Spiders

risingdawn

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was looking out our kitchen window today and saw a spider web that goes from the top of the screen porch to a dogwood tree that is about 15 feet away from the house. How do they do those things.

They sure are amazing little critters. I think they catch the breeze and throw out a life-line as they sail through the air :)

I know everyone here is going to want to slap me, but I'm rather fond of spiders. But I certainly have a healthy respect for the ones that can bite.

On the north side of the house there is a row of crepe myrtle trees, and more pines (or course!)  Pine country around here.  Anyhow, we don't walk that side very often, and a spider will string across an intricate, and very large web across, between the house and the closest trees.  It's a huge thing, I believe the local name for it is "banana spider", it's several inches long with long legs.  Quite pretty actually, and from what locals have told me, poisonous.  But I leave him alone, live and let live. :)

But one kept weaving a web on the path to the carport, and after three times taking it down, it gave up.  Awwwww....(not!) :D

Someone recently drew my attention to an article saying that there has been an increase in the numbers of false widows spotted in the south east England.  I hadn't heard of them before.  Apparently they're poisonous.  I tend to just let spiders be since I'll mostly come across them outdoors.  I'll give them a day or two grace if found in my home then I turf them out.  I don't want to play hosts to any future mini spiders if they're leaving an egg sack this time of the year. If they want to live in the  coves just outside my windows then that's fine.  They can catch anything that attempts to fly in through the windows. 

I did have a nervous moment when I was at a bus stop.  I'd put my book I was going to read down on the bustop bench for a second.  I picked up the book and began to open it only to discover the largest daddy long legs I've ever seen on the book and it began putting its legs on my chest.  Its leg span was the size of my hand, each leg long as one of my fingers and fine like thread.  I calmly dropped the book which took the spider down with it.  The long legged one, scampered away with me watching it in disbelief.

On the north side of the house there is a row of crepe myrtle trees, and more pines (or course!)  Pine country around here.  Anyhow, we don't walk that side very often, and a spider will string across an intricate, and very large web across, between the house and the closest trees.  It's a huge thing, I believe the local name for it is "banana spider", it's several inches long with long legs.  Quite pretty actually, and from what locals have told me, poisonous.  But I leave him alone, live and let live. :)

But one kept weaving a web on the path to the carport, and after three times taking it down, it gave up.  Awwwww....(not!) :D

:o  :hide:  ... ohhhh!!! ... I'm having flashbacks of Frodo and Shelob again :hide:  :o 

I was bitten once by some spider,  of unknown type.  I was told by the doc that it was not a Brown Recluse, but it did swell to about a 2 inch diameter, and I ran a low fever for about 3 days.  Had to take an antibiotic.  Just felt generally miserable.

Edited by pontalba

At dusk tonight I took a photo of a spider at the top corner of our screen porch......enjoy. :)

Whoa, I almost dropped my iPad looking at these. Thanks a lot Muggle :P Lol. Edited by Rachel56789

• 2 weeks later...

Saw on the news today that a school near the Forest of Dean was forced to close due to an infestation of False Widow spiders :o  :hide:

Beware spider pictures in the following:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-gloucestershire-24623652

I have to confess something I am not proud of.....well you know how kids are sometimes curious and a bit cruel...when I was 9 or 10 I found this huge huge hairy brown house spider.  Just to see what would happen I sellotaped it to my chest of drawers and wired it up to one of those big 9 volt batteries you don't get anymore and electric shocked him.

I hope chaliepud is not reading this.

If anyone wants to see a biggish spider, this one is circulating Facebook. Claims to be an Angolan Witch Spider in Texas, which lives primarily on cats and dogs. Took several gunshots to kill it. But don't believe everything you read or see. Not for arachnophobes ;)

http://www.hoax-slayer.com/images/Sure-You-Want-To-Move-To-Florida.jpg

Edited by poppy