Athena's Reading List 2013

Athena

Ken Grimwood - Replay

Genre: Science-fiction

Format: Paperback

Pages: 272

Synopsis (GoodReads): Jeff Winston was 43 and trapped in a tepid marriage and a dead-end job, waiting for that time when he could be truly happy, when he died.

And when he woke and he was 18 again, with all his memories of the next 25 years intact. He could live his life again, avoiding the mistakes, making money from his knowledge of the future, seeking happiness.

Until he dies at 43 and wakes up back in college again...

My thoughts: This book was recommended by several people here on BCF. It's been on my TBR-soon pile for a while now and I finally decided to go for it.

At the beginning of the book I had a bit of trouble with the American 1960s references. However, after this, the story became more interesting, the plot moved forward, and the references became less important. It bothered me at first that I didn't know some of the things, and later on a bit too, but I was able to follow the book well. I loved all the plot twists and reading what happens to Jeff. The book is well written and kept being interesting all the way through. I imagine if I had grown up in 1960s US myself I might've understood these references better. Either way, I thought the book was very good, particularly the last 2/3rds of it. I just wanted to keep on reading, wanting to find out what happens. I'd recommend this book to most people, it's very good. The concept is pretty interesting and well thought out, how everything plays out.. I don't want to spoil it but I didn't see some of the plot twists coming (which is a good thing, in this case). Overall a really good book, I'm glad I read it. I think it's something I'd like to re-read later on as well (perhaps after looking up some US 1960s history). It really makes you think about life and what we do with it.

Rating: ***** (9/10)

• Replies 669
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, I'm so pleased you enjoyed Replay, Athena!  :D

I loved the ending, and wish we could have followed the new guy for a bit. Or, at least finally see some sort of over view of what Jeff's place in the scheme of things actually was.

The ending was great in my opinion, I wasn't expecting it but think it's excellent. I wish that too! It would've been nice to see what Jeff's place was. I'm guessing, since the book was written in 1987, that the author didn't want to include future references by writing about 1988-2015.

Markus Zusak - The Book Thief

Genre: Historical Fiction

Format: Paperback

Pages: 554

Synopsis (GoodReads): HERE IS A SMALL FACT - YOU ARE GOING TO DIE. 1939. Nazi Germany. The country is holding its breath. Death has never been busier. Liesel, a nine-year-old girl, is living with a foster family on Himmel Street. Her parents have been taken away to a concentration camp. Liesel steals books. This is her story and the story of the inhabitants of her street when the bombs begin to fall. SOME IMPORTANT INFORMATION - THIS NOVEL IS NARRATED BY DEATH. It's a small story, about: a girl, an accordionist, some fanatical Germans, a Jewish fist fighter, and quite a lot of thievery. ANOTHER THING YOU SHOULD KNOW - DEATH WILL VISIT THE BOOK THIEF THREE TIMES.

My thoughts: I'm not sure why exactly I picked this book to read at this time, I can't really explain it. It just called to me, I guess.

This book was really good. At the beginning I had a bit of trouble getting into the book, because the narration style is a bit different than with most books. After a little while though I got used to it and found it to be quite refreshing. Certain parts of the book are mentioned before they happen, they spark your interest, without spoiling too much of the story. I really enjoyed this book. It's great to read about what life was like in Germany during the Second World War, it's a different perspective compared with the usual, perhaps. The book is really well written. Most of the plot twists I didn't see coming. It really describes the war reality well, as well as the life of Liesel. I would've liked for the book to go on, and hear more about what happens (but it's a great ending, though!). The book also contains a few illustrations and Death's notes through it. I really liked these bits, they broke up the text nicely and were interesting to read / view. The book made me want to keep on reading.

Rating: ***** (10/10)

Edited by Athena

Temple Grandin - The Way I See It, Revised and Expanded 2nd Edition: A Personal Look at Autism and Asperger's

Genre: Information, Biography

Format: Kindle

Pages: 339

Synopsis (GoodReads): In this innovative book, Dr. Temple Grandin gets down to the REAL issues of autism, the ones parents, teachers, and individuals on the spectrum face every day. Temple offers helpful do’s and don’ts, practical strategies, and try-it-now tips, all based on her “insider” perspective and a great deal of research.

These are just some of the specific topics Temple delves into:

How and Why People with Autism Think Differently

Economical Early Intervention Programs that Work

How Sensory Sensitivities Affect Learning

Behaviors Caused by a Disability vs. Just Bad Behaviors

Teaching People with Autism to Live in an Unpredictable World

Alternative Medicine vs. Conventional Medicine

Employment Ideas for Adults with Autism

And many more!

This revised and expanded edition contains revisions based on the most current autism research, as well as 14 additional articles including:

The Role of Genetics and Environmental Factors in Causing Autism

Understanding the Mind of a Nonverbal Person with Autism

Finding Mentors and Appropriate Colleges

And many more!

My thoughts:

This book consists of articles Temple Grandin previously wrote for a magazine. They're grouped by subject, forming the chapters. Because of this, sometimes things are repeated across articles. This didn't bother me a lot, but if the book had been written as a whole, these things might've been less apparent. Overall the book flows very well, other than the aforementioned. I found some articles / some parts of the book more interesting than others. It was interesting to read about her own experiences, though it's also of interest to note that some things work differently for me. For example, she talks about three thinking styles among people with autism, I have a bit of all three. But each person is different. It was still interesting to learn about other people with autism, how things worked for her, her experiences, but also her advice. While I don't agree with all of her advice, in relation to myself at least, since some of it is US-based (ie. driving laws, mentors, colleges) and not fully applicable here, some of it is quite good advice for people for whom it is appropriate. It didn't help me much on a personal level other than extra information about autism (ie. brain scans), though I agree with some of the tips, ie. you should be well groomed when you're outside, you should be clean, dressed nicely, etc., they weren't applicable to me, because I already know this. I was about to talk more about specific points the book made, but it's probably better if I don't get too rambly.

I think the book is a good addition to anyone who already knows about autism, but if you know very little about autism there are better books to start with, in which things are explained clearer. Overall I'm glad I read it, and might purchase some more of her books (I have Animals Make Us Human already, but that's more about animals, as far as I know).

Rating: **** (8/10)

Edited by Athena

Thank you ^_^! I really like how they look. I'll have to read them to see if the content is also nice (minus the ones that are re-reads), but I have good hopes for a lot of them.

Have you read The Night Circus yet ? I looked through your booklist, but I think it`s just listed as a book that you own, so I`m not sure if you`ve already read it.  I`ve thought about buying it myself. :smile:

Sorry, I haven't read it yet. I've heard really good things about it, which is why I bought it, but I haven't got around to reading it yet. I should really do so sometime.. I think the problem with it is that I'm not sure what to expect so I haven't been in the mood yet (or something). I'll be sure to post a review once I do read it, though :).

Sorry, I haven't read it yet. I've heard really good things about it, which is why I bought it, but I haven't got around to reading it yet. I should really do so sometime.. I think the problem with it is that I'm not sure what to expect so I haven't been in the mood yet (or something). I'll be sure to post a review once I do read it, though :).

Thanks. It`ll be good to have your input ; I`m still in two minds about ordering it. :D

Glad you loved The Book Thief Athena :)

Love your new pile of books :D .. I can't read all the titles but there are some really pretty spines there. Hope they turn out to be brilliant reads :)The Night Circus is a great book .. leastways I thought so :blush2: 

Temple Grandin - The Way I See It, Revised and Expanded 2nd Edition: A Personal Look at Autism and Asperger's

Genre: Information, Biography

Format: Kindle

Pages: 339

Synopsis (GoodReads): In this innovative book, Dr. Temple Grandin gets down to the REAL issues of autism, the ones parents, teachers, and individuals on the spectrum face every day. Temple offers helpful do’s and don’ts, practical strategies, and try-it-now tips, all based on her “insider” perspective and a great deal of research.

These are just some of the specific topics Temple delves into:

How and Why People with Autism Think Differently

Economical Early Intervention Programs that Work

How Sensory Sensitivities Affect Learning

Behaviors Caused by a Disability vs. Just Bad Behaviors

Teaching People with Autism to Live in an Unpredictable World

Alternative Medicine vs. Conventional Medicine

Employment Ideas for Adults with Autism

And many more!

This revised and expanded edition contains revisions based on the most current autism research, as well as 14 additional articles including:

The Role of Genetics and Environmental Factors in Causing Autism

Understanding the Mind of a Nonverbal Person with Autism

Finding Mentors and Appropriate Colleges

And many more!

My thoughts:

This book consists of articles Temple Grandin previously wrote for a magazine. They're grouped by subject, forming the chapters. Because of this, sometimes things are repeated across articles. This didn't bother me a lot, but if the book had been written as a whole, these things might've been less apparent. Overall the book flows very well, other than the aforementioned. I found some articles / some parts of the book more interesting than others. It was interesting to read about her own experiences, though it's also of interest to note that some things work differently for me. For example, she talks about three thinking styles among people with autism, I have a bit of all three. But each person is different. It was still interesting to learn about other people with autism, how things worked for her, her experiences, but also her advice. While I don't agree with all of her advice, in relation to myself at least, since some of it is US-based (ie. driving laws, mentors, colleges) and not fully applicable here, some of it is quite good advice for people for whom it is appropriate. It didn't help me much on a personal level other than extra information about autism (ie. brain scans), though I agree with some of the tips, ie. you should be well groomed when you're outside, you should be clean, dressed nicely, etc., they weren't applicable to me, because I already know this. I was about to talk more about specific points the book made, but it's probably better if I don't get too rambly.

I think the book is a good addition to anyone who already knows about autism, but if you know very little about autism there are better books to start with, in which things are explained clearer. Overall I'm glad I read it, and might purchase some more of her books (I have Animals Make Us Human already, but that's more about animals, as far as I know).

Rating: **** (8/10)

Interesting. One of my neighbour`s has autism and - bear with me, this isn`t a particularly coherent thought yet - I think about her having to do things to fit in with other people ( like acknowledging other people in the room ) at the same time as there are lots of self-help books with the premise of `just be yourself`.

Um, that`s as coherent as I can make it. There`s an idea in there somewhere. :blush2:

Glad you loved The Book Thief Athena :)

Love your new pile of books :D .. I can't read all the titles but there are some really pretty spines there. Hope they turn out to be brilliant reads :)The Night Circus is a great book .. leastways I thought so :blush2: 

Nice stack of books, Athena! :)

I really enjoyed Night Circus, it was very different.  Great premise.

Thanks both :D  - the book`s now in my `Amazon - getting round to ordering it at some point` list. :smile:

Interesting. One of my neighbour`s has autism and - bear with me, this isn`t a particularly coherent thought yet - I think about her having to do things to fit in with other people ( like acknowledging other people in the room ) at the same time as there are lots of self-help books with the premise of `just be yourself`.

Um, that`s as coherent as I can make it. There`s an idea in there somewhere. :blush2:

Thanks for all your comments about my books :)!

@ Little Pixie

That makes sense. I try to find a balance between holding up to some social rules while also being myself. I tried to fit in at secondary school and be someone I'm not, and that didn't really go well! I became very unhappy.

I hope you enjoy The Night Circus!

Today I went to Het Boekenfestijn, a book fair in the Netherlands, and bought a lot of books :blush:^_^! Pictures and list will follow at a later time. Right now I'm tired and the next few days it's the read-a-thon so I'd like to get some reading done. But who knows, if I really feel like it I'll compile a list and post some pictures.

I'm currently reading Susan Hill - Howards End is on the Landing as paperbook and Temple Grandin - Animals Make Us Human: Creating the Best Life for Animals on the Kindle. For the read-a-thon I plan to read several short(er) books.

Thanks for all your comments about my books :)!

@ Little Pixie

That makes sense. I try to find a balance between holding up to some social rules while also being myself. I tried to fit in at secondary school and be someone I'm not, and that didn't really go well! I became very unhappy.

:console:  I hope things were better at University for you. :smile:

I hope you enjoy The Night Circus!

Thank you ! :smile:

Today I went to Het Boekenfestijn, a book fair in the Netherlands, and bought a lot of books :blush:^_^! Pictures and list will follow at a later time. Right now I'm tired and the next few days it's the read-a-thon so I'd like to get some reading done. But who knows, if I really feel like it I'll compile a list and post some pictures.

Hee, welcome to your new books. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I love the pic of the books that you posted. :) I especially love the pile of 'books about books' on the right. :D What are the books in the third pile that have kind of pastel-coloured spines?

Would it help motivate you to post a pic and a list of your new books if I begged you to do it? Pretty please with a cherry on top? ;)

Haha! I actually bought it because it's part of a book series, in the Netherlands we have the Lijsters, where every year this publishing company (Wolters-Noordhoff in that time) would collect five books and then publish them, with new covers. Schools (primary and secondary) would be able to purchase them cheaply for their children. I think it was meant to encourage children to read more. There were various kinds, depending on the ages of the children. These ones are Blackbirds, they're for teenagers, in English, secondary school. I have quite a few from when I was a child, they're very dear to me. (EDIT: Actually, the school used to ask if there is enough interest, and then the parents pay the school for the books. I don't know how things go these days.)

Here is a website that I found based on quick Googling. They still exist and are being made! The company is called Noordhoff Uitgevers now.

Anyway, the blurb of the book sounded interesting and I wanted to have the whole set (minus the ones I already had, in either that format or a different edition), and it was cheap. So I hope I like it!

Thanks for your story about the book, it made me giggle :giggle2:.

In other news, I'm reading Ken Grimwood - Replay and should have it finished soon.

Okay, so there was a logical story behind buying the copy... There has to be one, in my opinion! :giggle2: But like I (think I) said, all uni stuff aside, it is a pretty good read :yes: And it's quite interesting to see a story of that certain issue during that certain period in time. I hope I didn't in any way discourage you! :)

Ken Grimwood - Replay

Haha, yet another fan of the book :D

Why aren't I getting royalties for this?  :hissyfit:

:giggle2:

... because you didn't write the book? :shrug:

:P:lol:

Markus Zusak - The Book Thief

My thoughts: I'm not sure why exactly I picked this book to read at this time, I can't really explain it. It just called to me, I guess.

This book was really good. At the beginning I had a bit of trouble getting into the book, because the narration style is a bit different than with most books. After a little while though I got used to it and found it to be quite refreshing. Certain parts of the book are mentioned before they happen, they spark your interest, without spoiling too much of the story. I really enjoyed this book. It's great to read about what life was like in Germany during the Second World War, it's a different perspective compared with the usual, perhaps. The book is really well written. Most of the plot twists I didn't see coming. It really describes the war reality well, as well as the life of Liesel. I would've liked for the book to go on, and hear more about what happens (but it's a great ending, though!). The book also contains a few illustrations and Death's notes through it. I really liked these bits, they broke up the text nicely and were interesting to read / view. The book made me want to keep on reading.

Rating: ***** (10/10)

Great review! :) And I'm happy you enjoyed the book so much :) It's really great. (Not to mention that Zusak is a hottie :blush::giggle2:)

Here's a photo of some books I bought recently (see earlier in this thread), my TBR-soon and my "might read during the read-a-thon" TBR.

attachicon.gifDSCN0694_0.25.jpg

:wub: I love pics of books! Beautiful!

By the way: I don't remember, do you ever go to charityshops to buy books? If so, do the secondhand bookshops over there have a lot of English copies? :shrug:

And I'm with Kylie. Pretty please, chocolate on top of the cherry?? :giggle2: You're as big of a tease as Devi is, she also has loads of new books to tell us about, but she was too exhausted to post about them. You two planned this together, didn't you? :D

And I'm with Kylie. Pretty please, chocolate on top of the cherry?? :giggle2: You're as big of a tease as Devi is, she also has loads of new books to tell us about, but she was too exhausted to post about them. You two planned this together, didn't you? :D

I wouldn't be surprised if they were plotting together, Frankie. We should make some sort of a rule that people HAVE to post their new book immediately.  :giggle:

:giggle2:     :angel_not:   :D