"Libraries I have visited"

Janet

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks all. It was Devi who inspired the idea though with her beautiful pictures of Sydney library which is stunning. :) It's a shame you guys couldn't prevent your library from closing. I must say I quite like your new one though.

Some wonderful libraries. Kell - I love the statues in the pavements - awesome. Marcia - I like your top library.

This is Bristol's main library - the Bristol Central Library. I think this library is lovely. :)

BristolCentralLibrary.jpg

And this is the entrance lobby.

BristolCentralLibrary4.jpg

BristolCentralLibrary2.jpg

Actually I find the ones posted by Devi and Kell interesting. They are a nice break from the stone piles.......which are fascinating in their own way of course. Nothing against them, but different is wonderful too!

Here is our little library, this is the closest to us. Frankly, they don't have a very good selection. Sorry about the size, it's the only one online I could find.

1z3ne5u.jpg

It's in the middle of town, but it's a small town. :D

Thanks all. It was Devi who inspired the idea though with her beautiful pictures of Sydney library which is stunning. :) It's a shame you guys couldn't prevent your library from closing. I must say I quite like your new one though.

It is an amazing library isn't it!

Actually, I live just near Melbourne which is in Victoria! That's the State Library of Victoria, my town is 45mins outside of Melbourne. :)

Edited by Devi

AIE: Now, Janet, THAT is a Library!!

Lovely, isn't it. :)

Sorry Devi. I know Melbourne is in Victoria - for some reason I just thought you said it was a library in Sydney when you posted in frankie's thread and I didn't go back to check and didn't see your post in here. :blush:

Pont

You library looks a lot more like ours in this area. I guess we don't have as many of the really old fancy buildings here as they would in England. Their libraries look like castles ! It'd be so neat to live in a place that has so many impressive buildings .

It's true Julie that our local ones are certainly not majestic. However the New York City (manhatten main) library is fantastic.

2h697j9.jpg

There actually two lions, but this shot only catches one. We visited there on our trip in October.

It's true Julie that our local ones are certainly not majestic. However the New York City (manhatten main) library is fantastic.

2h697j9.jpg

There actually two lions, but this shot only catches one. We visited there on our trip in October.

Who you gonna call ?

GHOSTBUSTERS !!!

Isn't this the library they used in the beginning that was supposedly haunted by an old lady ? Really a neat old building ! Any idea what year it was built ?

Who you gonna call ?

GHOSTBUSTERS !!!

Isn't this the library they used in the beginning that was supposedly haunted by an old lady ? Really a neat old building ! Any idea what year it was built ?

LOL I don't know about that film, but that library was used to great effect in the film The Day After Tomorrow with Dennis Quaid, glacier down the front of the library, slowly rising ice, burning books for warmth.....here is the wiki article on the film. Really good film IMO. http://en.wikipedia...._After_Tomorrow

Looks like 1902....there are some great interior shots and a long shot of the exterior in this wiki article. http://en.wikipedia...._Public_Library

Edited by pontalba

I'm not much of a movie fan,but I DID see Ghostbusters many moons ago .

Did you ever read the book Time and Again by Jack Finney ? Stunningly beautiful old black and white photos of New York from the late 1800's . Great book ! It had lots of pics of New York back in the old days .

This is the loveliest library I've visited here, in India. It's located in Shimla.

(Shimla was the "Summer Capital" of British-India, and this was built in 1910)

shimla_library_1910_zps1fc8b46e.jpg

Bristol Library is gorgeous! I'd love to have our library look like that.

Instead, this is our monstrosity. It's recent building (maybe two years old), funded from lottery money I think. Would have looked nicer if not for the green.

post-7534-0-22692100-1359140036_thumb.jpg

Edited by bobblybear

It's really gorgeous, Bree. :)

Last ones from me (well, last one that I've taken myself, anyway!) is Cardiff library.

DSCF1003.jpg

Obviously the signs are bilingual

DSCF1010.jpg

And it has lovely views of the city - here you can just about see the Millennium stadium...

DSCF1007.jpg

I love this thread - I want to go and :readingtwo: in all of those lovely libraries!

I have placed an image on Flickr, but can't work out how to upload it here. Any hints?

momo, there should be a 'Share menu' which gives you the URL to share.

Also, you can read here-

http://www.flickr.com/help/sharing/

Thanks Bree.

This link is to a picture of Hitchin Library that I use quite often:

8417685030_a3e9be03ca.jpg

It has a lovely Physic Garden right next to it: http://flic.kr/p/a4qRNv

Unfortunately there is quite a lot of traffic noise, so not as peaceful to sit in and read in as it could be, but very pretty.

I still haven't worked out how to upload the actual picture here.

Thanks for the Hitchin pics Momo, I grew up in Stevenage, worked, lived and met my other half in Hitchin, then moved to Letchworth and lived there for 2 years before moving away. I used to love the psychic garden at Hitchin library and often used to walk through there on my lunch hour...

Edited by chaliepud