Tunn 300's 2013 Reading Log

tunn300

Well it was my birthday yesterday and as a result I have been given two new books along with some lovely book vouchers. The books were given to me based upon my passion for cricket and they were;

CMJ: A Cricketing Life - Christopher Martin Jenkins

Twirlymen - Amol Rajan

I am heading home from France today so will have to pop to Waterstones in the next couple of days and decide what to spend my vouchers on. 

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for all the birthday wishes all. I took quite some time to choose the books I spent my vouchers on with much picking up and then changing my mind. Waterstones have many appealing looking books at the moment. In the end i went for:

Maggot Moon by Sally Gardner

Alex by Pierre Lemantre

The Honey Guide by RIchard Crompton

Lost at Sea by Jon Richardson

Picked up a couple of books on Kindle over the past couple of days.

David Mitchell - Back Story (after reading a thread about in the non-fiction section by Poppy and Frankie I think)

:giggle2: Yes that would be poppyshake and me, and Claire and Janet... :giggle2: Wohoo for getting a copy!

The Knot - Mark Watson

Thanks for the great review, this one's going on my wishlist as I quite like the sound of it :)

Back Story - David Mitchell

I found the book relatively amusing and it was written exactly as you would imagine Mitchell to say it.

I haven't yet read the whole book myself, but I know what you mean: you can actually hear Mitchell narrate it with that distinctive voice of his as you're reading on :wub::giggle2:

I'm glad you liked the book eventhough not as much as you'd wished :)

Oh, and a very happy belated Birthday!! :smile2:

• 5 weeks later...

Well I haven't been on for a while. I have invested in a new kindle in the time that I have been away and I am almost at the end of two books. Maggot Moon and I Am The Secret Footballer. Hope to get both finished by the end of the week.

Review - Maggot Moon

51DNNVHg1bL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-stic

Synopsis Amazon

A starkly original and heartbreaking tale of friendship and rebellion

50% Friendship, 20% Danger, 20% Rebellion, 10% Conspiracy

Shortlisted for the Carnegie Medal and a 2012 Costa Award winner. Narrated against the backdrop of a ruthless regime determined to beat its enemies in the race to the moon, MAGGOT MOON is the stunning new novel from award-winning author Sally Gardner.

When his best friend Hector is suddenly taken away, Standish Treadwell realises that it is up to him, his grandfather and a small band of rebels to confront and defeat the ever-present oppressive forces of the Motherland.

Utterly original and stunning, it is impossible not to be moved by MAGGOT MOON's powerful story and the unforgettable heroism of Standish.

Review

I picked up this book with some birthday vouchers after been enticed by the synopsis and cover (not actually the one pictured). I hadn't actually heard of it before but was intrigued enough to give it a go. 

The story follows Standish Treadwell, a school boy with special needs, during his time at school. Standish lives in a nation that filters all media and controls everything. The state is the law and everyone follows the rules or pays the price, think North Korea. Around the time the book is set this empire is about to launch a moon mission and plant weapons on the moon to destroy all the 'motherlands' enemies, or so its citizens believe.

See the premise sounds really exciting. The chapters are incredibly short, some just a paragraph and are told from the perspective of Standish. I did enjoy finding out about everyday life for the citizens of this regime and some of the plot points were fairly interesting. My main problem with the book is the way it is told. I have read many books told from children's perspectives, including those with additional needs, but for me this doesn't quite hit the mark. I also found the plot points fairly simple and the ending was quite lear a way off.

Overall I am a bit disappointed with this book and would only recommend it as a quick read if you can find it cheap and are interested in learning a bit about how people leave in an oppressed regime. 

6/10

I Am the Secret Footballer - The Secret Footballer

51VnbgpZsqL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-stic

Synopsis Amazon

It is often said that 95% of what happens in football takes place behind closed doors.

Many of these stories I shouldn't be telling you.

But I will.

Who is The Secret Footballer? Only a few people know the true identity of the man inside the game. But whoever he is - and whoever he plays for - he is always honest, fearless and opinionated. Here he reveals everything you need to know about the hidden world of professional football, and what it's really like to do the job that most of us can only dream of.

Review

I picked this book up when it was on offer for £1 on kindle earlier this year. I had read many of the secret footballers columns in the Guardian and found them interesting and insightful. The book is a series of chapters about different areas of football that the secret footballer attempts to lift the lid on. 

I found some of the chapters of the book genuinely interesting and informative whilst others i found plain dull. I do feel there is just a little too much self pity in the book for my taste and whilst I do sympathise with some of the side-effects of playing modern football many people have horrible parts to their jobs. 

Overall I wouldn't recommend this book as a good read about what goes on behind closed doors in the modern game but merely an ok toilet read that has some interesting stories.

5/10

Well I have finished Wher'ed You Go Bernadette late last night. Its the quickest I have read a book in quite a while and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Will post a full review soon but agree with Bobblybear it is also my favourite book of the year so far.

What to start next???

Yay!! .. so glad to hear you enjoyed it Tunn :)

Frankie: Perhaps you might see it at the library? Tunn, Bobbs and I think it's great .. what more do you need to know :giggle:  ;) 

The thing that worries me (and which I'm sure I asked you about, but forgot what you replied! :blush:) is if this is chick-littish :shrug: I don't mind chick lit, I've read my fair share and will continue to do so, but for some reason I have my doubts about this book. But I do recall that whatever you said about it when I asked you about it, make me not doubt it so much, but I've come back to doubt land :rolleyes::D So odd!!

This is unrelated, but poppyshake, isn't tunn the one who also liked Gold by Dan Rhodes? Tunn, was it you? For some reason when I came to read tunn's latest posts and noticed he'd enjoyed the same book as poppyshake, it made me think of Gold and you two sharing a like for that book :)

Edit: Where does the username 'tunn300' come from, btw :D

Edited by frankie

Yes he did like Gold .. good memory frankie :)

WYGB is not chick-litty .. not really (so take the bus out of doubtland and don't buy a return ticket :D)

A good way to know is to read a couple of pages of it .. if you see it when out and about .. and see how you like its style. If you were here with me I could tuck you up in my favourite armchair, with a nice glass of wine and some nibbles and fetch you my copy and just sit there waiting for you to tell me what you think (no .. that's not very relaxing is it? .. I'll get a book of my own and let you get on with it .. but secretly watch to see if your face gives anything away :giggle2:) .. you'll know in a very short time whether it's for you or not.

Yes he did like Gold .. good memory frankie :)

Well what can I say. Gold is such a special book! :)

WYGB is not chick-litty .. not really (so take the bus out of doubtland and don't buy a return ticket :D)

Okay okay, I will :D It's on my wishlist already, anyway, so I'm to go with it!! :D

A good way to know is to read a couple of pages of it .. if you see it when out and about .. and see how you like its style. If you were here with me I could tuck you up in my favourite armchair, with a nice glass of wine and some nibbles and fetch you my copy and just sit there waiting for you to tell me what you think (no .. that's not very relaxing is it? .. I'll get a book of my own and let you get on with it .. but secretly watch to see if your face gives anything away :giggle2:) .. you'll know in a very short time whether it's for you or not.

That would be splendid, but you know that if I was there, there was no way I could settle down comfortably reading a book. We'd chat our mouths off and giggle and talk books! :D

Well what can I say. Gold is such a special book! :)

Indeed it is, it's under-appreciated I think .. but not by us :D

Okay okay, I will :D It's on my wishlist already, anyway, so I'm to go with it!! :D

Yippee Yi Yay!! :boogie: 

That would be splendid, but you know that if I was there, there was no way I could settle down comfortably reading a book. We'd chat our mouths off and giggle and talk books! :D

Wouldn't that be awesome? :friends0: