pontalba's 2013 reading list

pontalba

Now, I'm wondering what I'll miss in the older version, and when the 30 year one will come out over here.  oy  I'd get that on kindle. 

I don't think there's anything extra in it, apart from an author's note at the end.  They have corrected all the scanning errors, though, and I haven't encountered any of the 'Americanisms' in the dialogue that people were complaining about  - and I've only got about 140 pages left to go, so I'm assuming I would have encountered them by now, as the second half of the original Kindle edition was supposed to be riddled with both.  Oh, she keeps spelling 'visor' as 'vizor' on occasion, but not every time, which is odd.  That's about it, really :shrug:

• Replies 551
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't think there's anything extra in it, apart from an author's note at the end.  They have corrected all the scanning errors, though, and I haven't encountered any of the 'Americanisms' in the dialogue that people were complaining about  - and I've only got about 140 pages left to go, so I'm assuming I would have encountered them by now, as the second half of the original Kindle edition was supposed to be riddled with both.  Oh, she keeps spelling 'visor' as 'vizor' on occasion, but not every time, which is odd.  That's about it, really :shrug:

Thanks so much for that Steve!  :D

By Blood by Ellen Ullman  5/5

A fascinating human study on so many levels. The narrator, a disgraced professor, flees to San Francisco, trying to put some form back into his life. We only receive dribs and drabs of reasons for his disgrace throughout the novel, but it is of a stalking nature. He rents an office space in a rather run down section of town, that turns out to be next-door to a psychotherapist's office. With paper thin walls our narrator is able to hear every word that is said in the adjoining office.

Thus begins the patient's story, we are not told names, we read neither the narrator's name, nor the patients. For good reason. This is a story of identity, how we as humans obtain our identity, it's source, how we can claim our own version of life. Whether we choose to take the path of least resistance, or not.

Ullman has an almost Nabokovian way of leading the reader to relish our unsavory narrator's actions. To sympathize, even empathize with his struggles against his worse self, and a struggle it is, no doubt about it. His victories against his demons are actually stupendous, his defeats equally horrendous. Ullman describes in detail a man in agony, and despair.

The author's physical descriptions of the office building's architecture, the very changeable weather of San Francisco are all rendered in a painterly, emotive style. The novel takes place in the mid 1970's, so many of the political events of the time are woven into the tale. The fall of Saigon, Patty Hurst's kidnapping and finally her arrest. We vividly feel the times, and they are disruptive, colorful and frankly, scary as hell.

Highly Recommended.

I'm definitely looking for more of Ullman's books!

By Blood sounds very interesting. I have added it to my wishlist.

Sounds like a really good book ! I think you sold 2 of us on it already :)

Great, glad to hear it!  I've ordered two more of her books from Amazon, so I hope she holds up.  I think she will. :readingtwo:

Make that a fourth! :D

A fourth that has also accidentally on purpose clicked 'buy now' for my kindle. Oops! ;)

^ Terrible when that happens, isn't it? :giggle2:

:P   Amazing how those little buggers manage to wend their way into our Kindles!  :angel_not:

Edited by pontalba

I think my Kindle is the most dangerous item I own . Dangerous to the pocketbook . WAY too easy to hear of a good book ,make one click ,and there it is on your Kindle .

The dangerous part comes next month when the charge card bill shows up in the mailbox. All those "little clicks" turn into one BIG bill .

So it's really good but also really bad . :):(

I think my Kindle is the most dangerous item I own . Dangerous to the pocketbook . WAY too easy to hear of a good book ,make one click ,and there it is on your Kindle .

The dangerous part comes next month when the charge card bill shows up in the mailbox. All those "little clicks" turn into one BIG bill .

I've already bought five books on my kindle - only one has been read so far... i think a kindle may have been a bad idea for my wallet for the same reason :giggle2:

x

I fully agree! The past while I'm trying to buy a bit less Kindle books, because it does all add up (and I do prefer paperbacks for most genres, if available).

I checked my Amazon account and I have 270 books on my kindle.  Most of them were of the .99, 1.99, 2.99 USD variety (and some free), but for a handful.  And they were e-books of hardcovers I have that were just too darned heavy to carry.  I haven't listed them in my Library Thing account...too much trouble.  :blush2:  :giggle2:

Danger Will Robinson!  Danger!!

I checked my Amazon account and I have 270 books on my kindle.  Most of them were of the .99, 1.99, 2.99 USD variety (and some free), but for a handful.  And they were e-books of hardcovers I have that were just too darned heavy to carry.  I haven't listed them in my Library Thing account...too much trouble.  :blush2:  :giggle2:

I REALLY don't want to look at my purchases for my Kindle. Let's just say it'd probably be WAY up there in the several hundred dollar amounts .  :lurker:

Oh thanks ! My Favorite TV show when I was a kid :)

I loved it too!

I REALLY don't want to look at my purchases for my Kindle. Let's just say it'd probably be WAY up there in the several hundred dollar amounts .  :lurker:

Sometimes it is better not to know! :hide:

Yea, I keep telling myself that I need to stock up on books now while the Hubster still has his job. Once that's over ,the book buying will be put on hold for a bit until he can get something new lined up . We're holding our breath on the City job..They have to bring it before Council within the next week or so to see if they will approve it .Our council is known to vote down almost everything ,so we're not leaning heavily on it passing ,but we're still hoping . If they pass it, the job is his . If not, then he will start applying elsewhere in November .

The Last Life by Claire Messud.....an older Messud, but for 5 USD, including shipping, I couldn't turn it down.  It's a very nice hardback.  I want to read her The Woman Upstairs that Nursenblack reviewed a bout a week ago, and, incidentally didn't like. :)  But the review interested me in Messud, so I decided to try an older one first. :)

Coincidentally I was reading through nursenblack's log yesterday and came across her review on The Woman Upstairs again, and remembered how you and I both read her review, but I was hesitant to read the book even though the blurb sounded interesting, and you wanted to go straight for it :D I will be interested in hearing how you liked The Last Life :)

Lovely new books. :D

I see you got the `boy` version of Sunne in Splendour. ;)

:lol:

Nah that's still the wrong one (for me)  :giggle2:  this is the one I thought I was getting:

attachicon.gifThe Sunne in Splendour US.jpg

Okay, so pontalba got the boy version and Steve got the girl version... :giggle2::lol: There is balance in the world after all! *phew*

You can sniff a good bargain Kindle book, can't you :D I think it's pretty clever to get those heavy hardbacks on Kindle versions. Bloody hell. I once tried my friends iPad, she put a book on it, and I tilted, and pretended I was in bed, and it was pretty comfortable. But then again, if I sometimes fall asleep while reading a book and drop the book on the floor, it doesn't cost as much to replace it than to replace the Kindle... does it :blush:

Edited by frankie

Yea, I keep telling myself that I need to stock up on books now while the Hubster still has his job. Once that's over ,the book buying will be put on hold for a bit until he can get something new lined up . We're holding our breath on the City job..They have to bring it before Council within the next week or so to see if they will approve it .Our council is known to vote down almost everything ,so we're not leaning heavily on it passing ,but we're still hoping . If they pass it, the job is his . If not, then he will start applying elsewhere in November .

Good idea!  Oh, boy, I hope they pass it!!  /all fingers and toes crossed!/

Coincidentally I was reading through nursenblack's log yesterday and came across her review on The Woman Upstairs again, and remembered how you and I both read her review, but I was hesitant to read the book even though the blurb sounded interesting, and you wanted to go straight for it :D I will be interested in hearing how you liked The Last Life :)

Okay, so pontalba got the boy version and Steve got the girl version... :giggle2::lol: There is balance in the world after all! *phew*

You can sniff a good bargain Kindle book, can't you :D I think it's pretty clever to get those heavy hardbacks on Kindle versions. Bloody hell. I once tried my friends iPad, she put a book on it, and I tilted, and pretended I was in bed, and it was pretty comfortable. But then again, if I sometimes fall asleep while reading a book and drop the book on the floor, it doesn't cost as much to replace it than to replace the Kindle... does it :blush:

LOL re girl/boy versions.... :P

I usually keep an eye out on their specials and freebies.  I've been surprised at the quality of Amazon's sales sometimes.

re the e-reader....ya hafta get in the middle of the bed frankie!!    And, really, I believe the kindles are pretty sturdy, you have to have a case, and it pads falls.  I haven't dropped it yet.  :hide:

I usually keep an eye out on their specials and freebies.  I've been surprised at the quality of Amazon's sales sometimes.

Sounds like if someone was to acquire a Kindle, that would be one of the places where to look... :cool:

re the e-reader....ya hafta get in the middle of the bed frankie!!    And, really, I believe the kindles are pretty sturdy, you have to have a case, and it pads falls.  I haven't dropped it yet.  :hide:

In the middle? But that is so restricting. I do not own a wide bed and am not single just so I could restrict myself to the middle :D I don't like sleeping or even reading on my back, I only like sleeping and reading on my side. So when I change sides, I like it that I don't have to do it awkwardly, shifting myself around in this one spot of the bed, I like it that I can hurl myself over the bed to the other side, in a perfect semi-circle :D

I sometimes put my book under the pillow, do you think the Kindle would like it :hide:

Edited by frankie

x

I've checked, apparently I own 225 Kindle books and 21 Ebooks (bought from HumbleBundle). Of these 109 were free. Most of the purchased ones were on sale (though less cheap than your prices since I often have to pay extra, being in the Netherlands). A few were normally priced (but cheaper than the paper book).

x

I wish you both the best of luck, Julie. I really hope he gets the job!