pontalba's 2013 reading list

pontalba

In the middle? But that is so restricting. I do not own a wide bed and am not single just so I could restrict myself to the middle :D I don't like sleeping or even reading on my back, I only like sleeping and reading on my side. So when I change sides, I like it that I don't have to do it awkwardly, shifting myself around in this one spot of the bed, I like it that I can hurl myself over the bed to the other side, in a perfect semi-circle :D

x

Wait, do you mean that your bed is small and you're not single? I thought you were single (after not working out things with the one guy).. now I'm confused! :blush:

• Replies 551
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Frankie

I was wondering the same question . If you were single and are the only one in your bed, you can flip around whatever way you want . I've fallen asleep reading my Kindle and dropped it with no ill effects, but always keep it in the case I bought for it, so it has some protection. Maybe you could lay a couple pillows or blankets on the floor in the top area of your bed so if it'd fall, it'll land on a soft spot .

Sounds like if someone was to acquire a Kindle, that would be one of the places where to look... :cool:

In the middle? But that is so restricting. I do not own a wide bed and am not single just so I could restrict myself to the middle :D I don't like sleeping or even reading on my back, I only like sleeping and reading on my side. So when I change sides, I like it that I don't have to do it awkwardly, shifting myself around in this one spot of the bed, I like it that I can hurl myself over the bed to the other side, in a perfect semi-circle :D

I sometimes put my book under the pillow, do you think the Kindle would like it :hide:

:rolol:   Yes, kindle loves to be under a pillow.  Keeps it warm and cozy.  

King size bed is much easier. :)

x

I've checked, apparently I own 225 Kindle books and 21 Ebooks (bought from HumbleBundle). Of these 109 were free. Most of the purchased ones were on sale (though less cheap than your prices since I often have to pay extra, being in the Netherlands). A few were normally priced (but cheaper than the paper book).

x x

I wish you both the best of luck, Julie. I really hope he gets the job!

That is still a good percentage Athena.  Ahh, so you do have to pay extra overseas...not fair!

Frankie

I was wondering the same question . If you were single and are the only one in your bed, you can flip around whatever way you want . I've fallen asleep reading my Kindle and dropped it with no ill effects, but always keep it in the case I bought for it, so it has some protection. Maybe you could lay a couple pillows or blankets on the floor in the top area of your bed so if it'd fall, it'll land on a soft spot .

Good idea Julie! 

Going off topic, is there room for the 6 cats on there at night ? ;)

LOL  Well, two do at any rate.  I have the cats sort of divided up, due to their history.  The three calicos were originally outdoor cats, not loose, but in a sort of large cat barn.  When the hurricane came along, they came in the house, but separate as they didn't like the indoor cats.  (we had more cats then) I never had the roof (storm) damage of the cat barn fixed, so they stayed indoors, in a separate gallery/room.  The room is quite large and airy with lots of jalousie windows. They still don't like the other cats, so they have their own little world on the gallery.  The 6th cat is our old lady cat, 20 years old, and quite frail, but still argumentative and feisty, so she has to be kept away from the other two...Goldy and Twinkletoes.   Her name, aptly enough is Tuffy and she has her own room.....really it's the television/exercise room with a couch, but she considers it her own.  :) 

I used to have dogs as well, but the last one died about 4 years ago, and really, the cats are enough to keep us busy.  Not only that, it's easier on us travelling wise with just cats.  When we go out of town, a lady I trust comes in and feeds and pets them up for us.  Conveniently, she works for our vet, so if something comes up, she can take care of it. 

Long answer to a short question.  :cat:

LOL  Well, two do at any rate.  I have the cats sort of divided up, due to their history.  The three calicos were originally outdoor cats, not loose, but in a sort of large cat barn.  When the hurricane came along, they came in the house, but separate as they didn't like the indoor cats.  (we had more cats then) I never had the roof (storm) damage of the cat barn fixed, so they stayed indoors, in a separate gallery/room.  The room is quite large and airy with lots of jalousie windows. They still don't like the other cats, so they have their own little world on the gallery.  The 6th cat is our old lady cat, 20 years old, and quite frail, but still argumentative and feisty, so she has to be kept away from the other two...Goldy and Twinkletoes.   Her name, aptly enough is Tuffy and she has her own room.....really it's the television/exercise room with a couch, but she considers it her own.  :)

I used to have dogs as well, but the last one died about 4 years ago, and really, the cats are enough to keep us busy.  Not only that, it's easier on us travelling wise with just cats.  When we go out of town, a lady I trust comes in and feeds and pets them up for us.  Conveniently, she works for our vet, so if something comes up, she can take care of it. 

Long answer to a short question.  :cat:

No, it was lovely to get all the kitty info. :D

I had to look up `jalousie` ; I see it`s similar to louvre windows, which I`m familiar with. I lived in Hong Kong as a teenager, and we had those on the bathrooms. :smile:

Oh, and Xiao-Xiao just spent her first night alone in the sitting-room, having reached `trustee` status. I`m pleased to report that the curtains are all in one piece. :smile:

Ellen Ullman's Close to the Machine: Technophilia and its Discontents  is autobiographical, yet is written in a erudite, breezy style that comes off the page as though she is actually sitting there, on the couch with the reader, who just happens to be her best friend. I'd almost say stream of consciousness. Her manner is personable and although much of the information given is technical, it does not come across as technobabble. The author does not wear her brilliance on her sleeve, she glows from within without burning.

She makes us feel the adrenalin rush of overcoming technical problems she has faced, and gives us an understanding of the tightknit world of programmers. We learn of her life path, her love for family along with her frustration with same. We learn of her reaching middle age and the fear obsolescence in her chosen field. Then the overcoming of both the fear and the obsolescence.

I've read one of her works of fiction, By Blood, which exhibits the same 'pull you in and along' sort of prose. Completely different, naturally, but just as compelling.

Highly Recommended.  5/5

We've mucked around New Orleans the last several days, and of course we visited some book shops.  One is a second hand shop in the French Quarter, Beckham's Books.  Wonderful place, and we've only managed the first floor......so far.  Well, the last time we only had a little while to browse.  Phooey.

Anyhow, some of the following were purchased there, a couple are Amazon, and a couple are from Barnes & Noble.

Talking It Over by Julian Barnes

Gielgud An Actor and His Time, A Memoir

501 Must - See Movies

Red Rabbit by Tom Clancy

Fellow Travelers by Thomas Mallon

Parkland by Vincent Bugliosi (same as the new film out)

The Mammoth Book of Time Travel edited by Mike Ashley

George, An Autobiobraphy by Emlyn Williams (

A Streetcar Named Desire by Tennessee Williams

When Blanche Met Brando (The Scandalous Story of "A Streetcar Named Desire")by Sam Staggs

I shall be adding this to my wishlist as I do like Bulgiosi. He's also written a book called Four Days in November: The Assassination of President JFK. Do you know if this is the same book, but re-titled for the movie?

Nice haul :)!

Thanks! :)

I shall be adding this to my wishlist as I do like Bulgiosi. He's also written a book called Four Days in November: The Assassination of President JFK. Do you know if this is the same book, but re-titled for the movie?

I'm not a hundred percent sure.  I do know that Parkland is taken from, or part of his Reclaiming History.  As is the one you mention. 

I haven't read anything else by him, so I'm glad to hear you've liked him.   Thanks. :)

Frankie

That's a good idea, thanks :giggle2:

:rolol:   Yes, kindle loves to be under a pillow.  Keeps it warm and cozy. 

But might I somehow harm the eReader? Probably not. I don't have that sharp a head :D

Ellen Ullman's Close to the Machine: Technophilia and its Discontents  is autobiographical, yet is written in a erudite, breezy style that comes off the page as though she is actually sitting there, on the couch with the reader, who just happens to be her best friend. I'd almost say stream of consciousness. Her manner is personable and although much of the information given is technical, it does not come across as technobabble. The author does not wear her brilliance on her sleeve, she glows from within without burning.

I had to google Ellen Ullman, I didn't know who she is.

This is off-topic, but Ellen Ullman reminded me of Lillian Hellman (because of the l's and man's). Do you know her, have you read any of her books? I find her an interesting person. I know of Children's Hour from Gilmore Girls, and I once wikied Hellman and she seemed like a controversial person. She had fighting words with another author, but I can't now recall who.

We've mucked around New Orleans the last several days, and of course we visited some book shops.  One is a second hand shop in the French Quarter, Beckham's Books.  Wonderful place, and we've only managed the first floor......so far.  Well, the last time we only had a little while to browse.  Phooey.

Anyhow, some of the following were purchased there, a couple are Amazon, and a couple are from Barnes & Noble.

Talking It Over by Julian Barnes

Gielgud An Actor and His Time, A Memoir

501 Must - See Movies

Red Rabbit by Tom Clancy

Fellow Travelers by Thomas Mallon

The Mammoth Book of Time Travel edited by Mike Ashley

George, An Autobiobraphy by Emlyn Williams (

A Streetcar Named Desire by Tennessee Williams

When Blanche Met Brando (The Scandalous Story of "A Streetcar Named Desire")by Sam Staggs

Great haul! :) I've wanted to read A Streetcar Named Desire for a while now (I think it's on the Rory Gilmore reading challenge, that's how I know about it). I'll be looking forward to your review on it :)

I'm not a hundred percent sure.  I do know that Parkland is taken from, or part of his Reclaiming History.  As is the one you mention. 

I haven't read anything else by him, so I'm glad to hear you've liked him.   Thanks. :)

I don't know if you knew, but Bugliosi was the one prosecuting Charles Manson, and he's written a book on the case, too. I've read it and if you like true crime, I would recommend the book :) It's called Helter Skelter.

That's a good idea, thanks :giggle2:

But might I somehow harm the eReader? Probably not. I don't have that sharp a head :D

I had to google Ellen Ullman, I didn't know who she is.

This is off-topic, but Ellen Ullman reminded me of Lillian Hellman (because of the l's and man's). Do you know her, have you read any of her books? I find her an interesting person. I know of Children's Hour from Gilmore Girls, and I once wikied Hellman and she seemed like a controversial person. She had fighting words with another author, but I can't now recall who.

Great haul! :) I've wanted to read A Streetcar Named Desire for a while now (I think it's on the Rory Gilmore reading challenge, that's how I know about it). I'll be looking forward to your review on it :)

I don't know if you knew, but Bugliosi was the one prosecuting Charles Manson, and he's written a book on the case, too. I've read it and if you like true crime, I would recommend the book :) It's called Helter Skelter.

I'd never heard of Ullman either.  Somehow, the book By Blood ended up on my bookcase.  I happened to see it in passing and was debating about what to read.  I nonchalantly picked it up and couldn't put it down. :D   Truth be told, I truly don't remember buying it.  :blush2:   Anyhow, I had it listed on  my 'currently reading' list on GR and a friend there, Larry, recommended Close to the Machine by EU to me.  I read it and raved, husband read it and raved and now husband is reading another one by her, The Bug.  If you search on Amazon (US) you'll see scads of scientific essays she has written both alone and in conjunction with other software scientists. 

And, no, I haven't read any Lillian Hellman.  Yet.  She had a longtime affair with Dashiell Hammett.  I have the book, http://www.amazon.com/Lillian-Dash-Sam-Toperoff/dp/1590515684/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1380993153&sr=1-1&keywords=lillian+and+dash in the stack right now.

Re Helter Skelter, no, I haven't read it.  Don't want to.  Mostly because I remember exactly when it happened, and all I can think about is poor Sharon Tate's fate.  No, can't do it. :(

Aw, new books - hubba hubba. ;)

I`ve only read books from Tom Clancy on your list. :smile:

LOL at hubba hubba!   Yeah, I like Clancy.  Can't believe he died so young.  Well, young to me at any rate.  heh

:D

Books should be drooled over more often, imo. ;) Lovely booksies. toomuchtv.gifwub.gif

Absolutely, definitely! 

And thank you, thank you very much!  (Elvis intonation) :giggle:

Edited by pontalba

:D

Books should be drooled over more often, imo. ;) Lovely booksies. toomuchtv.gifwub.gif

Yes!! They need to be drooled over. :yes:  Then you can lick them, and not settle for only sniffing them :giggle: (Poppyshake can teach you about licking books if you are not yet into it :D)

I'd never heard of Ullman either.  Somehow, the book By Blood ended up on my bookcase.  I happened to see it in passing and was debating about what to read.  I nonchalantly picked it up and couldn't put it down. :D   Truth be told, I truly don't remember buying it.  :blush2:   Anyhow, I had it listed on  my 'currently reading' list on GR and a friend there, Larry, recommended Close to the Machine by EU to me.  I read it and raved, husband read it and raved and now husband is reading another one by her, The Bug.  If you search on Amazon (US) you'll see scads of scientific essays she has written both alone and in conjunction with other software scientists. 

I love it that you can't even remember acquiring the copy, then see it in passing, pick it up and can't put it down :D That's book magic! :smile2:

And then it led to other books by her... And then you could share it with Charles. Another book magic! :D

And, no, I haven't read any Lillian Hellman.  Yet.  She had a longtime affair with Dashiell Hammett.  I have the book, http://www.amazon.com/Lillian-Dash-Sam-Toperoff/dp/1590515684/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1380993153&sr=1-1&keywords=lillian+and+dash in the stack right now.

Oh, thanks for that! I'd forgotten she was with Hammett. I took a look at the book in the link and it's so going on my wishlist :D Thanks!!

Re Helter Skelter, no, I haven't read it.  Don't want to.  Mostly because I remember exactly when it happened, and all I can think about is poor Sharon Tate's fate.  No, can't do it. :(

That's alright, I'm sorry I brought it up :empathy:  It was a terrible, terrible thing. Very disturbing. Poor Sharon Tate indeed. :(

And thank you, thank you very much!  (Elvis intonation) :giggle:

:lol:

I wavered between a three and four star review, finally giving credit where credit is due to Ken Follett for so hitting all the marks. Eye of the Needle could have been a run of the mill, ordinary sort of WWII good guys against the bad guys. But instead Follett gave nuance of the characters, none were 100% evil, none 100% good.

A Great Deception, upon which the fate of the Normandy Invasion hangs. A grand chase by a determined Scotland Yard detective through England and Scotland. A brilliant mind plotting to stop a cold and calculating assassin, a deep cover spy that can expose the Deception to the enemy. The obligatory beautiful but desperately unhappy woman caught in the vice grip of loneliness. Follett brings all these characters along with wonderful snapshots of ordinary citizens doing their bit in wartime England to vivid life. The exciting climax is reached during a terrible storm in the North Sea, on a tiny, rocky island.

This is one of Follett's best.
Recommended.

Addendum: Probably most of the Brits here know about Operation Fortitude during WWII, this story uses Operation Fortitude to create a "what If" scenario.  Here is a link to the wiki article for the book, it discusses the Operation a bit.   Let me say this.  If you've read the book already, ok, go ahead and click the link.  It is, as all wiki articles, quite spoilery however.  Here is the relevant quote regarding the Operation for those that don't know it.   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eye_of_the_Needle    SPOILERS

Operation Fortitude was an Allied counter-intelligence operation run during World War II. Its goal was to convince the German military that D-Day landings were to occur at Calais and not Normandy. As a part of Fortitude the fictitious First United States Army Group (FUSAG) was created. FUSAG used fake tanks, buildings and radio traffic to create an illusion of an army being formed to land at Calais.

I have just finished reading, in one huge gulp, A Streetcar Named Desire by Tennessee Williams. 5+/5

One of the most hard hitting, moving, and intense dramas I've ever read.  Blanche DuBois, fragile and barely hanging onto sanity by a finger hold. Her sister Stella who left Blanche to deal with dying relatives in a run down plantation about to be foreclosed.  Stanley, the low life married to Stella.  Mitch the would be suitor.  They all explode onto the stage and not all survive.  The setting, a rather seedy apartment in post war New Orleans.

I suppose everyone knows the basic story.  No need to relate it again, or allude.  I want to try to impart the intensity and passion that Williams puts on the page.  It staggers the reader, rendering the reader dumbstruck, unable to focus.  The brutality, the violence washes over the reader in waves.  The play reeks of betrayal.

Read it!