or two short showers and a touch of sea fog on one day. I was walking for 9 or 10 hours most days, and when I wasn't doing that I was reading - I managed to get through almost 10 books, which is a record for me - and all of them were good ones. My new camera has once again proved its worth with some truly stunning pictures of the wildlife - especially the seals, deer and sea birds - some of them really are stunning. I will definitely be entering the Lundy Calendar competition this year. My cooking tasted pretty good too - I find that it always does when I go there - the limited choice from the shop makes things very experimental I find. The only thing that was missing was the wild mushrooms - it's too early in the year for them - but I shall as always be back !       

Edited by Talisman

Wow, your accident sounds scary!

I'm glad though you had lots of fun on your holiday :). 10 books, that's a lot! Maybe you've mentioned it before, but what kind of competition is the Lundy Calendar competition?

It's a photography competition whereby anyone who has been to the island and has good enough photographs can have them considered for the next years calendar. There are various categories - wildlife, buildings, marine and so on, and the staff act as judges. The winners get a free calendar and their photographs may be used for other forms of publicity for the island.

Wow, that sounds really nice. I wish you the best of luck :)!

Yesterday we went out for dinner, to celebrate the holidays (my parents' idea). The restaurant we wanted to go to, was completely full already so we went somewhere else. It was really nice! It was noisy though and so I was really tired. I listened to my iPod while we were waiting for food to arrive (not while eating), it was just too noisy not to. I was a bit bored too just sitting there listening to music (I didn't really want to listen to music but the music's better than the chatter of all the people so..) so I played a bit with my phone. I made my first English wordsearch (a free app I found by browsing the games section) and did a variety of other things, including looking at my books (3G is expensive for me so I didn't use the internet). It was fun talking with my family and my boyfriend. Yesterday evening when we came back home, my mind was so full that it took me some time to fall asleep (also I felt really warm). Today I plan on mostly resting, I'll need it after yesterday. It does make me a bit worried about my holidays, what if I get very tired then too? Or will the fun offset some of the tiredness, like last year? Well, I just hope it'll be allright, that we can have some fun.

Edited by Athena

The cabin is indeed relaxing!  Just being at work the 3 days this weeks makes me want to run back up there.  Luckily I leave on Thursday and won't have to be back to work until Monday the 12th! 

Good luck on your new job, Lily, and welcome back, Talisman :)

When you're having fun, Athena, there usually isn't time to realize how tired you are!  I hope you have a great time on your holidays.