Ian's reading 2013

ian

Had my first failure to finish of the year - not bad for me to get to August, but still disappointing. I like to finsh a book i've started, but I simply couldn't get into "No Country for Old Men" by Cormac McCarthy. Can't really put my finger on why, but I realised after about fifty pages that I was just reading words on a page and simply not getting involved with the story at all. At first I thought it was me (not feeling very good at the moment) and so I picked up "Catch me while you can" by Frank Abagnale and got straight into it. Oh well, perhaps Cormac McCarthy isn't for me then. Fortunately, it was a library book, so nothing really lost there.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awww .. No Country for Old Men was definitely on my radar .. but I can't be dealing with books that are difficult to get into Ian ... sheesh! .. nothing would ever get read (I'll abandon it now .. save me the trouble later :D). Also very intrigued by Lolita and Lady Chatterley's Lover but for one reason or the other (subject matter for Lolita) never seem to get around to them. Lady Chatterley seems like the stand out book so I am viewing it more favourably now .. Lolita I will read some day or other. It's considered a classic so it's my intention to give it a go but .. I do feel conflicted about it.

Thanks for your reviews Ian  :) I love the sort of books you read (and abandon ;))

I'm glad you enjoy Tom Sawyer so much. I've only read Huck Finn so far and it's one of my favourite books. I have Tom Sawyer on my TBR pile; I should really bump it up!

I tend to disagree (respectfully, of course) with your opinions on Lolita and Lady Chatterley's Lover. I rate Lolita as one of my favourite books - despite the difficult subject matter, the writing was just so beautiful for me that it outshone the plot and subject matter. I'm glad you enjoyed the writing, at least. :) On the other hand, I really hated Lady Chatterley's Lover. I found it too dull, mostly, but perhaps my expectations were too high given its notoriety.

I'm glad you enjoy Tom Sawyer so much. I've only read Huck Finn so far and it's one of my favourite books. I have Tom Sawyer on my TBR pile; I should really bump it up!

I tend to disagree (respectfully, of course) with your opinions on Lolita and Lady Chatterley's Lover. I rate Lolita as one of my favourite books - despite the difficult subject matter, the writing was just so beautiful for me that it outshone the plot and subject matter. I'm glad you enjoyed the writing, at least. :) On the other hand, I really hated Lady Chatterley's Lover. I found it too dull, mostly, but perhaps my expectations were too high given its notoriety.

It was lovely writing, I will happily admit - which is why my overall reaction to Lolita as a whole surprised me. I don't think I've ever had such split feelings over a book before.

So I finished "Catch me if you can" by Frank W Abagnale. This was an easy read after the last couple of books. I saw the film a couple of years ago, and actually wasn't aware that it was a book.

I shouldn't like this book. It's written by a con artist (or ghost-written at least) and describes how he defrauded airlines and banks out of hundreds of thousands of Dollars and travelled the world at their expense. But, the story is told in such a winning way, that I couldn't help having a sneaking admiration for what he got away with - and if this book is to be believed, then he got away with an awful lot!

Very enjoyable - 4/5

I'm ashamed to admit as a keen reader, that I'd never heard of Neil Gaiman until a couple of years ago, when I sat down to watch Coraline on DVD with my kids. The film really stuck with me, but I still haven't read any of his books, till Coraline landed in my Kindle, thanks to my brother, last week.

For those who don't know it, the story is a (nominal) children's story that tells  Coraline's adventures when she discovers that the bricked up doorway in her flat is actually a door to her "other Mother", who looks like her own mother, but has shiny black buttons for eyes. At first Coraline thinks this other mother is a better version of her real, somewhat neglectful mother (and father), but soon come to realise that not is all that it seems.

The book reminded my of Roald Dahl's stories - children's stories yes, but a little bit creepy. I loved it!

There was also a very nice section at the end - an interview with Neil, where he expalins some of the dtails of how he came to write this. He started off writng it for his daughter, then 5 and finished it when she was 16! Still, she read it and when he asked if she was too old for it now, she replied "I don't think you can be too old for Coraline". 

I'd have to agree.  5/5

Edited by ian

Would you like to read more by Nabokov in the future then?

How does Catch Me If You Can compare to the movie? I've seen the movie several times and love it, and I've seen the book around a lot at secondhand shops and bookfairs, but I've always been undecided about buying it.

I loved Coraline too. I saw the movie first, and I think it's a great adaptation of the book. :)

Would you like to read more by Nabokov in the future then?

How does Catch Me If You Can compare to the movie? I've seen the movie several times and love it, and I've seen the book around a lot at secondhand shops and bookfairs, but I've always been undecided about buying it.

I loved Coraline too. I saw the movie first, and I think it's a great adaptation of the book. :)

I don't think I would purposefully seek out more Nabokov to read, but my reaction to Lolita was so two-handed, that I might be tempted to read it again in a couple of years time. Being familar with the plot, a second read might give me more latitude to get in the fabric of the writing more, second time around

I would say that the film probably just edges the book, although it's difficult to pinpoint exactly why that is.

I'm ashamed to admit as a keen reader, that I'd never heard of Neil Gaiman until a couple of years ago, when I sat down to watch Coraline on DVD with my kids. The film really stuck with me, but I still haven't read any of his books, till Coraline landed in my Kindle, thanks to my brother, last week.

For those who don't know it, the story is a (nominal) children's story that tells  Coraline's adventures when she discovers that the bricked up doorway in her flat is actually a door to her "other Mother", who looks like her own mother, but has shiny black buttons for eyes. At first Coraline thinks this other mother is a better version of her real, somewhat neglectful mother (and father), but soon come to realise that not is all that it seems.

The book reminded my of Roald Dahl's stories - children's stories yes, but a little bit creepy. I loved it!

There was also a very nice section at the end - an interview with Neil, where he expalins some of the dtails of how he came to write this. He started off writng it for his daughter, then 5 and finished it when she was 16! Still, she read it and when he asked if she was too old for it now, she replied "I don't think you can be too old for Coraline". 

I'd have to agree.  5/5

x

Coraline is on my wishlist, I'm glad to hear you liked it :).

American Gods by Neil Gaiman

After three years in prison, Shadow has done his time. But as the time until his release ticks away, he can feel a storm brewing. Two days before he gets out, his wife Laura dies in a mysterious car crash, in adulterous circumstances. Dazed, Shadow travels home, only to encounter the bizarre Mr Wednesday claiming to be a refugee from a distant war, a former god and the king of America. Together they embark on a very strange journey across the States, along the way solving the murders which have occurred every winter in one small American town. But the storm is about to break... Disturbing, gripping and profoundly strange, Gaiman's epic novel sees him on the road to the heart of America.

My thoughts.

This is a very strange book. Absolutely compelling read; I really couldn't put this down. I had to read the next page, then the next. Every character is well-drawn, the dialogue is crisp and amusing. The plot almost seemed secondary after that, and this does jump around quite a lot. I can certainly understand why some people didn't like this book. That's my only minor gripe - that the story doesn't really end, it kind of peters out. That aside, it was a great read - 4/5

The Tales of the Arter Gems: Episode III: The Chosen One. by Mario Walsh

A young Teenager named Syra stumbles across a gateway to another world. With her friend, 'Vetor' they both decide to venture through the portal to the mystical and magical world of Tharp. The difficulties they face along the way matures them both as people and the responibilties that are bestowed upon them are grand enough in scale to make them legendary

My Thoughts.

This book came to my attention when it was mercilessly plugged on this site by a new user. As it was free to download, I decided that I would give it a go - despite the summary above which I've taken from the author's own description.

Unfortunately, this is every bit as bad as I suspected. The title alone should have warned me - it's the first book, and it's called Episode III.

I hate to slag off writers - especially new, young writers, but this really is very, very poor. I gave up after a quarter of the way through. Maybe, with practice, Mario Walsh will become a better writer. I hope so, as he obviously has a big imagination. Unfortunately, at the moment, his writing doesn't match it.

When will there be good news? by Kate Atkinson

In rural Devon, six-year-old Joanna Mason witnesses an appalling crime.

Thirty years later the man convicted of the crime is released from prison.

In Edinburgh, sixteen-year-old Reggie works as a nanny for a G.P. But Dr Hunter has gone missing and Reggie seems to be the only person who is worried.

Across town, Detective Chief Inspector Louise Monroe is also looking for a missing person, unaware that hurtling towards her is an old friend -- Jackson Brodie -- himself on a journey that becomes fatally interrupted.

My thoughts.

I've only read one Kate Atkinson before (Case Histories), and I knew beforehand this was out of sequence, but 99p in a charity shop is not to be ignored! Kate Atkinson has an unusual way of writing, for a crime writer: I can only describe it as "chatty". The backstory of Dr Hunter, told to us as it is through the eyes of 16yo Reggie, comes to us as an amalagation of chats Reggie has had with Dr Hunter while she has been working for her. I found this very effective; it kept me interested and left a lot unsaid. But when she (Atkinson) changes pace to write about crimes being committed, she can change her writing style to a more more direct style. Not much happens in this book, in terms of plot. In a lesser writer, this would have felt padded out, but here, it feels right.

The final few pages and full of revelations that you don't see coming (well I didn't anyway!).

Excellent - 5/5

I was about to put this on my wishlist, but Wikipedia tells me it's the third book in a series. Do I need to read the previous two in order to understand the story?

Nice review, btw :)!

Edited by Athena

Ian

I have yet to read Atkinson myself, although her books sound really good. not sure why I haven't tried one yet. I'm also wondering what the order would be regarding the book you just read, and if they would be easier to follow if you read them in order ?

Hi Athena, Julie.

I think I certainly benefited from reading the first book, Case Histories, before reading this one. I would always prefer to read books like these in the correct order. Her own website says that the books can be read in isolation, but are better read in order - this being

Case Histories

One Good Turn

When will there be good news

Started early, took my dog.

I don't think I would purposefully seek out more Nabokov to read, but my reaction to Lolita was so two-handed, that I might be tempted to read it again in a couple of years time. Being familar with the plot, a second read might give me more latitude to get in the fabric of the writing more, second time around

I would say that the film probably just edges the book, although it's difficult to pinpoint exactly why that is.

A reread is always beneficial with any of Nabokov's books. :)

Might I suggest Pnin?  Entirely different subject matter, a bit easier to read I believe, and the prose is gorgeous. 

Which film of Lolita have you seen? 

And with regard to your other post on Lolita, I must take exception to one thing.  Nabokov was not a pedophile.  Some have attempted to smear him, but that is all it amounts to.

American Gods by Neil Gaiman

After three years in prison, Shadow has done his time. But as the time until his release ticks away, he can feel a storm brewing. Two days before he gets out, his wife Laura dies in a mysterious car crash, in adulterous circumstances. Dazed, Shadow travels home, only to encounter the bizarre Mr Wednesday claiming to be a refugee from a distant war, a former god and the king of America. Together they embark on a very strange journey across the States, along the way solving the murders which have occurred every winter in one small American town. But the storm is about to break... Disturbing, gripping and profoundly strange, Gaiman's epic novel sees him on the road to the heart of America.

My thoughts.

This is a very strange book. Absolutely compelling read; I really couldn't put this down. I had to read the next page, then the next. Every character is well-drawn, the dialogue is crisp and amusing. The plot almost seemed secondary after that, and this does jump around quite a lot. I can certainly understand why some people didn't like this book. That's my only minor gripe - that the story doesn't really end, it kind of peters out. That aside, it was a great read - 4/5

Good review, Ian.

I've only read two of Gaimen's books....American Gods and Neverwhere.  Loved both. :)

Edited by pontalba

Finished "Lolita". I really am in two minds about this book. The writing is excellent, some of it is beautiful - the way the words fall off the page with a rhythm that just keeps you reading. I think I have rarely read something that, linguistically, is so attractive. But the subject is so repellent!

I suppose I should put that down to good writing; there is very little that could be considered lewd, but narrated as it is by a man we would now consider a pedophile, there were parts of this book that made me very uncomfortable. I can't say that as a whole, I enjoyed reading this. I can only give it 2 out of 5."

It was lovely writing, I will happily admit - which is why my overall reaction to Lolita as a whole surprised me. I don't think I've ever had such split feelings over a book before.

I couldn't agree more. Although I have to say I read the Finnish version, but that's partly because I had thought the original was in Russian! (the other part was due to me having found a cheap Finnish copy) But the Finnish copy was beautiful, too, the writing, I mean. So the English one must be pretty spectacular!

But the subject matter... Yes, he's a paedophile, but it's written in such a way that he doesn't seem like the most horrible paedophile there is. Which is very very disturbing, because all paedophiles are bad. It's just wrong, and there's no going round it. And I couldn't figure out Lolita at all. I mean she was a kid, and probably didn't know what was going on, in a way, on a more serious level, but then again why wouldn't she?

I should really re-read the book, I don't remember all the particulars. There's so much to it, for sure.

Oh, whoops.....I thought you meant Nabokov was a pedophile!  Sorry for misunderstanding! :eek:

That's OK - I had a look through my past posts, I can see how you would have thought I meant Nabakov. It was Humbert Humbert I was referring to. 

The other thing I hadn't made clear: The film I had seen was of Coraline, not Lolita (which I have never seen)

The Stone Monkey - Jeffrey Deaver

Lincoln and Amelia are recruited to track down a cargo ship carrying two dozen illegal Chinese immigrants, as well as the notorious human smuggler and killer known as the Ghost. But when the capture goes disastrously wrong, Lincoln and Amelia find themselves in a race to stop the Ghost before he can track down and murder the two surviving families who have vanished deep into the labyrinthine world of New York City's Chinese community.

My thoughts.

I was given this by a friend who hadn't been able to get past the first few chapters. I also initially struggled with it, and ended up putting it to one side for a couple of months and reading other things. I finally decided to pick it up again and give it another go. I began it again, and again, struggled with those first few chapters. I can't put my finger on why it was. But eventually, about eight chapters in, something just clicked and I just zipped through the rest of the book. I've read a few Deaver books now, so I'm on the look out for the twists that inevitably come. I spotted some, but there were a couple of big ones that I totally missed. Clever writing 4/5