Austen v Bronte Sisters

Nicola Booth

This idea came to me whilst discussing my favourite classic books with a work colleague.  I just wondered if you could enjoy both authors equally or if people are split into two camps.

Personally I love the Brontes and find Jane Austen hard to read.  I do love the BBC Adaptation of Pride and Prejudice and love the various movies made over the years but just find the writing very long winded (no disrespect)!  I did study Mansfield Park for A-level and Northanger Abbey also which possibly makes me a bit thick if I can only enjoy these books through discussion.

In saying that I only ever read Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights, having watched a programme recently, I understand that I have a few more to read.

Any other thoughts?

I think the writing styles are sufficiently different that it's almost impossible to say, for me at least, that one is better than another. I enjoy both.

I don't think it makes you thick that you can only enjoy these books through discussion - it just means you need a bit of a push to get you through some of the more long-winded passages! And they are, in comparison with most modern writers.

I enjoy both the Brontes and Austen, but some more than others. For example, I adored The Tenant of Wildfell Hall and Jane Eyre, but not so much Wuthering Heights (which I enjoyed, but didn't love). With Austen, my favourite is Nothanger Abbey closely followed by P&P then Mansfield Park, but I'm still no fan of Emma, Persuasion is rather slow and dull, and I've never managed to get through Sense and Sensibility yet. One day I'll get through all of them (both Bronte and Austen) but I know there will be some I enjoy more than others, same as with any other author I read. :)