Athena's Reading List 2013

Athena

Y'all are tempting me with the newer type Kindles.  :D

I have the one with the keyboard, and like it fine, but more is better....... :lurker:

Yep Kate

They keep on inventing newer gadgets with more bells & whistles ,to tempt us with .

• Replies 669
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've finished reading Susan Hatler - Love At First Date. It was pretty good, entertaining and easy to read. Some of it was predictable but other things were not, which I enjoyed (I don't want everything to be predictable but it's nice and relaxing to have some predictability). The writing style was nice, it's a lot easier to read than The Hobbit (which is written a bit old-fashionedly). What's nice is that this book (Love At First Date) is connected to My Last Blind Date, in the sense that some of the characters overlap. This book was written before My Last Blind Date, I read that first however because I didn't know this at the time. So for recommendations I think it'd be best to read this one first since it's chronologically first and you might spoil bits of it if you read My Last Blind Date first.

Rating: ***** (5/5)

I'm still reading The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien, I'm about half way through. My reading is going a bit slower because I haven't been feeling well and because I'm also spending some time on book sites, among other things.

I finished reading The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien.

For the first half of the book, the old-fashioned writing style bothered me, I could only read it for shorter time periods (I might have this problem with some classic literature too). The second half of the book the writing style bothered me less and I just wanted to know what would happen with the story. The story was really good. It wasn't as epic as Lord of the Rings (which I haven't read yet but I've seen the three films), but that's okay. Not every story needs to be very epic. It was a funny, entertaining story and I wanted to know what would happen next.

Here and there are a few pacing problems, or rather, there are times with lots of action or where lots of things happen and times where less things happen. It's not a big deal, certainly wouldn't put me off reading the book, but I felt I should mention it though.

The story is easy to understand, other than the writing style it is an easy read, it's not very complicated so you can read it even when you're a bit tired (which can be quite nice, in my opinion.).

The characters were quite good too. Some of the dwarves and Bilbo himself were quite funny.

Now and then, the storyteller (who tells you the story) uses fourth wall breaking terms (I think that's what it is). Ie. I told you this before, you know this but Bilbo doesn't (this is not a literal quote in the book, I made it up in my own words). It didn't bother me but I didn't consider it that necessary either. I thought I'd mention it though in case you really like or hate this sort of thing. I don't mind it in some of my books but wouldn't want it in all my books. (sometimes fourth wall breaking stuff is really well done or very funny, in that case I like it (this is mainly in video games, I haven't had it much in books).

I haven't seen the first Hobbit film, so I can't comment on it. I did watch the trailer, and it seems it's maybe one third of the book or something. I've heard they used some of Tolkien's notes to add things to the film. If you'd do just the book, it wouldn't need three films, really. I look forward to see the film eventually when it's out on Bluray etc (personally I'm waiting for the Extended Edition).

Rating: **** (4/5)

Great review, Athena.  I think you've hit the nail on the head with your comments.  Another thing that bugs me, not just with Tolkien but with a lot of older books, is the overuse of exclamation marks, and everyone seems to cry out a lot (as in: "'Wait!' he cried").  It always seems to me, as a result, that the characters spend most of their time shouting  :lol:

Athena

Good review of The Hobbit. I MIGHT be the only person on the planet who hasn't read or even seen the movie of the Hobbit/Lord of the Rings. I'm not sure why ... I might like them a lot .I have had people tell me that it's their all time favorite book,so it's gotta be good. I even started The Hobbit before,but just didnt get very far. Maybe not in the right mood ?

Not sure,but someday I'll give it another shot .It IS hard to go from the Classics way of writing to a modern book . You kinda have to set your brain at a different level until you get into the story . The old fashioned words, their way of telling the story takes some getting use to ,but once you do, it's fine.  :)

I know I've posted links to this before, but you might find my review of The Hobbit amusing!

Thanks, that's very nicely written :)!

Athena

Good review of The Hobbit. I MIGHT be the only person on the planet who hasn't read or even seen the movie of the Hobbit/Lord of the Rings. I'm not sure why ... I might like them a lot .I have had people tell me that it's their all time favorite book,so it's gotta be good. I even started The Hobbit before,but just didnt get very far. Maybe not in the right mood ?

Not sure,but someday I'll give it another shot .It IS hard to go from the Classics way of writing to a modern book . You kinda have to set your brain at a different level until you get into the story . The old fashioned words, their way of telling the story takes some getting use to ,but once you do, it's fine.  :)

Thanks. Maybe one day you'll pick up the book again. I think you're right about classics. I hadn't really thought of it a lot (I don't read them as much as I think I should, really), but I think you're right.

Good review, glad you liked it. It helps to keep in mind that Tolkien original wrote it as a bed-time story solely for his children, I think this is where the addressing the audience comes from. It is a bit old fashioned but it's not as bad as some, he was a literature Professor at Oxford after all.

I have read it a few times now and really enjoy it.

Another thing that bugs me, not just with Tolkien but with a lot of older books, is the overuse of exclamation marks, and everyone seems to cry out a lot (as in: "'Wait!' he cried").  It always seems to me, as a result, that the characters spend most of their time shouting  :lol:

Wow, really!!! i hadn't noticed that at all. Gosh!!! i say why have one exclamation mark when you can use three  ;)  

I have read it a few times now and really enjoy it.

I re read it last year & enjoyed it just as much as the first time i found there was lots of things i'd forgotten about the story.

Glad you liked it Athena despite the writing style  :smile:

Wow, really!!! i hadn't noticed that at all. Gosh!!! i say why have one exclamation mark when you can use three  ;)  

:lol:

'Go and sit on the naughty step - NOW!!!' he cried.

:giggle2:

:giggle2:

I've read a Kindle book (until I could decide which paperback to read, but now I'll have to decide since I finished it), Susan Hatler - The Boyfriend Bylaws. Again a short book, that's chick-lit ish / romance ish and easy to read. It's similar to the other books by her I've read, of course the characters are different from her other books (I thought having the main character be a gym class teacher was different), but it's a little bit predictable (which doesn't have to be a bad thing necessarily). I enjoyed the book but it's not one that I'll remember much about a few years from now (I think).

Rating: **** (4/5)

I'm not sure yet what to read next, got several on the pile but I'm not sure what kind of book I feel like reading.

Athena

Nah.  Not the only one.  Me too. :)

Thanks for a great review of The Hobbit.  I bought this on a whim a while ago, and have been wondering whether I want to give it a try or not.  Your thoughts have encouraged me to pick it up :)

You're welcome :). I hope you enjoy it too!

EDIT:

I've finished reading an information book about stress on the Kindle. Maddie Alexander - Stress Management: The Ultimate Guide to Getting Rid of Stress and Anxiety! was a Kindle freebie. I thought it could be a lot more detailed.

Rating: *** (3/5)

Recently I also read Stan Spencer - The Diet Dropout's Guide to Natural Weight Loss: Find Your Easiest Path to Naturally Thin (I forgot to post about it XD), which I found had more useful tips against stress (for me). This was also a Kindle freebie and was really good. It contains lots of tips on how to lose weight naturally, not by following a specific diet but by ie. eating less and exercising more. This is kind of what I've been trying to do the past while. It also contains tips for when you have a craving or for emotional eating etc (and also tips for stress). I quite liked the writing style, it's really motivated me to lose more weight and eat healthier.

Rating: ***** (5/5).

Edited by Athena

Kate

I'm glad to know I'm not the only person yet to read LOTR -- I have one other person with me anyhow.  :)

Athena

It sounds like you have found some interesting self help kindle books. Oddly, I've never read a self -help book. Not sure why. I guess I just bumble through life trying to figure stuff out on my own .

The diet one is definitely true : You don't need to starve yourself to lose weight. You can eat a well balanced meal every meal.It's all in the portion size .

The Hubster did exactly that a couple years ago. He ate everything he normally would, only smaller amounts, and NEVER second helpings. He lost about 50 pounds,so it works. He even got one day a week to eat one treat . It works great to lose weight. You just have to know when to stop eating .Put down the fork,and quit. After the first couple weeks, it was easy for him .

Edited by julie

I've never read the hobbit or seen the movie, I had tried to read LOTR but the book had a mile long wait list, so that when I finally got it I had a month to try to read it. As you can imagine I didn't get very far. I have seen the movies though.

I think I might have to get myself a copy of the hobbit though.

Edited by Devi

Athena

It sounds like you have found some interesting self help kindle books. Oddly, I've never read a self -help book. Not sure why. I guess I just bumble through life trying to figure stuff out on my own .

The diet one is definitely true : You don't need to starve yourself to lose weight. You can eat a well balanced meal every meal.It's all in the portion size .

The Hubster did exactly that a couple years ago. He ate everything he normally would, only smaller amounts, and NEVER second helpings. He lost about 50 pounds,so it works. He even got one day a week to eat one treat . It works great to lose weight. You just have to know when to stop eating .Put down the fork,and quit. After the first couple weeks, it was easy for him .

x

Great to hear about your husband! I don't normally read/buy many self-help books (I only own a few), but these were free (for a few days) and sounded interesting. The diet book has gotten me even more motivated so that's good. There are a few other free ones that I still have to read, so I look forward to see if they're any good or not. Alternatively, I've also bought a few Kindle books today XD, so I look forward to finding out if they're nice (they are various subjects/genres).

x

I've never read the hobbit or seen the movie, I had tried to read LOTR but the book had a mile long wait list, so that when I finally got it I had a month to try to read it. As you can imagine I didn't get very far. I have seen the movies though.

I think I might have to get myself a copy of the hobbit though.

x

If you get it, I hope you enjoy it :).

To Diane / Inver

I've started reading Home Front by Kristin Hannah, as per your recommendation. So far I'm really enjoying it, I'm on page 40. The writing style is really good and the characters are nicely detailed and their motivations explained. It's pretty entertaining and emotional. I look forward to see how the story will develop.

To Diane / InverI've started reading Home Front by Kristin Hannah, as per your recommendation. So far I'm really enjoying it, I'm on page 40. The writing style is really good and the characters are nicely detailed and their motivations explained. It's pretty entertaining and emotional. I look forward to see how the story will develop.

Home Front is great, if you enjoy that I'd suggest reading "Night Road" after, it was the book that introduced me to Kristin Hannah and was a fantastic roller coaster of a read.. I'm trying to read through her back catalogue now but unfortunately our library has none of her older books... :(

That's great to hear, it's already on my wishlist, I'll look into buying it sometime! :)

Shame your library doesn't have her older books :(, can you order them somehow from a different library? (here in the area they do that, they bring it to another library for a person to read, it might be for old people only though, not sure)

I'm enjoying it a lot so no need to worry :). I understand that though, I feel nervous about it too sometimes, especially since it's happened some time that I really liked a book and some of my friends didn't etc.