Your Book Activity - May 2013

While I felt McCarthy could use more punctuation in places (seems he very purposely  does not),

I think it might be McCarthy's style. I read The Road for my English AS exam and he uses next to no punctuation in that novel.

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finished Y by Marjorie Celona. Was actually quite good. It's told from two perspectives, the present day and leading up to the present day. Basically telling you why and how things came to be as they are.

Still reading The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland In a Ship of Her Own Making and it's great .. really loving it. Also reading The Boy With No Shoes which is based on the writer William Horwood's childhood .. it's very, very traumatic .. misery with a capital M but the writing is gorgeous. 

In addition to Pure, I'm reading as my non-fiction: Worm: The First Digital World War by Mark Bowden. It's about the Conficker worm, and blimey it's a bit technical. :blink:

When I first saw the word "Worm", I thought the book was actually about worms. :blink:  :doh:

I started reading The Stranger House by Reginald Hill. His book, The Woodcutter, is one of my favourite books and I wanted to see how this compares to that. Obviously they aren't going to be the same but I want to know if his writing style passes over.

Took time out (while resting my leg) to finish 'The Glass Guardian' by Linda Gillard.....lovely read as always. :readingtwo:

Just starting 'The Lollipop Shoes' by Joanne Harris, one I have been meaning to read in ages.

Edited by Inver

Took time out (while resting my leg) to finish 'The Glass Guardian' by Linda Gillard.....lovely read as always. :readingtwo:

Just starting 'The Lollipop Shoes' by Joanne Harris, one I have been meaning to read in ages.

Linda Gillard's books always seem to be popular on here. Is there one you'd particularly recommend ?

Hope you enjoy The Lollipop Shoes Inver  :smile:

Over the last few days i've started & finished The Great Gatsby  F. Scott Fitsgerald  & am now reading Heart Of Darkness  Joseph Conrad 

I really, really didn't like it at all, which was quite surprising! 1/5 :o

That's my favorite book, oh man oh man you're in for such a treat :D

Oh dear, it certainly wasn't my favourite but I do remember it being quite creepy and disturbing at points.

Thanks i'll let you know how I find it.

Went to a Reading, Q&A and signing with Joe Hill last night for his new book which was great fun. Such a funny and down to earth guy, got premium seats and a few autographs :D Started his new book and loving it already.

Over the last few days i've started & finished The Great Gatsby  F. Scott Fitsgerald  & am now reading Heart Of Darkness  Joseph Conrad 

x

You seem to be reading quite a few classics :)! Did you like The Great Gatsby?

Meridian

I think it might be McCarthy's style. I read The Road for my English AS exam and he uses next to no punctuation in that novel.

You know odd thing is, I typically don't care for that particular style, but Blood Meridian was h*ll for stout a good read IMO.

So I'm just over 100 pages into The Stranger House and the main characters are slowly joining into each others stories.  It's definitely not as good as The Woodcutter. With The Woodcutter, I immediately felt that this book was good and should be made into a film. Whereas The Stranger House feels a bit clumpy at times with his writing style. I find myself re-reading some of the sentences as they don't really make sense to me by the way he has structured them. Thankfully, this isn't disrupting the flow of the novel and I'm still getting into it. :)

Posted The Teahouse on Mulberry Street of to a fellow Bookcrossers as a swap for a book she sent me on my wishlist. :smile:

I'm about a third of the way through Skios now, but came across a book from childhood that I read many times, and had completely forgotten about.  It was so good, and is sellotaped in places to keep the pages in as it's so well read, that I really want to read it again to see if I still love it as much.  It fits in nicely to another thread, so I'll be popping in there to add more details!

x

You seem to be reading quite a few classics :)! Did you like The Great Gatsby?

I did enjoy it Athena, though i wasn't sure about it at first , i was about halfway through it before i started to get into the story. I do like to read the classics, usually i'm never disappointed with them although i've just finished Heart Of Darkness  Joseph Conrad which i hated so i guess that's one of the exceptions  :smile:

Thanks i'll let you know how I find it.

Cool beans! :)

Went to a Reading, Q&A and signing with Joe Hill last night for his new book which was great fun. Such a funny and down to earth guy, got premium seats and a few autographs :D Started his new book and loving it already.

That's great! :) So you would recommend his books? I've seen them around in the library sometimes...

About 130 pages into Triptych and really liking it

Wohoo!! :D  I wish I could read it all over again, for the first time :)

I finished The Captain and the Enemy last night and started reading Valley of the Dolls by Jacqueline Susann, which was surprisingly inviting.

That's great! :) So you would recommend his books? I've seen them around in the library sometimes...

This was for his third novel, his first was Heart-Shaped Box which I really enjoyed. His second was Horns which I didn't enjoy as much but was still good, it has an adaptation coming out this year with Daniel Radcliffe as the lead. But from what I have heard and read of his latest, NOS4R2, it could well be his best so far.

This was for his third novel, his first was Heart-Shaped Box which I really enjoyed. His second was Horns which I didn't enjoy as much but was still good, it has an adaptation coming out this year with Daniel Radcliffe as the lead. But from what I have heard and read of his latest, NOS4R2, it could well be his best so far.

I am so jealous of your Q&A with Joe Hill!!  Lucky!!  Did you get any pics??

I read Heart-Shaped Box...but I really didn't enjoy it....put me off reading anymore Joe Hill for awhile.  But I did hear great things about his new one as well...I'm going to try and get my hands on that one.  Did you read 20th Century Ghosts by any chance?

I am so jealous of your Q&A with Joe Hill!!  Lucky!!  Did you get any pics??

I read Heart-Shaped Box...but I really didn't enjoy it....put me off reading anymore Joe Hill for awhile.  But I did hear great things about his new one as well...I'm going to try and get my hands on that one.  Did you read 20th Century Ghosts by any chance?

I had a seat at front and centre about a metre from where he was sitting and I complete forgot to get a picture :blush2:

I have just finished 20th Century Ghosts and really enjoyed some of the stories. Got it signed as well :)

I'm really enjoying George R. R. Martin - A Song of Ice and Fire 1: A Game of Thrones. It's really good and less cringey than the TV series. So far there's a bit less violence and nudity than the TV series (I've seen season one, not yet season two), which is excellent! It might change later on, though.