Athena's Reading List 2013

Athena

Carry Slee - Afblijven (Film Editie) (re-read)

7739292.jpg

Genre: Young-Adult, Contemporary fiction

Format: Hardcover

Pages: 158

Synopsis (me): Melissa is very happy when she hears she gets to dance in a music video of an artist. Jordi, one of her best friends, is also excited. But then she becomes nervous for it and someone offers her drugs..

My thoughts: I recently bought this book, because I remembered liking the story when I was a child and teenager. I didn't mind the film cover too much (though most of the time I prefer the original cover), but it says on the back the book's been rewritten to fit in with the film, and this I'm not so fond of. Since the book came with the film when I bought it, and the DVD was at the back of the book, they were both in plastic, I couldn't read this bit of information and so I'm not sure if I would've bought it had I known. More on that later. I picked it because I wanted to re-read it and see how it holds up today for an adult, it's a short book so I thought it'd be a good choice for the read-a-thon.

I liked the story and the characters. I didn't like it when certain characters lied (to ie. their parents), I understand parents can be strict and they don't need to know everything of course, but some of the lies seemed too much for me. As I explained in one of my previous reviews, I'm all for having an open dialogue, especially if there's danger involved. But some of the lies the characters gave made sense, I could see why they acted the way they did.

I think it's great that a story for young-adults is discussing an issue that's quite important. While reading it as an adult, I found that the sentences and the language use was a bit simplified, and it jarred a bit with trying to discuss a mature issue. When I was reading this as a child and teenager though I didn't think this so it's probably just my age that's showing :P. The book is easy to read (although I would've preferred a paperback, but some YA and children's books here are never released in paperback as far as I know).

One other thing I noticed was that the story contained some 'modern' technology. This makes it tie in with the later produced film, but it jarrs with my memories of reading it back in the 1990s and 2000s (the book was originally published in 1998). Things like mobile phones (might've been in the original), DVDs (weren't in the original), Ipod and MP3 players (weren't in the original). There is mention of video (VHS) as well, so that does make it show its age (which I think is nice since I like reading about the time period of my childhood). These extra elements to tie it in with the film made me be out of the story, because I don't remember them being in the original, in my mind the original was set as contemporary during the 1990s, when the book was published. I did see the film a couple of years ago when it was on the film channel here and I liked it. I have it on DVD now and will watch it sometime. Presumably certain scenes may have been altered, removed or added, in the film edition as well, but I don't remember enough of the original book to notice this.

Since this is a Dutch book that I don't think is translated, I doubt many people here will ever read it. But I wanted to write a review anyway, it might be interesting for me to see what I thought of it, when I read this review again at a later date. I hope you enjoyed reading it, anyway.

Rating: **** (7/10)

• Replies 669
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, you've been busy! :)

Reading your review of the BFG brought back memories of when I used to re-read my Roald Dahl books again . . . and again . . . and again. My favourites were always George's Marvellous Medicine, The Twits and Fantastic Mr Fox. :D  I can see how some of the made-up words in the BFG could be confusing!

I can also see how Hagrid's accent would be confusing in Harry Potter: if you're not familiar with the dialect Rowling is representing it would be a bit of a struggle to figure out how it's supposed to sound (although I suppose it's easier now that the films have been made!)

I read this Harry Potter book in primary school when I was 10 years old. I basically grew up with the series, and I love it to bits, but the Philosopher's Stone holds a special place in my heart. I must have read it about 20 times, and I totally agree with your 10/10 rating. :D

Thanks :)! I don't think I've ever read George's Marvellous Medicine, if it's in the Roald Dahl box set I own, I'll have to read it sometime and see what I think. Great to hear about your experiences with the books :).

Yeah Hagrid's accent confused me. I tried to think of the films because that was the only clear clue I had of how it was supposed to sound. I haven't read the first Harry Potter book quite as often as you have, but I've read it a few times. I look forward to read the series closer together. When I first read Harry Potter, the series hadn't completed yet and so I read the books spread out over a couple of years. I'm glad to hear you like the books too :). I agree, the first one just has special memories attached to it.

It took a bit of time to write all my reviews :giggle2:. I'll get back to reading Stephen King - IT now. I've also started to read Anita Naik - Lekker Makkelijk Gezond Leven (The Lazy Girl's Guide to Good Health) this morning, to kind of read more off my read-a-thon pile.

I've looked at my wishlist and ordered a couple of books for my birthday. My parents will pay me back, but they don't know very well how Amazon works and I like to pick things myself anyway to be honest. I don't mind knowing part of what I'll be getting for my birthday, that way I know I'll like it and I won't feel too stressed about it. I'm usually stressed about what I'm getting (and about how it'll go and who's visiting when), and what if I don't like it, I find it difficult to deal with that. So knowing part of my gifts really helps me feeling a bit less stressed about it. I think frankie will particularly like one specific book that I'm getting, because she's been urging me to read it :P.

I've looked at my wishlist and ordered a couple of books for my birthday. My parents will pay me back, but they don't know very well how Amazon works and I like to pick things myself anyway to be honest. I don't mind knowing part of what I'll be getting for my birthday, that way I know I'll like it and I won't feel too stressed about it. I'm usually stressed about what I'm getting (and about how it'll go and who's visiting when), and what if I don't like it, I find it difficult to deal with that. So knowing part of my gifts really helps me feeling a bit less stressed about it. I think frankie will particularly like one specific book that I'm getting, because she's been urging me to read it :P.

I know what you mean - I've had a fair few birthdays when I've ended up with stuff I didn't want despite asking specifically for certain things (not to sound ungrateful, but it really is annoying!). I don't mind knowing in advance what presents I'm getting either: I usually just send my mum/husband a link to my wishlist so that nothing can go wrong. :giggle2: Or, I just ask people for money/vouchers so I can go out and buy my own. Last month people mainly gave me money, and I had a great birthday going book shopping in town and online! :D

Michelle Stewart: Declutter Your Life: Reduce Stress, Increase Productivity, and Enjoy Your Clutter-Free Life

16053808.jpg

Genre: Information

Format: Kindle

Pages: ~45

Synopsis (Amazon.com): Michelle Stewart, author of Declutter Your Life, draws on her professional and personal experiences to craft an easy-to-follow book on reducing clutter in all aspects of your life. She shares personal success stories regarding home, office, and mental clutter and talks about how living in a modern culture can lead to anxiety and depression. Declutter Your Life is full of tips for decluttering physically and mentally, and Stewart provides advice that can be implemented with minimal time and money.

Whether the piles of stuff in your dining and bedroom areas are beginning to drive you crazy, or you need to make some changes to your office space, this book can help. If you are tired all the time because you never have a minute to yourself, or racing thoughts about what you need to do the next day are keeping you awake at night, this book can help. From dealing with social situations and managing your calendar, to learning to relax and reduce mental stress, Michelle Stewart walks the reader through actionable steps toward a more organized, low-stress life. With information on how to get the entire family involved in decluttering, this is the perfect manual for living a clutter-free life.

My thoughts: I wanted to read a short Kindle information book, ie. about clutter. This was a free book if I remember it correctly and I downloaded it because I'm interested in reducing some of my clutter.

This book contained some nice tips considering it's only a small ebook. There weren't a lot of new tips compared with two other declutter books I've read, most of the tips I already read in one or two of the other books (of course, if I'd read this one first, it'd be the other way around). They are good tips though and I enjoyed the writing style of this book. It's well written and easy to read. Because of its length I'd personally say one shouldn't pay more for it than a couple of dollars (or whichever currency you buy ebooks in where you live), but since I got it for free, that's not a problem at all. Some of the free books on the Kindle aren't good, ie. often there are spelling mistakes or it looks like it could've done with some editing. Not so here, this book looked very professional. If there were any spelling mistakes at all, there certainly weren't enough for me to make a note of it. As far as free ebooks go, I'm glad I got this one while it was free.

In regards to my clutter, sentimental value is a problem for me. This book (like another one I've read) recommends to take photos of the items, which I think I'll do at some point. I may've written it down before in a review of another clutter book. I also find it difficult to resist a bargain for things even if I don't use them that much (ie. I still have some office supplies leftovers from university that I bought while I was studying but that I didn't need to use much.)

All in all it was a good book, I'm glad I read it. I have one book left about clutter on my Kindle, so will be reading that in a while I think.

Rating: **** (8/10)

Have you read any of the Julie Morganstern books on decluttering ? << That one has quite a decent excerpt. :smile:

Yes .. I'm happy to do this too although mum has got the knack of using Amazon now and refers to my wishlist. I'd much rather choose my own books though than have people worry about it or wing it (:D) .. especially if they are not book lovers themselves. I do like getting book surprises from people that know my book tastes but .. otherwise .. it's nice to be sure isn't it :giggle: 

I am a terrible hoarder :blush2: but I haven't got the space. I can let go of things if I have to but find it hard to throw anything away that a loved one has given me .. I'm not sure that taking a photo of it would help :shrug: 

I know what you mean - I've had a fair few birthdays when I've ended up with stuff I didn't want despite asking specifically for certain things (not to sound ungrateful, but it really is annoying!). I don't mind knowing in advance what presents I'm getting either: I usually just send my mum/husband a link to my wishlist so that nothing can go wrong. :giggle2: Or, I just ask people for money/vouchers so I can go out and buy my own. Last month people mainly gave me money, and I had a great birthday going book shopping in town and online! :D

x

That sounds pretty nice! I've asked my family for money sometimes but they prefer to give me an actual gift, they like that more. Vouchers don't really work because I buy my books mainly from places where you can't use a voucher (Dutch book vouchers only work in certain book shops and not at book fairs etc). I have had vouchers in the past when I still bought all my books at these participating book shops (before we moved house).

Have you read any of the Julie Morganstern books on decluttering ? << That one has quite a decent excerpt. :smile:

x

I haven't. It sounds interesting, do you know if it's any good? I read some reviews, but as usually, some people liked it and others didn't.

Yes .. I'm happy to do this too although mum has got the knack of using Amazon now and refers to my wishlist. I'd much rather choose my own books though than have people worry about it or wing it ( :D) .. especially if they are not book lovers themselves. I do like getting book surprises from people that know my book tastes but .. otherwise .. it's nice to be sure isn't it :giggle: 

I am a terrible hoarder :blush2: but I haven't got the space. I can let go of things if I have to but find it hard to throw anything away that a loved one has given me .. I'm not sure that taking a photo of it would help :shrug: 

x

That makes sense! Great to hear how you and Laura do things with your birthdays :).

I do like getting books from people who know my tastes well, provided I didn't already have the book of course. I've been given doubles before in my life and it always makes me feel very bad, I've also been given books I wasn't really interested in. So I'm most happy if people use my wishlist or if they know me well enough that they know what I want and know what I don't already have.

I can be kind of an hoarder too so I understand. Especially things that loved ones have given me, as well. Even things that have been ie. on my desk for quite some time.. I find it hard to part with it because I believe it brings me luck. I have a lot of things in my room, and I've got quite a few boxes up the attic with my stuff. It's nice to meet a fellow hoarder though :)!

The thing is that I'm afraid at some point in my life I'll have a lot less space so I'm going to have to make some choices and it'll be difficult. I really like having my stuff around me. Sometime in the further future I hope to be living together with my boyfriend in a house or apartment.. because we probably won't be earning much money we'll only be able to afford something smallish (I'll not be able to buy much either).. I'm not sure what'll happen with all my stuff, it'll be really difficult not being able to take it all with me but having to get rid of some things. For example, I'll probably have to get rid of some books as well as the many other things that I have. It's difficult because our library doesn't have much English books so there isn't really any good way for me to read these books other than buying them. Thinking of money issues and space issues makes me feel down.. gladly for now I'm living here so atm I don't have to worry much. I like to read about decluttering mainly because I hope that if I maybe already get rid of a few things, it'll be easier in the long run. It's not that I can't find anything, most of my things have a specific spot where I can find them. (EDIT: Hope this didn't sound too depressing for anyone!)

Edited by Athena

Athena

I'm just the opposite of a hoarder. I don't even know what the word would be for a person like me, but I HATE clutter, and hate having junk around that I don't use daily . It comes in handy at times because everything is in its place, we don't have too much STUFF stacked around ,only what we need and use .

The times it ISN'T so great is when I get rid of an item that I go looking for. For example, the last 3 years, I have had to go buy a new turkey baster ,since I usually only make turkey twice a year on the big holidays ,so the turkey baster is clutter the rest of the year ,since it's never used .

So sometimes people like me have a problem with DECLUTTERING too frequently .

Wow, I don't know a lot of people like that, julie :). Isn't it awkward to go out and buy a new turkey baster every time (or are they cheap)? It's great to hear how other people feel about clutter, I think it's nice that there's different options on it and how people feel. What about decorations, things that have as a function solely to make the room look nice? Are you minimalistic or do you like to have a little something at certain places in a room (ie. flowers on the coffee table or figures on a desk)?

Athena

Turkey basters are really cheap ( a couple bucks) ,so no big deal to re-purchase them .although I now have TWO in my kitchen drawer ,so I wont have to buy one this year.  :)

As for decorative items, yes, I don't mind them, in fact I like searching for items that would go with the main colors in each room ,so the decorative stuff is ok if kept to a minimum . I wouldn't like a whole shelf filled with knick-knacks ..WAY too much clutter, but to have a decoration sitting on an end table, or picture on the wall, those are ok .

I suppose I make a trip to the thrift store at least once a month to drop off items . I sometimes get tired of the same things sitting around,so I unload them, but usually find an item to replace it .

Very odd ,since I'd say I came from a HOARDING set of parents . Their house was always VERY clean, everything put away, but they had too much STUFF . Why do you need 7 sets of dishes when 2 people live there ? They had sets for 12 of several types of china they never used.  Kitchen items ? Good grief, Gordon Ramsey could have outfitted all his restaurants with the equipment my mother had .

My dad would have several dozen hammers , screwdrivers, saws ,etc .. I think one of each would do the trick .

My dad counted once and he had EIGHTY SEVEN SHIRTS !!!!   WHO needs that many shirts ?

Maybe that's why I HATE clutter ... it bugs me to have too much of anything .

Ah, then it's no big deal if it's cheap. We don't eat turkey much in this country so preparing a big turkey is kind of unknown to us (as far as I know). The supermarkets sell turkey filet but that's about it, and I don't think many people eat that (ie. the choice of chicken, pork and beef is much greater, compared with the one turkey filet packet).

Nice to hear your thoughts on decorations. I like to have some things on my desk (though of course my thermometer is more functional than decoration), though I was planning on thinking about what to have on my desk when I buy a new desk when I move (this one doesn't have enough space for my legs anymore, my parents bought it for me when I was going to secondary school).

Wow, I guess living with your hoarding parents maybe made you want not so much clutter near you (I can imagine that). 87 shirts seems like a whole lot! Did he wear them all or did he usually just wear his favourites? I'm glad the house you grew up in was clean though, that's important.

My parents aren't hoarders, they do have some clutter and they can't always find what they need, but they don't store as many things as I do (per person, averaged over age). It's just me and my difficulty of letting go of sentimental things, mainly. My dad's workshop area is cluttered imo and I can't find things in there, but he can so that's up to him. I don't know what all the different tools are for, I don't think we have many doubles though. We only have a couple of screwdrivers for example, in different sizes. We have our normal set of dishes and we have our Wedgewood dishes that my mum inherited. They're expensive, my mum has displayed them in a cabinet/closet, and we only use them on Christmas, because my mum doesn't want them to break. My parents don't buy a lot of unnecessary things, but what does happen sometimes if that someone dumps their stuff on us because we have more space (ie. an old TV). There might be things up the attic that could probably go, but my parents have a lot of things to do, they're very busy with their jobs (and other things), so it hasn't happened yet. There's also some D-I-Y work around the house and the garden to do but as I said, they're very busy and don't have a lot of time to rest and relax, enjoy their spare time. At the moment when they have some time they work on the bakery, for me and my boyfriend (and of course also for them since it's their house in the end). They watch TV Friday evening and Saturday evening but otherwise they're usually busy doing stuff. Anyway.. sorry for rambling.

My partners mother is a hoarder, it became worse when his father passed away. He hates clutter and is much like you julie.

x

x x

I haven't. It sounds interesting, do you know if it's any good? I read some reviews, but as usually, some people liked it and others didn't.

x x  

I liked it, but I do wonder if all those books just recycle the same tips. There`s plenty about decluttering on the Oprah site, too. :smile:

Oh, sigh.  I'm 5th generation pack rat.  However.  I am the first one that is able to throw stuff out.  I couldn't get rid of much stuff before, my Aunt just couldn't let go of stuff. 

So, now I have the unhappy task of sorting the good from the trash and junk and either throwing away, selling or donating stuff.  I have managed quite a lot of give away and throw away already, but it's been a couple of years since I've tackled the project.  Getting married kind of put the temporary kibosh on it. heh. :D

But I'm working up to getting on with it again. 

The only thing I really hoard is my books - I've never thrown/given a book away in my entire life. :giggle2:

x

I haven't either, only a few double copies (the rest of my double copies I still own). I do plan on getting rid of the double copies and some Dutch translated books I'm no longer interested in. My books will be one of the later things to get rid of though, since I love them so much. Do you have a lot of books?

x

I liked it, but I do wonder if all those books just recycle the same tips. There`s plenty about decluttering on the Oprah site, too. :smile:

x

Maybe most of them do.. I'm not sure. Thanks for the link.

Oh, sigh.  I'm 5th generation pack rat.  However.  I am the first one that is able to throw stuff out.  I couldn't get rid of much stuff before, my Aunt just couldn't let go of stuff. 

So, now I have the unhappy task of sorting the good from the trash and junk and either throwing away, selling or donating stuff.  I have managed quite a lot of give away and throw away already, but it's been a couple of years since I've tackled the project.  Getting married kind of put the temporary kibosh on it. heh. :D

But I'm working up to getting on with it again.

Good luck :)

x

Whenever I have a clearout, I keep coming across old magazine articles I`ve kept about decluttering.... :blush2:

x

:giggle2:.

Anita Naik - Lekker Makkelijk Gezond Leven (The Lazy Girl's Guide to Good Health)

1.jpg

Genre: Information

Format: Paperback

Pages: 256

Synopsis (GoodReads): Lazy girls aren't really lazy, but they are too busy working, playing and generally having a good time to worry about their health. What they need is an instant guide to staying and becoming healthy, but one with a difference: one that is serious but doesn't need to be taken too seriously; one that is practical but doesn't require too much practice; one that doesn't take too long to read, and might fit into a handbag. In a non-medical, authoritative yet entertaining way, this book offers instant workable health solutions such as cures for: hangovers and sex problems; bad skin and PMS; fatigue and depression; diet and sleep problems; and general everyday hassles that get lazy girls down. As well as offering short-term practical solutions, the book provides long-term health pointers in an easy, humorous manner. The Lazy Girl's Guide to Good Health is the essential guide for girls who know they need to improve aspects of their life and health, but, being lazy, don't want to change their lives in any major way.

My thoughts: I bought this book for cheap recently and felt like reading it for the read-a-thon. I didn't get around to read it on the read-a-thon dates so I decided to do so after, I also felt like reading an information book.

This book is written for teenage girls and young-adult women. I'm not entirely in the target group of the book, for example the parts about smoking, drinking and drugs (not medicinal ones), none of which are applicable to me (since I don't do any of those things). Other parts though, for example about food and exercise, I found more interesting. The book contains many things I already knew, but also some new information (though I'm unsure if all of it is correct).

One thing that griped me, was that chocolate was mentioned three or more times throughout the book, but what was said about it was conflicting. The first time chocolate was mentioned the book said it'd be better not to eat it, the other two times it said one piece a day is good for your heart so it's okay to eat one piece now and then. This kind of confused me and makes me wonder if there aren't any more errors in the book.

There were also spelling and translation errors. This book was translated from English and sometimes a word in Dutch was misspelled or they chose the wrong word, in my opinion. It didn't mean I didn't understand what was meant, but I never like to have errors in a book. It happened a few times, not overly much or anything but enough for me to note it in my review.

I liked the layout of the book. Often things were described with bulletpoints or in 'boxes'. It gave the book a clean, more clear look.

Overall I enjoyed reading it but some of the information was more relevant to me than other bits of information.

Rating: **** (7/10)

x

I haven't either, only a few double copies (the rest of my double copies I still own). I do plan on getting rid of the double copies and some Dutch translated books I'm no longer interested in. My books will be one of the later things to get rid of though, since I love them so much. Do you have a lot of books?

Some would say too many; I would say not enough! :giggle2:

I downloaded two free Kindle ebooks and bought three others:

Edgar Allen Poe - Complete Tales & Poems (Illustrated) (free)

Lillian Patterson - How to Quickly and Easily Improve Your Reading Comprehension Skills: Effective Ways For Increased General and Academic Reading Comprehension - For All Ages (free)

Ann M. Martin - The Babysitter's Club Super Special 9: Starring the Babysitter's Club!

Ann M. Martin - The Babysitter's Club Super Special 10: Sea City, Here We Come!

Joe Hill - Heart-Shaped Box

Edited by Athena

I bought the first of the babysitters club books on kindle a while ago and want to read them all in order to relive my childhood but I suspect that will get expensive!!

They were gloriously good though...