Best book/books of 2013 so far?

We did this last year and the year before that (I can't remember how far back this idea goes...) and I've been waiting for someone to start the thread for a while now.

C'mon good members of the forum, tell us which books you've loved and enjoyed the most so far this year! :smile2:

Edit: I added the link in case anyone's interested in that 'statictics' of last year or feels like reminiscing :) (Couldn't find the one from 2011 for some reason, though...)

Edited by frankie

I know I don't publish the ratings I give books on my reviews, as I usually change my mind after a bit of distance from reading them, but apart from a re-read of a favourite book, I've only given out one 5/5 which has remained in place, and that was for Sightlines by Kathleen Jamie.  It's sort of a mixture of travel, natural history and memoir, with a beautiful style and is a collection of fascinating accounts of the various journeys she has taken both at home and abroad.

She really brings to life her experiences with wonderful descriptions, including her first experience of an archaelogical dig, and a lovely chapter about watching a lunar eclipse where there is a contemplative passage about the passing of time, and you can't help stop and consider time, and our tiny experience of it in the lifespan of the universe.

I said at the time (back in January I think) that it was "an absolutely wonderful book, and I'll be very surprised if this isn't among my top five by the end of the year."  Well at this stage, it's still number one.

Edited by chesilbeach

I said at the time (back in January I think) that it was "an absolutely wonderful book, and I'll be very surprised if this isn't among my top five by the end of the year."  Well at this stage, it's still number one.

I think it's a good sign of a truly great book if you said back in January that you'd be surprised if it wasn't one of your five books by the end of the year. Especially when we've gone half the year and it's still number one on your list :)

I was quite shocked to see I've already given 13 books the top ratings, 5/5, this year, but then I remembered four of them were re-reads of the Anastasia Krupnik book, which always get the top rating from me. The other books to get a 5/5 from me so far this year are:

The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd

Ugly by Constance Briscoe

Black Swan Green by David Mitchell

Hell's Prisoner by Christopher V. V. Parnell

Case Histories by Kate Atkinson

Yes Man by Danny Wallace

Valley of the Dolls by Jacqueline Susann

Pyhiesi yhteyteen by Jari Tervo

The Help by Kathryn Stockett

And I honestly thought I'd been strict with my ratings this year... as I have tried to be! Well it may just be that I've managed to somehow pick up a lot of great reads by accident so far :)

(Although, now that I checked out my post in the 2012 thread, I had 11 books on the list, I have fewer now, so I guess I have been stricter... :giggle:)

Edited by frankie

I've enjoyed all these for wildly differing reasons, but my favourite reads so far:

The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

My Sister Lives on the Mantelpiece by Annabel Pitcher

I'll also throw in Before I Go To Sleep by SJ Watson.

The former three really stuck with me after reading them, and while Watson's book didn't in exactly the same way, I devoured it and couldn't wait to get to the end. With a good second half of the year though, it's unlikely to make my top five by the end of the year.

Only three 5/5's so far this year, which were..

The Wolf Within - Shaun Ellis

Rebecca - Daphne Du Maurier

The Language of Flowers - Vanessa Diffenbaugh

A few notable 4.5/5's were..

The Girl You Left Behind - Jojo Moyes

Hopeless - Colleen Hoover

The Next Always - Nora Roberts

The Thread - Victoria Hislop

And a special mention for Replay by Ken Grimwood, I scored it a 4/5 but may have to revise that as when I look back over the books I've read so far this year that is one of the ones that sticks in my head..

:)

I would certainly have "Before I Go To Sleep" as a choice, but I would have to go through my Kindle archives to see what else I read which was special.  Memory banks don't seem to work as well as they used to.   :blush2:

And a special mention for Replay by Ken Grimwood, I scored it a 4/5 but may have to revise that as when I look back over the books I've read so far this year that is one of the ones that sticks in my head..

That's nice to hear! :D

My favourite read so far this year is without a doubt Hilary Mantel's Bring Up the Bodies.

Just behind that, Joe Abercrombie's Best Served Cold and Vernor Vinge's A Fire Upon the Deep (which was a re-read).

Honourable mentions:  The Iliad (Fagles translation), Ready Player One (Ernest Cline), The Coldest War (Ian Tregillis).

:smile:

I decided to be much stricter with my scoring this year, having had loads and loads of 5/5s last year - but they weren't all as enjoyable as each other!

This year so far only 3 have scored top marks:

The Seance - John Harwood

Replay - Ken Grimwood   waits to see Steve feeling very (rightly) smug!

Oliver Twist - Charles Dickens

I might revise a few up at the end of the year.  :)

I probably don't read as much as others - I'm on my 22nd book of the year - so haven't as many top ratings as most, but just two books have achieved 6 stars this year. That's about par for the course: looking back over the past five or six years, only one year has seen more than 10% achieving that rating, and it's usually around 7-8%.

Anyway, the two top raters are:

David Copperfield - Charles Dickens

King Solomon's Carpet - Barbara Vine

I was pleasantly surprised by David Copperfield, read for my book group, having started it but failed to progress far at least twice before, but it deserved its rating not least for the stunning set of characters that came so vividly to life.  King Solomon's Carpet is one of the more quirky books I've read recently, but that was part of what made it so good, giving it a character that made it stand out from the crowd in no uncertain terms.

Three books, again not out of line with previous years, have hit my 5 star rating this year:

The Crimson Petal and The White - Michel Faber

The Voyage Out - Virginia Woolf

The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet - David Mitchell

I also can't make up my mind about the most recent finisher, Light by Margaret Elphinstone.  4 or 5?

I do sometimes upgrade 5 star books and downgrade 6 star ones (others tend to be left alone); the most likely book to change of those above is the David Mitchell.

At the opposite end of the spectrum, there's definitely been an above average number of 1-star books (4 so far), but pretty much all of them were ones chosen for book group reading; 2013 will be the first year I've done that, and they definitely make for a more mixed bag for me than previously, not surprising really. 

Edited by willoyd

Well I havent read as much this year as I would have liked but I have still had read a few really good books.

I have actually only rated one book 5/5 which was The Crimson Petal and the White. I have read lots of good books but not a lot that really capture my mind! Hopefully the second part of the year will bring some more 5/5 books to me!

Found a couple of other books which I thought were really a good read, 'Call Down the Hawk" by Irish writer Maurice Nicholson, "A Cold Day in Paradise" by American writer Steve Hamilton, "Dire Straits" by Canadian writer Peter Jackson.  All of these were murder/mysteries which is probably my favourite genre along with thrillers.  

Found a couple of other books which I thought were really a good read, 'Call Down the Hawk" by Irish writer Maurice Nicholson, "A Cold Day in Paradise" by American writer Steve Hamilton, "Dire Straits" by Canadian writer Peter Jackson.  All of these were murder/mysteries which is probably my favourite genre along with thrillers.  

You're giving me too many new mystery writers to look up!  lol   And thanks! hee hee

I have to suppose I am a bit lax with giving 5 stars, sometimes at least.  But for me, there are so many factors that go into a 5 star.  I mean, I have given 10/5 rating, at least once. John Banville, of course.

This year though, here are my faves this year.......so far, after all, it's only the end of June. :D

The Secret Scripture by Sebastian Barry 4/5

The Music of Chance by Paul Auster 5/5

Travels in the Scriptorium by Paul Auster 5/5

The New York Trilogy by Paul Auster 5/5

The Summer Guest by Justin Cronin 5/5 (yes, that Justin Cronin, of The Passage and The Twelve fame) (No, it has nothing to do with vampires!!) :D

Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel 5/5

Bring Up the Bodies by Hilary Mantel 5/5

Replay by Ken Grimwood 5/5  (curtsies to you-know-who! in thanks)

Death Will Have Your Eyes by James Sallis 5/5

The Rook by Daniel O'Malley 4.5/5

The Lolita Man by Bill James 5/5 ( a great new, to me, detective series)

The Night Gardner by George Pelecanos 5/5 (one of the writers of The Wire, that's all you need to know to know it's terrific!)

As you can see I was on a bit of a Paul Auster kick earlier this year.  :) And I have several new, to me, authors on the list.

Edited by pontalba

My favourite books so far are:

Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson - Wheel Of Time #13: Towers Of Midnight

George R. R. Martin - A Song of Ice and Fire 1: A Game of Thrones

Kristin Hannah - Home Front

Sophie Kinsella - Twenties Girl

Nicholas Sparks - The Notebook 2: The Wedding

John Grogan - Marley & Me

Rereads this year:

Sinéad Moriarty - The Baby Trail

Sinéad Moriarty - A Perfect Match

Sinéad Moriarty - From Here to Maternity

Roald Dahl - Matilda

Roald Dahl - The Witches

Roald Dahl - Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

I didn't list any non-fiction books, though I have read quite a few good ones, ie. about stress or in the For Dummies series (I can provide a list if anyone wants to see).

Great idea for a thread :D! It's so nice to think back of these books and how I enjoyed them! It's also great to read what everyone else enjoyed, it's always nice to find more recommendations :).

Great thread :) My faves so far are ...

Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf - Edward Albee

The Night Circus - Erin Morgenstern

A Boy at the Hogarth Press - Richard Kennedy (only for Woolf fanatics probably :blush2:) 

Matilda - Roald Dahl

Right Royal B*stard - Sarah Miles

The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of her Own Making - Catherynne M. Valente

Down and Out in Paris and London - George Orwell

The Boy With No Shoes - William Horwood

And Then There Were None - Agatha Christie

I have just finished my 44th book of the year. There are five of these that I would give five stars to, all of them quite different:

Gavin Extence; The Universe versus Alex Woods

The Beach: Alex Garland 

I Remember You: Yrsa Sigurdardottir

The Buddha of Suburbia: Hanif Kureshi 

Do They Hear You When They Cry: Layli Miller Bashir/Fauziya Kassinga

The Night Circus - Erin Morgenstern

x

I have this book on my shelf, glad to hear you like it! I'm not entirely sure what it's about (other than what the back of the book says), but maybe that's a good thing, I might be more surprised by the plot that way.

I have just finished my 44th book of the year. There are five of these that I would give five stars to, all of them quite different:

Gavin Extence; The Universe versus Alex Woods

I bought this two days ago, so great to see it appear on your list!

Great to see quite a few books on here that are already on my shelves & i've added another few to my wishlist after reading other peoples choices. I went back to check my log & have altered a few of my ratings(is that cheating?) as my feelings about some of my books have changed. It's not that i've gone from loving them to hating them but some of the stories have really stayed with me & left their mark where as others, although enjoyed, haven't left as much of an impression. The two books which are the leading lights

If Not Now When?  Primo Levi

Bring Up The Bodies  Hilary Mantel

followed very closely by two books which i actually only gave 4 stars too but i find myself thinking about all the time

A Time To Dance  Melvyn Bragg

Wolf Hall  Hilary Mantel

and the best of the rest

The Siege  Helen Dunmore

Salem Chapel  Mrs Oliphant

Still Missing  Beth Gutcheon

I just finished reading Mark Haddon - The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time and would like to add this book to my list of best books so far in 2013. Currently writing a review for it. It was amazing!

• 3 weeks later...

I've been looking back over my Reading Blog and have only given two books 5/6 (and none 6/6):

Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets - David Simon

The Crimson Petal and the White - Michel Faber

I think that's pretty fair actually, as I can't think of any really outstanding ones that have really got under my skin. It's a shame, really. Hopefully I'll read something truly brilliant before the year is up.