Unfinished books.. will you pick them up again?

If a book doesn't grab me early on and I'm struggling to get through the pages, I don't mind giving up after even 20 or 30 pages.. If I'm getting distracted and bored, I'm not getting anything out of it for myself, and it's hard for a book to win me over after that. The most recent I gave up on was "Chasing Harry Winston" by Lauren Weisberger. I also gave up on Plum Sykes' "Bergdorf Blondes".. Both of these books just totally bored me, even though I thought I was going to love the light reads. ;)

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

same here!

Well..I sometimes hate doing it. What if the ending makes the book worth it? but I have no motivation to see if thats true. :blush:

I sometimes wonder about what I`ll be missing........but I get over it! :)

The most recent I gave up on was "Chasing Harry Winston" by Lauren Weisberger. I also gave up on Plum Sykes' "Bergdorf Blondes".. Both of these books just totally bored me, even though I thought I was going to love the light reads. :blush:

I wish I'd given up on Chasing Harry Winston. I did use it for some anger management (read: random book tossing) later, and I have to say, the book is not all bad. It flies pretty well!!

I also read Bergdorf Blondes, but cannot for the life of me remember anything about it. So that should give you an impression on its impact on me. *laughs*

I wish I'd given up on Chasing Harry Winston. I did use it for some anger management (read: random book tossing) later, and I have to say, the book is not all bad. It flies pretty well!!

I also read Bergdorf Blondes, but cannot for the life of me remember anything about it. So that should give you an impression on its impact on me. *laughs*

Glad to hear I'm not alone here.. I'm keeping "CHW" on the shelf in case I decide to try it again, but I seriously don't know if I can do it. And "BB" was so hyped up that I thought I was going to loove it.. So disappointing! At least now I know it's not just me.

I've given up on Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks, the God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy, War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy and Great Expectations by Charles Dickens. in my defense the last 3 in the list I tried reading in my late teens early 20's and at which time, I knew, I'd grown tired of reading and needed a change. They also require alot of patience due to length and (in AR's case) prose. of these only War and Peace is something I'd tackle again (purely for vanity's sake :blush:).

Edited by Kell
Inserted ALL the capitals!

Glad to hear I'm not alone here.. I'm keeping "CHW" on the shelf in case I decide to try it again, but I seriously don't know if I can do it. And "BB" was so hyped up that I thought I was going to loove it.. So disappointing! At least now I know it's not just me.

Don't bother saving CHW. I wrote a sort-of-review (I never write full reviews) about it basically calling out the poor character development, the repetitive use of "as her best friend" or some other line as that instead of showing that the women were close, the stereotype characters and the lousy telling where everything happened "between the gaps of the text" and was just recapped to the reader. Gosh, that drove me mad!

Aaaah, the eternal curse of the Hype. The expectations we have make up so much of the experience. I once rented Dukes Of Hazzard with My Friend With Huge Boobs, expecting it to be complete BS, as everyone was saying how awful it is. We laughed out heads off! It was brilliant! And we still love that movie. Because we expected nothing to begin with. It's all about the hype...

Don't bother saving CHW. I wrote a sort-of-review (I never write full reviews) about it basically calling out the poor character development, the repetitive use of "as her best friend" or some other line as that instead of showing that the women were close, the stereotype characters and the lousy telling where everything happened "between the gaps of the text" and was just recapped to the reader. Gosh, that drove me mad!

Aaaah, the eternal curse of the Hype. The expectations we have make up so much of the experience. I once rented Dukes Of Hazzard with My Friend With Huge Boobs, expecting it to be complete BS, as everyone was saying how awful it is. We laughed out heads off! It was brilliant! And we still love that movie. Because we expected nothing to begin with. It's all about the hype...

I will take your advice on not saying CHW.. I'm just not sure I could try to muddle through the nonsense again. :D

You're right about expectations.. I think I've been disappointed a few times in the past, and I've finally learned to not let hype play into things for me. It worked with the Twilight series as that was hyped to hell and back.. I expected little (mainly because I'm not into vampire & fantasy works) and actually had no problem with the series. If I'd expected it to rock my world due to the hype, I would have been sadly disappointed in the books possibly. But the movie.. Gawd, the movie! I made the mistake of expecting something from that, and I about strangled myself. :blush::)

It's a valuable lesson in expecting nothing, and being pleasantly surprised.. or expecting the world, and getting ****.

Expect nothing, and you can't be disappointed, I guess, eh??

I don't think I've ever just 'given up' on a book - I have not been able to get into a book and left it for a while, but when I've gone back to it, I've been able to get into it.

That said, there have been a couple of books that when I've got to the end I've thought 'I wish I had given up!':roll:

I don't think I've ever just 'given up' on a book - I have not been able to get into a book and left it for a while, but when I've gone back to it, I've been able to get into it.

I'm similar to that. There have been a few i haven't finished but i do intend to try again. I find it's more because i'm not in the mood for that type of book though, not because i don't like the book. Sometimes i'm after reading something specific and i'm not sure what it is till i try one or two.

As of nine years ago I do give up on some books, others I persevere at. Jane Eyre took me almost two decades. I got it at the age of fourteen when a friend recommended it. I got through a few chapters put it aside and finished school, moved countries, started college, moved out of the family home, shared a flat, got my own place, decorated it twice over the years then finally I picked up where I left off with the book. I've read thousands of books in that time.

Funnily enough i have just started trying to read Jane Eyre and i couldn't get into it. I've known the story since being very young as my mum is a big fan and we would watch loads of the oldie films together.

Oh dear goodness.. and here I am looking sooo forward to it. I hope I am able to get into it. Now I am worried! :readingtwo:

It's not bad....well what i've read of it isn't bad. I think i couldn't get into it because the films gave me the wrong idea of what to expect. I'm going to try it again though. Never give up! Never surrender! :readingtwo:

I will forge ahead, undeterred!! *brave music playing*

I very rarely give up on a book, i think the last was The Da Vinci Code i got about 100 pages in.

That's interesting, I certainly didn't think it was so bad that it needed to be given up one. It wasn't the best of Dan Brown's books, but I certainly ploughed through to the end. What was so bad about it for you? I know it wasn't brilliant, but was it just that it failed to grab your attention?

I gave up on 2 books towards the end of last year.

They are:~

The Front~Mandasue Heller

I don't mind swearing in a book but this was terrible every pahe was full of swear words.

The Contract~Gerald Seymour

I just could not get into this book but I may give it a try again at a later date.

That's interesting, I certainly didn't think it was so bad that it needed to be given up one. It wasn't the best of Dan Brown's books, but I certainly ploughed through to the end. What was so bad about it for you? I know it wasn't brilliant, but was it just that it failed to grab your attention?

I cant really say why i didnt like it, maybe after all the hype i was just expecting something better.

I'm contemplating giving up on my current read. It's Never Say Never by Melissa Hill. At the moment it's very average and I don't care enough about any of the characters to wonder what will happen.

Although, from experience, Melissa Hill usually throws in a huge twist of some sort. So, I think I'm getting antsy because I'm waiting for that!

:readingtwo:

I gave up on 2 books towards the end of last year.

They are:~

The Front~Mandasue Heller

I don't mind swearing in a book but this was terrible every pahe was full of swear words.

:readingtwo: Did you ever see the Father Ted episode, And God Created Woman, where Ted becomes infatuated with the visiting author Polly Clarke? That reminds me of Mrs Doyle's "critique" of her novels :D

Funnily enough i have just started trying to read Jane Eyre and i couldn't get into it. I've known the story since being very young as my mum is a big fan and we would watch loads of the oldie films together.

I've read Jane Eyre a couple of times now, but I do remember struggling with the first few chapters the first time I read it. Once I got through them I was okay though. How far into it are you?

I'm contemplating giving up on my current read. It's Never Say Never by Melissa Hill. At the moment it's very average and I don't care enough about any of the characters to wonder what will happen.

Although, from experience, Melissa Hill usually throws in a huge twist of some sort. So, I think I'm getting antsy because I'm waiting for that!

I really liked that book, and yes there is a big twist or two towards the end.

:readingtwo: Did you ever see the Father Ted episode, And God Created Woman, where Ted becomes infatuated with the visiting author Polly Clarke? That reminds me of Mrs Doyle's "critique" of her novels :D

Never watched Father Ted wasn't keen on it I am not into comedy programes unfortuately

I almost never give up on books, because I choose good ones.

I thought the ones I had chosen were good going by the blurb on the back and one was an author that I had never heard off and was looking forward to reading it but she was the worst with all that swearing. Need to start looking inside the books:readingtwo: now so I don't get disappointed. :lol:

Edited by Michelle
merged