pontalba's 2013 reading list

pontalba

I forgot to mention I also finished All Souls by Javier Marias a definite 3.5/5.....bordering on 4/5 really.

Marias, as always a slow moving, round about story of a man, a (single) Spanish professor, on loan to Oxford University.  He chronicles his affair with a married woman that lasts most of his two year sojourn at the University.  We hear all the juicy gossip of the professors, but told in a non-salacious manner. 

The interesting thing to me is that this character is the same one that comes to.......lets say a mystifying end in Marias's latest book, The Infatuations.  Which I just happened to have read only last month.  Synchronicity at it's best. :)

• Replies 551
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yippie!!!!  The boxes of books arrived in today's mail!  I can't believe it!  We only mailed them from WDC Thursday morning....... :eek::D :D :D

The Kramer Books are:

Dark Back of Time by Javier Marias

When I was Mortal by Javier Marias

Bangkok Haunts by John Burdett

Priceless by Robert K. Wittman

A Brief History of Thought by Luc Ferry

The Obamians by James Mann

Dusk by James Salter

Cassada by James Salter

Thank you, all!  :D

I was knocked out when I opened the mailbox and there they were, filling the rather large, rural mailbox.  :cool:

Well, I must admit to stopping by B&N this afternoon.  :)  We managed only two books.

Never Come Back by David Bell

Others of My Kind by James Sallis

Also, I added a few to my wish list on the iphone. 

Why did I get an image of you shouting that from the door of a helicopter with Ride of the Valyries blasting away in the background? :D

:giggle2:

Others of My Kind by James Sallis 5/5

Last night I read a James Sallis novel, in one sitting, Others of My Kind, I cannot say enough good things about it, or his writing. Poetic, spare, eloquent and hard hitting. It will break your heart, then revive your faith in humanity.

His characters are complex, and straight forward at the same time. The more I think about the story, the more I love it.    

I found James Sallis through this very forum, and am very grateful to a poster that hasn't posted here since, that I know of, one sophiagia10.  Here is that thread...just FYI :)  http://www.bookclubforum.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/11107-top-10-books-of-2012-for-fans-of-new-orleans-and-louisiana-set-tales/#entry322873

I've read several of Sallis's Lew Griffin series, a PI based in New Orleans a few decades ago.  Good stuff, accurate portrayal of Non-touristy New Orleans.

Edited by pontalba

Kat

I was gonna say I think I remember you reading another book by this same author not too long ago, so you must enjoy his writing . I haven't read anything by him . So is he from your area, or just likes to write stories set down there ?

I think I remember the Sophia person who was on here, but haven't seen her in awhile .

Thanks for the review of Others Of My Kind Pontalba i just checked the library catalogue & my local library has a copy so now i'm thinking do i have time to get down there today & grab it before any one else get there  :D

Kat

I was gonna say I think I remember you reading another book by this same author not too long ago, so you must enjoy his writing . I haven't read anything by him . So is he from your area, or just likes to write stories set down there ?

I think I remember the Sophia person who was on here, but haven't seen her in awhile .

Yeah, I've read several of Sallis's, plus have more on the shelf.  Def worth a look. 

Thanks for the review of Others Of My Kind Pontalba i just checked the library catalogue & my local library has a copy so now i'm thinking do i have time to get down there today & grab it before any one else get there  :D

Oh, you are quite welcome, glad you are giving him a go! :)  Hope the library still has it.

A few more books to add to the stacks:

The Cave and the Light by Arthur Herman

The Hidden White House by Robert Klara

JFK Conservative by Ira Stoll

Ancient Greece, Everyday Life in the Birthplace of Western Civilization by Robert Garland

Brain Workout Cryptograms

The Cave and the Light by Arthur Herman

The Hidden White House by Robert Klara

JFK Conservative by Ira Stoll

Ancient Greece, Everyday Life in the Birthplace of Western Civilization by Robert Garland

Brain Workout Cryptograms

x

Nice :)! Do you do brain puzzles sometimes! I've got quite a few puzzle books and magazines but I haven't made many of them yet (I've been too tired).

x

Nice :)! Do you do brain puzzles sometimes! I've got quite a few puzzle books and magazines but I haven't made many of them yet (I've been too tired).

No, my husband is the cryptographer in the family.  He is very good at it.  :cool:

With no relationship to any post above, only my finally remembering to post it....

My husband and I recently watched all seasons of The Sopranos.  Loved it.  One of the most wonderful characters was Tony Soprano's mother, Livia.  She was played by Nancy Marchand, a wonderful actress that unfortunately passed away during the show's run.  She had some very, er, expressive mannerisms about her and one of the best, IMO, was this.

The gesture was accompanied by a rather guttural ennhhhhh!

She was an interesting and, when younger, a beautiful woman. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nancy_Marchand

Edited by pontalba

She was great on Lou Grant, too :D

That is where I remembered her from.  Her character was based on Katherine Graham, who was the publisher of the Washington Post.......her family owned it. 

I loved sopranos too, except for the way they just suddenly end it.

I know.  Me too.

There have been some great articles on the ending.  But I think it mostly boils down to the fact the story was told from Tony's POV, and that guy that came in after his daughter is the one that came up behind Tony and shot him.  Hence the going black.  Tony was dead. 

Here's a great blog that talks about the ending.........scroll down a little to "Introduction".  http://masterofsopranos.wordpress.com/the-sopranos-definitive-explanation-of-the-end/

I've wavered between a two and three star rating for Livia: First Lady of Imperial Rome by Anthony A. Barrett. Finally, on account of his exhaustive research I've come down on a three star rating.

Apparently there is not much in the way of hard evidence as to Livia's personality or actions. Barrett makes it very clear that historians Tacitus', Seneca and Suetonius et als are torn, and conflicting in their portrayal of Livia. The former being the most acid and hostile to Livia.

Barrett begins his biography by devoting paragraphs to speaking of Robert Graves' portrayal of Livia in I, Claudius and Claudius the God, including the BBC filming of same. He states (correctly) that Sian Phillips's portrayal of Livia was so strong, it has taken over popular opinion as the "real" Livia. There is a great deal of truth in what he says. However as far as I am concerned, Barrett has done very little to counteract that picture.

He states time after time (ad nauseam) that there is no verifiable proof of Livia being a poisoner as stated in Graves books. Every step of the way though, Barrett backs up the verifiable events as seen in Graves work. There is nothing to counteract those assumptions of being a poisoner. And, I hasten to admit, as far as I can tell, they are assumptions. We have no forensic proof that Livia poisoned the ones she was accused of poisoning in Graves books. As Barrett presents her Livia did in fact, have motive and opportunity to commit those crimes that she has been accused of.

Livia is presented by Barrett as being the epitome of Roman Womanhood, an example to be followed in every way. Loyal, and doing everything possible to support her husband. Let us also remember that Octavian/Augustus ran roughshod over many to become Emperor, and was politically savvy and an opportunist.

From the Preface:
"One of the burdens shouldered by the modern historian is that of correcting false impressions created by the popular media, particularly dangerous when a production is distinguished and the performances brilliant. This process usually involves the thankless task of demonstrating pedantically that, contrary to popular belief, truth is rarely stranger than fiction, and is usually far less exciting."

Barrett seems to have shot himself in the foot in my view, as he doesn't prove anything, and is far too repetitive, and far too (his word) pedantic.

In fact, as far as I am concerned, methinks the historian doth protest too much.

The other day I posted on the film thread that we'd gone to see The Counselor.  Directed by Ridley Scott and screenplay written by Cormac McCarthy.  We loved the film, although "love" in that context is probably the last thing to think of.  It's an intense, scary movie with intense and very scary characters.  Crooked lawyer, innocent girl, Mexican drug cartel, rip off artist(s).  Everyone is conning everyone, and the last con is not totally apparent till the last of the film.  Fantastic actors.  Amazing direction, and the writing!  The writing!

Anyhow, I'm posting about this here because I just read a wonderful article, an interview with Ridley Scott in the New York Times.  It's informative and laugh out loud funny.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/27/magazine/ridley-scott-most-novelists-are-desperate-to-do-what-i-do.html?nl=todaysheadlines&emc=edit_th_20131027&_r=0

I like Scott even more after reading it. :D

An American Spy by Olen Steinhauer 4/5

Dithering between a three and four star rating....came down on four. Just because of Steinhauer's amazing talent for dragging the reader along even through iffy parts.

The story is, in some ways a typical spy, cross, double-cross, unknown quantities, and other ways quite extraordinary. Steinhauer constructs his stories in a sort of stacked manner, and shifts perspective and adjusts the timeline so that finally at the end the reader has the entire picture of "what really happened". Even if all the participants of the story are not fully in the loop. I'm not exactly sure what to make of that, whether or not I fully agree with that style. It is, however, interesting.

I haven't read all of the "Tourist" stories to date, and I am certainly moved to do so. I'd recommend Steinhauer to anyone that loves a twisty spy story, with perhaps a bit of an untypical ending, and complicated characters.