Book fairs

Athena

I don't know if you have book fairs in other countries, since a few years ago I discovered the Netherlands has one! They're in a different city each month, and every year in the same place (usually..). They're also in Belgium. Inside the building that it's at, there's tables and tables of books (Dutch and English), information books as well as novels. There are also some comics and manga, as well as a bunch of miscellaneous things such as wrapping paper and things for children. Everything has been on display on book shops but they couldn't sell it. Most things are very cheaply priced compared to what you'd pay in a book shop. On occasion a book is damaged (don't buy it in that case, imo), most of the time it's in pretty good condition. It's generally busy, but lots of fun. Anyway, I go to book fairs sometimes and then come home with a load of books :D. It's always a lot of fun for bookwurm me :P. Has anyone else had any experience with a book fair? (I realise it may be completely different from my own, since most of you live in a different country etc)

I don't remember seeing one advertised anywhere by me for years. I simply hadn't given them a thought. Now, I feel like I've been missing out! I'm going to google them and see if I can find a local one.

We have lots of small book fairs around the Sydney area, and there are some bigger ones held by Lifeline (a charity that helps people with mental illness or who need someone to talk to). I love their fairs because the money goes straight to the charity, so we all win. :)

Most people here have probably heard me ramble on and on about one book fair in particular, which is held in Canberra (a few hours south of me) a couple of times each year. It goes for 3 days and I think they have around 50,000+ books each time. The books are really cheap and often look as though they've never been read (although they are all secondhand). They have a big team of volunteers who wander around and put out more books as space becomes available - the quality starts to deteriorate by the third day, but the prices are also reduced. You can basically wander around and around all day long, for a couple of days, and keep seeing new books (and I do stay there all day long!)

• 2 months later...

Our Symphoney Society has a book fair sale every year, and we come away with, literally, bags of books.  Great places.

Also the US State Department has a book sale every year, in October in Washington D.C..  We've been and it's fabulous! 

Every second year one of our local churches have a huge mega book sale in aid of Christian Aid and it goes on for a week. My friend and I always visit, but it does add to the TBR pile quite a lot but a great place to go browse. Great for looking for books from your wishlist and so satisfying if you come across something your have really been looking for.

I think the fun of going to book fair is looking for that special book to suplement your collection. That one book you've been trying to find and it has eluded you.

I love your book fair Athena.