What's up in July?

frankie

We've set the wheels in motion and are officially moving to Northumberland ASAP. Hubby has secured a transfer and I'm speaking to my bosses tonight about getting a transfer too. We will most likely be moved by the end of the summer, meaning that Button will most likely be born a Geordie rather than a Scot!

It's going to be crazy around here while we get everything sorted and the flat on the market, but we're offski - hurrah! :)

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, it's my OLD area - I'm originally from there and we moved to Scotland when I was nearly 11-y-o. Feels good to be moving "back home" again after all this time. :)

Ah :)! That sounds even nicer then, I hope it's as nice as you remember it.

I'm in the process of making a celebratory cake for myself (my boyfriend's helping).

Edited by Athena

Tomorrow I go back to work and I can't wait!  I was made redundant from my job of 6 and a half years in March and in the current climate, I struggled to find anywhere else to work.  After squillions (literally) of applications and 11 interviews I now have work again.  I've also been accepted for another job but haven't been given a start date for that one yet and as this position is through an agency anyway, when the permanent job gives me a date, I can just switch.

I can't tell you what a relief it is to finally be going back to work.  I haven't taken to the unemployed life very well and have been pushing myself daily to achieve things.  I've nearly finished decorating our dining room and renovating the huge built in cupboard in there and in the last two weeks we have cleared out, stripped, filled, sanded and decorated the box room.  It now has a huge desk in there and shelves on the walls and Ta-Da! We now have a crafty room :D  At least I have something to show for my time off.

I'm now hoping that normal services can resume and my reading mojo will resurface. 

It's been a busy weekend. We're still undergoing the process of "tarting up" our flat ready for listing for sale. Appointment with our solicitor on Friday morning to get things sorted that way, so we basically have this week to get it all sorted ready for photos.

Xan and I are heading down sans Dale - we'll only preceed him by a couple of weeks - to stay at my Mam's place so we can get Xan settled into a new school and we can look at potential houses to buy. So, first week in September will be my last week of work, then 5 weeks of holiday, then maternity leave! It's all pretty terrifying, but in a good way. :)

Wow Kell, you're life is changing so much, and changes can be really good. I wish you all the best.

Lilywhite, I'm glad you're starting a new job.

Athena, how was the cake? Celebratory cakes are the best, their taste is sweeter.. ;)

I'm not really fine these last few days, my health is getting a little worse maybe because it's so hot here. My insulin gives me troubles..and my mood has been definitely higher than this :blush2: 

Lilywhite, I'm glad you're soon starting your new job, I hope it's nice!

Kell, good luck with it all. I hope you enjoy your holidays.

Eleonora, I hope your health gets better soon :(.

The cake is/was great, thanks :)!

Day 5 of near 100 degree temps...with today supposedly being the worst yet.  We are supposed to be seeing a little bit of relief by this Sunday.  I'm trying my best not to complain, because at least I'm not shoveling, but dang, it's HOT HOT HOT!!!

Day 5 of near 100 degree temps...with today supposedly being the worst yet.  We are supposed to be seeing a little bit of relief by this Sunday.  I'm trying my best not to complain, because at least I'm not shoveling, but dang, it's HOT HOT HOT!!!

Move South. It is only supposed to be 93 degrees here today. my garden is doing great except for the tomato plants. They have a 'blight" from all the rain we have received. I am picking a ton of cucumbers. Yestersay alone I picked 21 plus threw an additional 4 away as they had escaped my notice and were as big as a base ball bat. My neighbors lock the doors when they see me coming as I have given them so many cucumbers.

There is one neighbor though that has two young girls that love cucumbers. The mother tells me that the one girl eats them as fast as the mother can peel them. My cantaloupe are also doing well and should be ready in about 2 to 3 weeks. I got 14 ears of corn from a farmer yesterday and it was pretty good. Also went blueberry picking on Wednesday and they are nice this year.

Edited by muggle not

Good grief! 

We've had so much rain that it hasn't been quite as hot.  But the humidity has been bad enough!  Low 90'sF through the rest of and next week.  Maybe even 89F on Saturday.  Hope yours breaks soon!

Went shopping early this morning - I was actually at the shop when they were unlocking the doors!  I hate clothes shopping, but needed to be done, and managed to get myself a couple of pairs of linen trousers and two cotton shirts, which should hopefully be cooler to wear at work.

Not too much planned for today, just pottering around on errands, but hoping to find somewhere cool to sit with a drink and my kindle at some point.

I have a four day weekend this week, so I'm very glad for that. We took Reuben out to the woods yesterday and he splashed about in the water having a great time. :boogie:

Last week I got my exam results back - I passed both of them!! :boogie: I'm so relieved. It also means I can start studying for the next lot but I'm really struggling to find the motivation. I got used to having a month and a half of no study, which was sooo nice.

We're mostly staying indoors over the weekend, aside from taking Reuben out. It's just too hot and not really enjoyable. :thud:

Congratulations Bobbly! :smile:  Well done.

Aside from a lunch visit to my parent's tomorrow we don't intend on going anywhere this weekend. Happy to lounge in my cool cave (living room with curtains drawn closed!) and mooch around.

Congratulations bobbly!  Well done.

Muggle, gorgeous pics, flourishing plants.....love it!

Chesil..../groan/  I love clothes shopping.

Re cotton and linen....fantastic choices for this hot weather.  Have you tried Flax clothes?  They don't wrinkle as badly as the regular linen.  It's company brand linen.

Some photos that I took this morning of:

• Butterflies on Purple Coneflower
  • Limelight Hydrangea (3 plants - 3 different sun / shade conditions)

Those are lovely Muggles :) Thanks for giving the different sun positions, they are all thriving although the one in the full sun is surprisingly the biggest. I need to go to the plant centre and see if they have any of the limelight hydrangea variety. Your cone flowers are so pretty too and look like a real butterfly magnet. What type of butterflies are they? We don't have them here, I think our biggest one is the monarch.

Up early and off to Bristol for Gromit hunting this morning - bagged eight in a walk around Clifton, all while it wasn't too hot, and back home by 9am!  Not sure what the rest of the day will bring, but some reading and cricket watching will definitely be featuring in there somewhere. :cool:

@ chesilbeach

Glad you found yourself some nice things.

@ bobblybear

Congrats ^_^!

@ muggle

Nice photos :)!

Yesterday we (my boyfriend and I) went out shopping and bought some clothes and also books (I didn't plan on getting the books XD). Afterwards we went out for dinner. It was awesome, we had a great day together.

Edited by Athena

First week back at work completed and boy, was I glad of a lie in this morning.  So far it's all classroom based learning, a whole lot of note taking and lots of concentration!  I still haven't heard back from my permanent position yet.  As of Tuesday it will be 4 weeks since they told me I had the position.  I've filled in all my forms, got my CRB check back and sent my references to them (twice!).  I'm just waiting on a start date and they don't seem to be very forthcoming with one.  It's all very frustrating.

Yesterday we had our first BBQ in our own "garden".  I say "garden" because it's an overgrown patch of land at the moment.  It was still nice to have our own space to light some charcoal and cook some tasty food :D  Despite my (considerable) reservations, O's did very well and it was very successful.

We just had a really big quake here.  We get a lot, but this was the biggest I've felt in years, maybe ever, and I'm about 300km from the epicentre of it.  We had some cups and things move on shelves, our TV has moved and a few of my books fell off the shelves.  There are reports coming through of damage in Wellington, where it was closest to.  

Cripes bookmonkey! :o Glad you were only rattled, not hurt. Scary stuff.

How frustrating for you Kat, I hope it all goes smoothly into your permanent job, and soon. :smile:

Having spent a rather lovely Saturday with my parents, we are spending Sunday quietly, catching up with a few around the house things, but generally just mooching around. Got a couple of hectic weeks coming up, so a quiet mooching day is most definitely in order. :D

Have a lovely Sunday everyone.