Your Book Activity - May 2013

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm still reading Mantel's A Place of Greater Safety.  It's a bit of slow going, but really not the books fault, I think.  I haven't had a good, really long block of reading time, and the book requires it, I think.  Also, I'm not as familiar with the characters/people as I was with Wolf Hall and Bring Up the Bodies.  So, the background is somewhat lacking for me.  But it's well written, and most interesting. 

I finished The Secret of Happy Ever After, and now I have a whole sunny day ahead of me, I was thinking I would spend it reading, but I have no idea what to read. Well I'll come up with something soon.

Had one of my organisational days yesterday and made myself a list of all the M. C. Beaton books (all 157 of them!) and which ones I own and have read, and then did some reorganising of my wishlists and added in all the books of hers I haven't read.

Now off to decide what book to start next ...  :bye2: 

I'm still reading A Tale of Two Cities, although I didn't read much while I was home. I did finish a Romanian book last week, it wasn't bad at all. I received a Kindle voucher yesterday, so I have money to spend  :cool:  

I look forward to see your review :). It's not sunny here, you're lucky! I hope you find something nice to read, do let us know (if you want)!

The weather's been just lovely for a few weeks now, I don't know about others but I've come to the conclusion that summer's here :)

I went for Thinner by Richard Bachman, I started it before I left for Nurmes and went for the Lucy Dillon books instead. It's rather short, I might be able to finish it today. I'm having a bit of a read-a-thon of my own this weekend :giggle:

Had one of my organisational days yesterday and made myself a list of all the M. C. Beaton books (all 157 of them!) and which ones I own and have read, and then did some reorganising of my wishlists and added in all the books of hers I haven't read.

Sounds like a really nice day :D

I'm still reading A Tale of Two Cities, although I didn't read much while I was home. I did finish a Romanian book last week, it wasn't bad at all. I received a Kindle voucher yesterday, so I have money to spend  :cool:  

How are you enjoying A Tale of Two Cities? :)

Now off to decide what book to start next ... :bye2:

x

This sounds like an excellent way to spend the day! :)

x

I'm having a bit of a read-a-thon of my own this weekend :giggle:

x

That's exciting!!

I'm reading more in Luc Swinnen - Stress is geen probleem, so far a lot of the information I've already read in other books but he is explaining it well in easy to understand language. It's interesting to read Flemish (similar to Dutch), I haven't read many Dutch books lately so it's a bit weird on one hand but familiar on another.

So far it's been a good weekend readingwise on Friday night i finished Back When We Were Grownups  Anne Tyler, not bad but i didn't enjoy it as much as Digging To America. Then on Saturday morning i started Little House In The Big Woods  Laura Ingalls Wilder for next months Reading Circle, as it's a children's book & there was football on the TV last night i finished it in one day. This morning i read a few chapters of The Great Gatsby i'd like to see the movie but wanted to read the book first.

Other book activity this weekend i took my youngest two to meet the childrens author Steve Cole who was appearing at one of the city libraries, we bought his latest book Magic Ink which he signed. I also discovered that you can borrow a book from any library in the city & just return it to your local library when you've finshed with it - all these years i've been a library user & i never new that  :D

Finished Thinner last night and started The Captain and the Enemy by Graham Greene on a whim, and actually liked what I read so far!

What did you think of Thinner? I enjoyed it with the usual King brutally that he brings.

Started reading Dexter is Delicious by Jeff Lindsay which is great so far!

What did you think of Thinner? I enjoyed it with the usual King brutally that he brings.

I really, really didn't like it at all, which was quite surprising! 1/5 :o

Started reading Dexter is Delicious by Jeff Lindsay which is great so far!

That's my favorite book, oh man oh man you're in for such a treat :D

Howdy folks, nice to meet you all. Just finished up Cormac McCarthy's Blood Meridian. This may well be the de-facto Western novel... very Gothic feel, even 'old-testament harsh'. A quick snippet:

'See the child. He is pale and thin, he wears a thin and ragged linen shirt. He stokes the scullery fire. Outside lie dark turned fields with rags of snow and darker woods beyond that harbor yet a few last wolves. His folk are known for hewers of wood and drawers of water but in truth his father has been a schoolmaster. He lies in drink, he quotes from poets whose names are now lost. The boy crouches by the fire and watches him.

Night of your birth. Thirty-three. The Leonids they were called. God how the stars did fall. I looked for blackness, holes in the heavens. The Dipper stove.

The mother dead these fourteen years did incubate in her own bosom the creature who would carry her off. The father never speaks her name, the child does not know it. He has a sister in this world that he will not see again. He watches, pale and unwashed. He can neither read nor write and in him broods already a taste for mindless violence. All history present in that visage, the child the father of the man...'

While I felt McCarthy could use more punctuation in places (seems he very purposely  does not), his use of colloquial-syntax (my 50¢ word today!) imparts an authentic feel to BM.

Maybe C. S. Lewis's The Screwtape Letters next...