How Can I Preserve a Book?

Hi

I did a search but couldn't find any results.

I have an elderly book, the binding has come away completely and it's spine is held by selotape, although not very well.  It's been like that for a number of years but I didn't know if there was anything I could do to protect it better for the future.

I don't want to spend loads of money doing it but I didn't know if laminating it would work.  Hmm.

Any ideas?

Thanks

I agree with Raven, anotheruser, expensive as it may be, a professional opinion is best for an already-elderly book.

It might cost a bit, but if your old friend is special enough it'll be worth it.  

Otherwise, what about storing your elderly (or newer) book/s in an airtight box of some kind and keeping it in a place where it's dry.

It works well for me as I've no other choice than to store many of my own books outside in an airtight (plastic) crate. So long as I'm careful to bring it inside before I open it, (i.e. in the dry) they seem quite fit and and happy, and I've has some of them for years.

Are you a member of your local Library? Even if not, maybe a Librarian could offer some advice. The Public Libraries store some really elderly books in a particular way in order to keep them as fit as possible. It might be worth an ask.

Good Luck     

• 3 weeks later...