Ruth - 2013

Ruth

^^ Thanks for that, Ruth - I want to give Hornblower a go at some point (I'd been thinking I'd get to it when I'm finished with Patrick O'Brian's series), so I've been looking at this book on and off for a while but haven't quite bought it yet.  Might have to change that, now.  Glad to hear you enjoyed it :smile:

I hope you enjoy it too :)

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Two Pints, by Roddy Doyle

0224097814.01._SX140_SY224_SCLZZZZZZZ_.j

Coming in at under a 100 pages, this amusing (and occasionally hilarious) book is a collection of conversations between two men in a Dublin pub, during 2011-2012.  It’s somewhat unusual in that we never learn the men’s names, there are no other characters, and the whole book is just their dialogue.

It really works too.  The men make reference to the news stories of the day (the London Olympics, the deaths of Amy Winehouse, Whitney Houston and others, and the whereabouts of Colonel Gadaffi – who one of the men is convinced is working as a cleaner at Dublin Airport), and discuss snippets of their lives.

A funny and enjoyable book, which can be easily read in one sitting.

I was going through your reading log, and I honestly thought I'd already commented on some of your reviews (for example State of Wonder), but I couldn't find my posts so I guess I must've only just added some books to my wishlist and thought I'd comment later. I regret that now, seeing how many interesting sounding books you've read, and which I now want to comment on :D

Judy Garland and other child actors of the time were given amphetamines and sleeping pills by the film crews in order that they would always be alert and ready when the cameras rolled, this began her slide into addiction, very sad and unfortunately very acceptable at the time..

:o Unbelievable! I mean I don't question this, but it's just horrible that they would do that.  What the heck were they thinking...?!

The Hypnotist, by Lars Kepler

My friend recently borrowed this from another friend, and while the author's Swedish (well it's a pseudonym for a Swedish husband-wife writing team), the name of the main character, Joona Linna, is Finnish, so I kinda feel that at least the Finns are represented in at least this way in the Scandinavian/Nordic crime novels these days :blush: I know, it's pretty pathetic of me, LOL!

Death at Wentwater Court, by Carola Dunn

1845298659.01._SX140_SY224_SCLZZZZZZZ_.j

This sounds really great, definitely going on my wishlist! :smile2:

Annabel, by Kathleen Winter

0224091271.01._SX140_SY224_SCLZZZZZZZ_.j

This is definitely going on my wishlist, as well. And I have to ask, have you read Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides? The book deals with pretty much the same subject, and it really is a great novel, one of my most favorite ever :)

The Dinner, by Herman Koch

8b3684392692d495976326b6767434d414f4141.

I came across this book while I was working at the library last autumn, and it ended up on my wishlist. I borrowed it after that and started reading, but it wasn't at all what I thought it would be, and I read a few other rather negative reviews about the book. Like, how the book didn't really get into the issue that the blurb was talking about, until very later on and it was all about the people eating at the restaurant. Your review, however, has made me decide that I want to give it another go :)

State of Wonder, by Ann Patchett

I had previously read Bel Canto, by Ann Patchett, and had loved that book, so although the synopsis of State of Wonder did not interest me as much, I wanted to read it….and I thoroughly enjoyed it.  There is something about Patchett’s writing – it is so descriptive and evocative, without being ‘flowery’ – and her characters are so utterly believable, that I could  not help but be drawn in.

I was reading the blurb you'd written down in the review and my initial thought was 'wow, that doesn't sound like something I'd like to read... But then, like you, I've read Bel Canto and absolutely loved it, so I'm thinking I definitely need to give this one ago, too, as per your review :)

Amazing reviews all over, your reading log is one of my favorites on here :) Such variety of different kinds of books!

• 2 weeks later...

Cry Freedom, by John Briley

13bdbad90cabebd592b5a755a67434d414f4141.

John Briley’s novel was adapted from his own screenplay for the film of the same name, which in turn was adapted from two books by Donald Woods (‘Biko’ and ‘Asking for Trouble’).

It tells the true story of the friendship between white Journalist Donald Woods, and black anti-Apartheid activist Stephen Biko, in South Africa in the 1970s.  Initially suspicious of each other’s motives, Woods and Biko become united, driven by their desire for equality in South Africa.  When Biko dies in Police Custody – the Police’s story is that he died of a self-imposed hunger strike, while Biko’s body, and the routine practices of certain Police at the time make it clear that he was beaten and tortured to death – Woods is determined to tell Biko’s story to the rest of the world.  However, the South African government and Police are determined to stop him, and place a banning order on him, effectively placing him under house arrest, and not allowing him to be in the company of more than one person at a time, save for immediate family.  However, Woods is determined that Biko’s story should be told.

I enjoyed the book a lot – it made me gasp in horror at times, but was very compelling.  The injustices committed against people in this book made my eyes pop, even though I already knew something about them.

The story is told in two parts – the first covers the friendship between the two men, while the second, after Biko’s death, describes Woods’ determination to see some justice for his friend, by telling the story of Biko and what he was striving for in South Africa.  My only criticism of it would be that it doesn’t go into some areas in much depth, and I would have liked to have known more.  It does read like a novel (and is described as such by the author), and so even though it is a true story, it flows well, and is hard to put down.  I would have liked to have learned more about Biko’s life leading up to the events in the story, but as it is adapted from the screenplay, it only really describes what was happening in the film, which focused on just that time in Biko’s life.  However, I would still recommend this book highly.

I was going through your reading log, and I honestly thought I'd already commented on some of your reviews (for example State of Wonder), but I couldn't find my posts so I guess I must've only just added some books to my wishlist and thought I'd comment later. I regret that now, seeing how many interesting sounding books you've read, and which I now want to comment on :D

:o Unbelievable! I mean I don't question this, but it's just horrible that they would do that.  What the heck were they thinking...?!

My friend recently borrowed this from another friend, and while the author's Swedish (well it's a pseudonym for a Swedish husband-wife writing team), the name of the main character, Joona Linna, is Finnish, so I kinda feel that at least the Finns are represented in at least this way in the Scandinavian/Nordic crime novels these days :blush: I know, it's pretty pathetic of me, LOL!

This sounds really great, definitely going on my wishlist! :smile2:

This is definitely going on my wishlist, as well. And I have to ask, have you read Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides? The book deals with pretty much the same subject, and it really is a great novel, one of my most favorite ever :)

I came across this book while I was working at the library last autumn, and it ended up on my wishlist. I borrowed it after that and started reading, but it wasn't at all what I thought it would be, and I read a few other rather negative reviews about the book. Like, how the book didn't really get into the issue that the blurb was talking about, until very later on and it was all about the people eating at the restaurant. Your review, however, has made me decide that I want to give it another go :)

I was reading the blurb you'd written down in the review and my initial thought was 'wow, that doesn't sound like something I'd like to read... But then, like you, I've read Bel Canto and absolutely loved it, so I'm thinking I definitely need to give this one ago, too, as per your review :)

Amazing reviews all over, your reading log is one of my favorites on here :) Such variety of different kinds of books!

That's a lovely thing to say, thanks Frankie :)  I like to read lots of different things because I think I get bored quite easily if I stick to a particular genre for too long.

Ha! It's not pathetic of  you to be glad about Linna's name - he was actually my favourite part of the book.

Hope you love Death at Wentwater Court - it's a lovely cosy mystery, and I have the next few books in the series on my bookshelf :)

Annabel was a great read, and I hope you like it as much as I did.  I have not read Middlesex, but have put it on my wishlist now :D

I picked The Dinner as the book to read for my face-to-face reading group, and was quite relieved when most people liked it, even if they didn't like any of the characters.  I don't want to give too much away, but I think that the fact that they didn't get into the issue central to the theme was maybe a plot device, which I'll say more on if you read it, but I am wary of spoiling it for you!

I bought State of Wonder sort of on a whim after reading Bel Canto, but then didn't pick it up for ages, because the blurb no longer really appealed to me.  However, once I eventually started to read it, it was hard to put down.  Hope you like it :)

That's a lovely thing to say, thanks Frankie :)  I like to read lots of different things because I think I get bored quite easily if I stick to a particular genre for too long.

That certainly helps keeping things interesting for you :) But it's not only that you want to read different kinds of books for variety's sake, I think it's admiring that your tastes are so varied, you don't seem like the kind to keep to certain genres and then completely overlooking the rest. I think that's admirable!

Ha! It's not pathetic of  you to be glad about Linna's name - he was actually my favourite part of the book.

:giggle2: Good on Linna :lol:

Hope you love Death at Wentwater Court - it's a lovely cosy mystery, and I have the next few books in the series on my bookshelf :)

I've read so many modern type mysteries and thrillers that it will definitely be a nice change to read something a bit more cosy and 'old-fashioned' :yes:

Annabel was a great read, and I hope you like it as much as I did.  I have not read Middlesex, but have put it on my wishlist now :D

Great! :D I really hope you enjoy it! :)

I picked The Dinner as the book to read for my face-to-face reading group, and was quite relieved when most people liked it, even if they didn't like any of the characters.  I don't want to give too much away, but I think that the fact that they didn't get into the issue central to the theme was maybe a plot device, which I'll say more on if you read it, but I am wary of spoiling it for you!

I'm glad that the fact that they didn't get to the actual issue served some kind of purpose, otherwise it would feel just odd, quite simply. Now I'm all the more intrigued! I don't think I'll get to the book in the most nearest future, but hopefully in the next few years or so... Blast that Mount TBR!

I bought State of Wonder sort of on a whim after reading Bel Canto, but then didn't pick it up for ages, because the blurb no longer really appealed to me.  However, once I eventually started to read it, it was hard to put down.  Hope you like it :)

I just find it funny, like I said before, that neither of us fancy/fancied the blurb all that much... But both enjoyed Bel Canto. Sounds promising! :)

The Dating Detox, by Gemma Burgess

1847561918.01._SX140_SY224_SCLZZZZZZZ_.j

After being dumped six times in a row, 28 year old Sass decides that dating and relationships aren’t worth the trouble and goes on a dating sabbatical, which means that she can’t date (obviously), kiss or flirt with men.  To her surprise she finds it enjoyable, and becomes more assertive and proactive in her life.  The only problem is the rather gorgeous and funny Jake, who Sass keeps running into and against all her own rules, finds very sexy.

Now, chicklit is not really my favourite genre, but I like it sometimes if I fancy a nice easy read.  However, this is the second book I’ve read by Gemma Burgess (although The Dating Detox was the first one to be published), and I have really enjoyed both of them.

Sass’s experience was less about waiting for any half-decent man to come along, and more about growing as a person and deciding what she wants from life.  The story is told in first-person present-tense, and Sass is an engaging and likeable narrator.  I also loved her totally believable friendships with best mates Bloomie and Kate, who are dealing with their own personal and professional problems.  The characters – Sass particularly – are very relatable.  We all know people like Bloomie and Kate.  (And yes, Jake is rather lovely!)

The story moves along nicely, with some genuinely funny moments.  It makes a pleasant change to read a book about dating and relationships, that also focuses on the positive side of being single and learning to stand on your own two feet.  It’s definitely aimed at female readers, and yes it is very ‘chicklitty’ but it’s fresh and pacy, and gave me lots to smile at.

Thanks for saying such lovely things Frankie :)  I always thought you liked reading different kinds of books too?  I think I get bored too easily :D

I do like reading different kinds of books, I think, but lately I seem to have become stuck in a few different types of books. I guess it's just silly mojo playing tricks :)  That's partly why it's so nice to see how some people keep mixing things up on a rather regular basis: it's inspirational :) I hope mojo will start to take note of other people's mojos and how well behaved they are!

Great review :)! The book was already on my wishlist.

I do like reading different kinds of books, I think, but lately I seem to have become stuck in a few different types of books. I guess it's just silly mojo playing tricks :)  That's partly why it's so nice to see how some people keep mixing things up on a rather regular basis: it's inspirational :) I hope mojo will start to take note of other people's mojos and how well behaved they are!

Yeah, we all have those times when our mojo plays up!  Sometimes it's just the guilt of having so many books on my shelves waiting to be read that keeps me picking them up!

Edited by Ruth

The Empress of Ice Cream, by Anthony Capella

0751539449.01._SX140_SY224_SCLZZZZZZZ_.j

In the late 1600s, Carlo Demirco’s skill at creating ice creams has brought him from lowly beginnings in Italy, to the court of King Louis XIV of France.   There he meets the intriguing Louise de Keroualle, a lady-in-waiting from a noble but penniless French family.

From there, Carlo is sent to London, to work as confectioner to King Charles II.  Louise is sent as well, to become the mistress of Charles, thus furthering France’s political aims.  But while Louise works on seducing Charles, Carlo finds himself increasingly drawn to her, and is faced with the unpleasant situation of encouraging the relationship between the object of his desire and the English King.

I was looking forward to reading this, as I had previously thoroughly enjoyed The Various Flavours of Coffee, by the same author.  While I did like The Empress of Ice Cream, it did not captivate me in the same way.  The writing is descriptive and evocative, and the machinations and dealings of ministers both in France and England were well described.  The politics of the story were interesting, and made me want to learn more about the period, but I found I could not warm to Carlo or Louise.  Louise in particular always seemed like a distant character, and although the book is narrated by both Carlo and Louise, she never seemed fully fleshed out (although she was in fact a real person; Carlo is fictional, but has his basis in reality).  However, I did like the gradual change in her character – from the point of view of an observer, it was interesting to see her priorities change, and see how she justified her own actions to herself.

On balance, I think I would recommend this book, mainly for the political intrigue, and the descriptions of Carlo’s ice desserts, which are liberally scattered throughout the book.  (WARNING: This book may cause extreme cravings for ice cream!)

• 2 weeks later...

The Norm Chronicles, by Michael Blastland and David Spiegelhalter

1846686202.01._SX140_SY224_SCLZZZZZZZ_.j

This is a fascinating book about risk, the probability of risk in given situations, and how humans react to the idea of risk.  It takes as it’s basis three characters: Norm, a man who is average in every sense of the word, and calculates risk according to the statistics; Prudence, who worries incessantly and excessively about everything – for her, the worst case scenario is also the likeliest; and Kelvin, who is arrogant and irresponsible and seems happy to take risks in all aspects of his life.  These characters are placed in different settings, as the book explores the statistical chance of something bad happening, in relation to the public perception of risk.  For example, scary headlines that declare things like ‘Eating such-and-such every day leads to a 20% increase in your likelihood of getting cancer.’  Scary indeed, but the book shows what that 20% risk actually works out at.

The book is written in easy to understand language, and is often amusing.  It acknowledges that it’s all very well saying there’s a one in a million chance of a specific something bad happening, but that’s little comfort to the person that is that one in a million.  Nonetheless, I found it oddly reassuring to be able to understand why certain situations are so scary, yet when looked at objectively, they actually pose little real danger.

It explains how probability is calculated (and discusses the reliability – or not – of the numbers), and is full of interesting anecdotes.  All in all, a thoroughly enjoyable book, on a fascinating subject.  Recommended.

This sounds interesting, it's going on my wishlist! Nice review :).

Nice review. Another one to add to the ever-expanding wishlist.

Thanks :)  My husband spotted it and thought I'd enjoy it (he knows my taste well, obviously!).  Very interesting read, and like I mentioned, quite reassuring too.

Aw, I thought it might be about Norm from Cheers :D

Oops, sorry! :D  Well it's about the 'everyman', so I suppose it's sort of about Norm!

Stories I Only Tell My Friends, by Rob Lowe

0b47cfd40d22bcf596b686f6577434d414f4141.

Rob Lowe is a name familiar to anyone who grew up in the 80s.  He became a huge star, was a member of the ‘Brat Pack’ and graced bedroom walls everywhere.  In the late 80s and 90s, his career took something of a nosedive, but since his work on The West Wing, there has been something of a resurgence.  I remember all the fan-worship of Lowe, and after seeing him speaking at the Hay Festival when this book came out, I looked forward to reading it, and getting his own perspective on his career.

It’s an entertaining story, told in an engaging and warm voice.  He describes his childhood, with a loving but turbulent homelife, and his early ambition to become an actor.  His stories about his early days in the industry were my favourite parts of the book – the account of making The Outsiders, as one of a group of soon-to-be-household-names, including Tom Cruise, Patrick Swayze and Emilio Estevez – was particularly interesting (his descriptions of co-stars Swayze and Cruise were affectionate and very witty).

Lowe does a good job of portraying how a young and naive young man can get caught up in the Hollywood machine and lifestyle, and how inevitably, that lifestyle led to his fall from grace in spectacular fashion in 1988, with the sex-tape scandal.  He glosses over the scandal and fallout somewhat, but I can’t really blame him for that – he acknowledges it and moves on.

The book is packed with little anecdotes about some of the famous people he met (Cary Grant, Liza Minnelli amongst others, and these before he even got into acting himself), which are entertaining.

What comes through most is Lowe’s love for his wife and family, and his passion for his work.  I accept that there was a fair amount left out of the book; nonetheless, it’s an entertaining and enjoyable memoir, which I liked a lot and would recommend to fans of Lowe, or anyone with an interest in film-making.

• 4 weeks later...

A Prayer for Owen Meany, by John Irving

e143ee0e62a3fbf593663585567434d414f4141.

The diminutive (in size, but certainly not in heart) Owen Meany is the subject of this book, narrated by his best friend Johnny Wheelwright.  Owen believes himself to be God’s instrument, and that he has a very specific purpose on earth.  As an older John (in the late 80s) tells the story of his and Owen’s childhoods and adolescence in the 50s and 60s, the story takes several threads and brings them neatly together at the climax.

I wanted to read this, because I have read and enjoyed John Irving in the past.  However, I always find him to be a writer I can appreciate rather than always enjoy, and this book was no different.  The story started slowly and I wasn’t sure whether I would like it or not, as Johnny describes himself and Owen in their younger days, and how Owen accidentally kills Johnny’s mother with a baseball, as well as Johnny’s interest in the identity of his unknown father.  However, as the narrative progresses and the boys become young men with the shadow of the Vietnam War hanging over them, it picked up pace and I started to be drawn in.

As a narrator, Johnny is something of an enigma – I never felt that he was really fully fleshed out, but that actually worked, as it made Owen the true focus of the story, as he should be.  Owen was an extremely interesting character – highly intelligent, shades of arrogance, and not always likeable.  He rubbed people up the wrong way, some people were even frightened of him (not least Owen’s own parents), but it was clear that he always felt he had a mission to complete that was more important than himself.  A few times I wondered about the significance of certain plot points – exactly why was Owen so determined to master a tricky basketball shot? – but this made the ending so much more satisfactory as events are brought into sharp relief, and everything clicks.

Some parts are genuinely moving, and other parts are extremely funny – the nativity scene with the four feet tall Owen playing a swaddled baby Jesus, had me laughing all the way through.

Overall, I am very glad I read this book.  It was not always easy going, but I felt that it paid dividends to readers who kept with it, and I imagine it will be a story that I will remember for a long time – particularly the wonderful ending.

Thanks for reminding me what a great read this is Ruth .. actually I don't think I reviewed it .. I found it hard to put into words what I felt about it but you've done so marvellously (I'll just have to link to your review :giggle:) Great review .. I agree entirely .. it was a book that took time to fully appreciate  :smile: 

This book is on my wishlist, great review :)! I haven't yet read anything by John Irving, I have two books by him on my shelf and several on my wishlist. My parents have read some of his books and liked them.

Thanks for reminding me what a great read this is Ruth .. actually I don't think I reviewed it .. I found it hard to put into words what I felt about it but you've done so marvellously (I'll just have to link to your review :giggle:) Great review .. I agree entirely .. it was a book that took time to fully appreciate  :smile: 

Ruth

Great review of Owen . He's on my all time favorites list . Terrific story ,parts of it so funny and also so sad .Owen will always be an unforgettable character  to me .

Thanks to all of you :)  I must admit, at first I thought it was slow going, but then it really picked up, and I cried at certain parts.  I'm not sure that I enjoyed it as much as The World According To Garp, but it was certainly a worthwhile read, and I have kept hold of my copy of Owen Meany, because I think I will reread it at some point.  

I agree Julie - Owen is certainly unforgettable :)

Golden Boy: The Untold Story of William Holden

7d9970dbf23aa80597a41636241434d414f4141.

William Holden is one of my very favourite actors, and during his lifetime, he was one of Hollywood’s favourites too.  During the 1950s, he was a huge box-office draw, and the many films he made include such classics as The Bridge on the River Kwai, Sunset Blvd., Network and Stalag 17 (for which he won an Academy Award).  Handsome, masculine and talented, William Holden nevertheless struggled with chronic alcohol addiction for much of his life.  This book is a respectful biography of the great actor, and I enjoyed reading it very much, although it was hard not to feel sad at the damage that he was doing to his body and by extension, his career and his personal relationships.

The book is an easy read, and is never dull.  However, in some aspects, it was more of an overview of events – for instance, Holden’s childhood and adolescence is covered in a couple of short chapters, although as Holden was a private man, he might have preferred it that way.  Some of his film also didn’t even get a mention, although all of the high points in his career are covered.  I loved reading about his career, and the various films he made, both successful and less so.  He came across as I have always imagined him to be – a very gifted actor, with a strong sense of right and wrong (no, he wasn’t perfect, but why should we expect him to be?).  There is no escaping the effect of his addiction however, and it would probably be impossible to tell his life story without it.

I did feel a sense of sadness while reading, probably because I knew how it would end – with Holden’s death at the age of 63, when he slipped on a rug in his home and hit his head.  His body was not immediately discovered, and this is something that always saddens me when I watch his films or read about him.  I am glad that the book dedicated time to his career and the fine work he did in films, rather than being exploitative.

As far as biographies go, this was a good read, which I would recommend to fans.  As mentioned earlier, it is thin on detail in some parts, but overall, a well-rounded story of a fascinating life.

Very interesting Ruth. I've always read about him in the Audrey biographies .. which nearly all claimed he was madly in love with her. Did this one give any further insight into that?

Very sad that his adult life was blighted by his alcohol addiction :( .. too often the case with actors :(