Spiders

risingdawn

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I appreciate that, but stabbing with a knife? I suppose I should be grateful RisingDawn isn't terrified of mice? I have quite a bad bird phobia but have yet to resort to any form of violence when either a bird gets in or the cat brings one in. There is always another option, and a knife certainly isn't it. :(

I wouldn't do something like that to anything larger. It was because the legs were twitching which really freaks me out.

The knife was only because the legs were still twitching! I don't think this needs to come down to such a personal level, spiders are a little different to larger animals, and many people have to resort to squishing.

Exactly.

Ok, I will leave this 'discussion'... Clearly the concept of a sledgehammer to crack a nut is lost here, Just hard not to judge people on how they treat other creatures.. Would you squash a bee because it stung you? Really?  A knife when you could have stamped on it?  ... Nothing to be proud of..

One thing I don't get is that videogame developers take great delight in putting giant spiders in their games (which I've always considered a cheap way of getting scares, because they know how many people are arachnophic - and it works - I'm still mentally scarred from the appearance of the first giant spider in Tomb Raider 2 . . . ) so you're obliged to kill them - the giant spiders, not the developers - before they kill you, and yet they don't give you a 'Big Slipper Weapon' to do the job.  Makes no sense.  I blame Tolkien. ;)

We all have our phobies. Mine is spiders. Many others share this phobie. But there is not way in H...that I would get close enough to those big hairy ones to capture one in a jar. I figure i'm giving them a fighting chance in my vacuum. One night we had three (YES 3) come out from under the cabinet in the living room. And, yes, once again they were scuttleing towards us- never away from us.

I've had a great many run-ins with these creepy 8 legged critters and they have never been positive. Once I walked into my child's room, turned on the light to check on her before going to bed. Her bed was lengthwise up again the back wall. Switched on the light. Switched off the light. Did a Huge dubble take. Switched back on the light only to see exactly what I thought I saw. A huge spider on the wall about a foot away from my daughter's head. It was big. I was scared. My daughter was asleep. I had to think quickly before the blasted thing decided to scurry away. So, I got the vaccum, dared to suck it up praying at the same time that my daughter would not wake up and scream her lungs out.

Or the time I was alone in the house and decided to watch a doco about one of the most dangerous spiders, the banana spiders. It was scarey and fascinating at the same time. And I was just soooo glad that they lived far, far away. The commercials came on and I went into the kitchen to get something to drink. Came back, sat on the couch. And, there on the wall next to the tv was one of the biggest spiders I had yet to encounter! What did it do crawl out of the tv? It was so eerie. I vaccumed him up, plugged up the vaccum, attached a note to my dear hubby asking him to take care of the bag, and evacuated the downstairs for my safe upstairs bedroom. They say they come in twos. Mostly, in my experience, they do.

When I was young my mom would wake up with bumps on her arm. It took a week for her to figure it out. There was a spider (Yes, we saw it on her) that came and fed off of her each night. Who knows that might have been the start of my phobia.

That is not to say that I don't think they are usefull. They are when they are outside. Mostly when running away from me. hehe

So, just saying....they are not my friends and I can appreciate those of you who can find something positive about them. I even admire those of you who can find it in them to personally deal with them. I can not. Of this I am not ashamed. Just wish I was braver at times.

That story of the babies coming out of the spider is enough to give me nightmares.

• 1 month later...

There's a spider somewhere in this room - a big fat one.  I saw it last night, crawling across the ceiling (why do they always go places I can't reach??) and then it went behind the shelves I have my dvds on.  So I climbed on a chair to reach the top shelf and started moving dvds to try and find it, and it had disappeared!

This room is no longer mine, it is now called Shelob's Lair :hide:    It would be typical if it has crawled inside the Return of the King dvd box :giggle2:

One thing I don't get is that videogame developers take great delight in putting giant spiders in their games (which I've always considered a cheap way of getting scares, because they know how many people are arachnophic - and it works - I'm still mentally scarred from the appearance of the first giant spider in Tomb Raider 2 . . . ) so you're obliged to kill them - the giant spiders, not the developers - before they kill you, and yet they don't give you a 'Big Slipper Weapon' to do the job.  Makes no sense.  I blame Tolkien. ;)

:giggle2:  I know this is an old post but I only just read it and it really made me laugh! I think Lara Croft should have a giant slipper for the next game, you should make that suggestion :D. When I was little I had the first Harry Potter game on pc, and there were giant spider enemies in that, they were really scary! I remember that you had to cast a certain spell on them and they would turn upside down with their legs curled up. Pretty freaky for a kids game in my opinion!

I remember reading somewhere that everyone is born with a fear of spiders, just as a natural instinct that developed from the knowledge that some spiders are poisonous, I guess that made them a popular way to frighten people!

I'm not too bad with them, but I think that's mostly because I know we don't really have spiders in the UK that can hurt you, if I lived somewhere that did have poisonous spiders, I'd probably feel differently! When I was little my dad would pick up a spider from the house and convince me to let it walk on my hands (while he was watching it didn't run up my arm or anything :giggle:), so he'd kind of make me think of it like a pet, and then we'd find a place for it to live in the garden. I think that probably made me much less scared of them too. Saying that, even though I don't mind the big slower ones, I hate the ones that jump and the spindly ones that disappear too easily, I'd never pick one of those up!

There's a spider somewhere in this room - a big fat one.  I saw it last night, crawling across the ceiling (why do they always go places I can't reach??) and then it went behind the shelves I have my dvds on.  So I climbed on a chair to reach the top shelf and started moving dvds to try and find it, and it had disappeared!

This room is no longer mine, it is now called Shelob's Lair :hide:    It would be typical if it has crawled inside the Return of the King dvd box :giggle2:

Good Luck finding baby Shelob :giggle:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been arachnophobic since I was about 7, and a huge one dropped out of a light onto the top of my head. My sis took one look at it and ran screaming, and I didn't know what it was, but could feel it starting to crawl down onto my face. Thankfully my bro flicked it off my head, and when I saw it on the floor, it was HUGE and hey presto, welcome to arachnophobia! The worst thing was no-one else in the house was bothered enough to get rid of it, so I kept coming across the darn thing! Awful now I think back, what were my parents thinking!!??  :blink: 

It was quite harrowing for me, as we lived in the country, spiders were always around. Then I moved to live in Brisbane, Aust for 10 years, and to begin with my phobia was really exacerbated huge huntsmans all over the place, but then when I had kids, something quite remarkable happened one night. I had two children asleep in the room, and 2 large huntsman spiders sitting on the wall. I was quite sleep deprived, and my options were to chase the spiders out, and risk waking the kids, or just forget about them. Amazingly enough, I managed to get to sleep, by morning the spiders had gone elsewhere, and I am SO much better with them now. 

De-sensitisation really does work, it's not a situation I would ever have put myself in willingly, but I am glad it has helped my phobia to ease so much.

When I was young my mom would wake up with bumps on her arm. It took a week for her to figure it out. There was a spider (Yes, we saw it on her) that came and fed off of her each night. Who knows that might have been the start of my phobia.

OMG!! I can feel my phobia coming back!!! :hide:         Which country were these spider episodes of yours in? I'm just noting it down as a "Do not visit" or take an enormous can of spray with me if I do!!! 

I hate any creepy crawlies being in the same room as me, but I can watch them on the tv or in films. I use my trainers to squish them.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm more afraid of bugs that can sting than of spiders, but if they're particularly big or if they're close to me or my bed, I want them out! Preferably put them outside alive, I do think many spiders are useful creatures.

• 3 weeks later...

We had a big (well, big by my standards) one crawling on the ceiling tonight. I climbed up on the kitchen counter to put it in a glass, but when I got close to it I turned into a big wussy-pants and ended up getting hubby to get it. We then dispatched it out the kitchen window and firmly shut it outside!! Spiders are not welcome here! :hide:

When I was young my mom would wake up with bumps on her arm. It took a week for her to figure it out. There was a spider (Yes, we saw it on her) that came and fed off of her each night.

OMG!! :thud: I didn't need to know this ... things are bad enough as it is :hide: I knew coming here was a bad idea :D 

Bites reported in London and south east due to Britain's most poisonous spider

Naturally, there's a picture in the article of the spider in the article, so . . .

A man has been bitten in his sleep by Britain’s most poisonous spider as hordes of the arachnid are reported to have invaded parts of London and Kent due to climate change.

Alex Michael, 36, a tattoo artist from Sidcup in London told News Shopper how his hand turned yellow and black after being attacked by a false widow spider, also called steatoda nobilis.

His hand remained swollen “like a balloon” for five weeks until doctors gave him a course of antibiotics.

Dubbed the “British black widow”, the deadly spider, which is about the size of a 50 pence piece, unleashes venom and can kill those who are allergic to it. However, it will only attack if provoked.

The false widow spider has also been sighted in Orpington and in Greenwich, where one victim was 29-year-old glazier Paul Lakeman, who felt something on his shoulder as he lay down to sleep.

“I was in bed with the light off,” Mr Lakeman toldNews Shopper.

“I have quite a lot of hair and it normally brushes on my shoulder and being a hot night I had the fan on. To begin with I thought it was my hair so instinctively I threw it off onto the floor.

“I heard the spider hit the floor and I looked at it - it looked like it meant business.”

Decorator Andy Pitty from Greenhithe near Dartford in Kent says he has counted 50 of the spiders across three fences at his home.

The 43-year-old told News Shopper: “An expert at the British Arachnological Society said he was surprised they were in the garden and not in the house so I’m just worried about them coming in for warmth.

“I had seen a couple of babies so knew they had young. I went out with my torch one night and the fence was coming to life.”

He added: “I caught one and I’m sure it was a male. I put it in (a glass) with one of the baby spiders and it just killed it within seconds.”

The false widow spider first came to the UK over 100 years ago in crates of fruit from the Canary Islands. It has been established in Devon for a long time but recently climate change has caused the population to spread across the south east.

The spider is likely to spread northwards in years to come, according to the Natural History Museum’s Insect Information Service (IIS).

The IIS hears of about 10 cases of spider bites each year, although no one in the UK has ever died as a result of one.

In 2006 a Dorchester man was hospitalised for three days after suffering a heart seizure following a spider bite believed to have been caused by a false widow.

Tony Wileman, a conservation ecologist at the London Wildlife Trust, said: "The severity of symptoms of false widow spider bites depends on how much venom has been injected and reports from false widow spider bites have included symptoms like chest pains and a swelling and tingling of the bite area.

"It is recommended that if bitten by a spider thought to be a false widow spider then medical attention (a visit to the A&E department or your local GP) should be sought informing the medical staff that you think you have been bitten by a false widow spider. Do not ring 999.

"Nearly all spider bites come from attempting to catch the spider so it is highly recommended that this is not undertaken. However, If you must remove the spider from your home, please capture it using a jar and a stick or pencil and try not to touch the spider with your hands."

:hide: