Hello Everyone

Verna

I'm new here and looking forward to participating in some of the events and discussions, like the read-a-thon.  I read mostly fiction, love the classics (Jane Austen and Charlotte Bronte being two of my favourite authors).  Another author whose writing I admire is Herman Melville.  I'm currently reading Les Miserables by Victor Hugo, and also The Book Thief by Markus Zusak.

Best to all of you,

Verna

P.S.  The lilacs have just come into bloom. 

Hi Verna, welcome to BCF, you sound like you'll settle in here just fine. :welcome2:

I've been meaning to get around to Les Misérables for some time but it's just so daunting. I will soon though. Definitely (humour me, I'm trying to convince myself more than anything). As for The Book Thief that one certainly is a treat. Have you read it before or is this your first time? What do you think of it?

welcome to BCF.

Lilacs are without a doubt my favorite. The smell/aroma is awesome. Do you have any of the deep purple?

Thank you.  My lilacs are of the ordinary variety, but I also have white ones as well.  I like walking past them every day to get their scent.  They are lovely and attract bees and butterflies, especially the Swallowtails.

Welcome here :). A lot of the books you mentioned I own but haven't read yet. To be honest, for some reason most of the classics intimidate me so I'm afraid to start reading them.

Thank you.  I felt that way, too when I first began reading the classics.  It takes awhile to get used to the writing styles and language, but it's well worth it.  Also, it makes a nice change from more contemporary reading.

Hi Verna, welcome to BCF, you sound like you'll settle in here just fine. :welcome2:

I've been meaning to get around to Les Misérables for some time but it's just so daunting. I will soon though. Definitely (humour me, I'm trying to convince myself more than anything). As for The Book Thief that one certainly is a treat. Have you read it before or is this your first time? What do you think of it?

Thank you, Ben.  I highly recommend Les Miserables.  There are so many remarkable stories in it.  I really enjoyed reading The Book Thief and found it very moving.  I've never read a book before where the narrator is "Death". 

:welcome2:

Thanks, Inver, for the welcome wave.  I see you are reading The Lollipop Shoes by Joanne Harris.  What an intriguing title.  I've only read one of her novels (Five Quarters of the Orange) which I enjoyed very much.

• 4 weeks later...