Ruth - 2013

Ruth

Janet, I must admit in the first few pages, there was so much information and so many names being thrown at me that I wondered how I would get on, but I found myself totally absorbed.  It's definitely on my favourites list now, and I know that I'll be reading it again. :)

Thanks, Ruth.  I've put it on my library Wish List (a friend's Mum leant me it last time I tried it) and will give it another go some time.  :)

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ruth - i read your review of Anne Patchett & thought it sounded like the sort of book i like then lo & behold i spotted it in the local charity shop so snapped it up  :D

Thanks for the review.

What a brilliant review of Schindler's Ark Ruth :) I'm so glad you loved it. It wasn't that long ago that I read it but you've made me want to read it again .. Lord!! I'll never get through my TBR at this rate :D

Thank you :)  I feel your pain about your tbr though!  I keep seeing books I've read and loved, and thinking I'd love to read them again, but then a whole pile of new books look at me reproachfully!

Oh, I have the Patchett on the shelf...been debating over it on and off.  For some reason I couldn't finish Bel Canto, but I think it was me, not the book. My husband loved it, and our tastes are pretty similar, so I'll def give it another go, and pull Wonder as well.  Soon.  soon. /sigh/ :)

Thanks for another great review!

I hope you like it.  I loved Bel Canto, but somehow State of Wonder didn't sound as interesting, but I found it on sale very cheap so thought I'd give it a go, and I was surprised by how drawn into it I was.

Thanks, Ruth.  I've put it on my library Wish List (a friend's Mum leant me it last time I tried it) and will give it another go some time.  :)

Hope you like it this time :)  

Ruth - i read your review of Anne Patchett & thought it sounded like the sort of book i like then lo & behold i spotted it in the local charity shop so snapped it up  :D

Thanks for the review.

Thanks :)  I really hope you like State of Wonder.  I was actually quite surprised by how much I liked it, even though I had enjoyed her previous book.

The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry, by Rachel Joyce

3f7f5f495f548a4593374336241434d414f4141.

One morning, mild-mannered Harold Fry receives a letter from a former colleague named Queenie, who he has not seen for some 20 years.  The letters informs him that she is in a hospice, and is dying of terminal cancer.  Harold writes a letter back, and sets out to post it, but when he gets to the postbox, he decides to keep walking on to the next one.  And then he decides to walk a bit further, and his short walk eventually turns into a journey on foot from his home in Devon, to where Queenie is, in Berwick-upon-Tweed.  Though the going gets tough, Harold knows that somehow or other he has to walk to Queenie, and that as long as he keeps walking, she will keep living.

I had heard so many good things about this book, and was really looking forward to reading it.  The story is lovely, although a little far-fetched occasionally.  Harold meets many other people en route to save Queenie, and he realises that like him, everyone has regrets and worries in their lives, and that sometimes what we see on the surface tells us nothing about a person.

For Harold, the journey is metaphorical as much- as it is physical.  He believes that his walk can save Queenie, but he also seems to be seeking redemption for himself. As his walk unfolds in the pages, so does his history, and we learn all about the tragedies he has faced, the situations which he wishes he could change, his regrets about his relationship with his son, and the cause of a rift between himself and his wife Maureen.

At times the book is achingly sad, and at other times oddly uplifting.  I liked it a lot, but I was not as taken with it as I expected to be. (I had read reviews from people saying that the story had caused them to re-evaluate their lives, and it had made them cry.)  Having read so many positive things about the book, I would say that this puts me in the minority as it did not move me to tears, and while I would certainly recommend it, I would not say it particularly moved me.

It’s still an enjoyable story though, and I will be looking out for more by Rachel Joyce.

Ruth

I guess I am eventually gonna have to read the Harold Fry book . So many in here have read it and there are many varied opinions of it, so I need to read it at some point to see for myself I guess . I LOVE the cover you posted . Really neat .

Also , State of Wonder needs to be tried out . The only book of Patchett's I've read is Patron Saint of Liars and I loved it . not sure why I haven't tried any of her others since then .

Thanks for the reviews . I need to make myself a list of books to tackle next .

I guess I am eventually gonna have to read the Harold Fry book . So many in here have read it and there are many varied opinions of it, so I need to read it at some point to see for myself I guess . I LOVE the cover you posted . Really neat .

x

I agree! My cover looks like that too, it's quite pretty.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice review :)! I plan to be reading it soon because it's the July Reading Circle book, it should be fun to discuss it with everybody.

Ruth

Also , State of Wonder needs to be tried out . The only book of Patchett's I've read is Patron Saint of Liars and I loved it . not sure why I haven't tried any of her others since then .

Thanks for the reviews . I need to make myself a list of books to tackle next .

Thanks, both of you :)  The Harold Fry book is a nice, easy read - if I had had more time, I would probably have read it in one go. I expected a bit more from it personally, but I suspect that that is because I had heard so much hype prior to reading.  I hope you both enjoy it.

Julie, I've read two Ann Patchett books now, although not the one you mentioned (which I will be checking out) and have been very pleasantly surprised by both of them :)

What Would Audrey Do? by Pamela Keogh

1592404286.01._SX140_SY224_SCLZZZZZZZ_.j

This book is a basically a lifestyle and looks guide, with Audrey Hepburn as inspiration (and really, who better?).  There are also several stories from Audrey’s life (although, as is stated in the introduction, this is not a biography).  Split into sections such as clothes, home, romance, etc., the book tells us what Audrey would do (hmm…) and gives advice on how readers can be more like Audrey.  At this point, it seems fair to point out that I am a big fan of Audrey Hepburn, both as an actress, and a person.

What I liked about it: This book is adorably pretty, if unashamedly girly (but it is aimed squarely at women); it’s about Audrey, who is so adored by many, including myself; there is quite a lot of biographical info in here; some of the tips are do-able.

What I didn’t like about it: You need money (lots) to do some of the things suggested, although by no means all of them; the book encourages people to find their own style while also telling readers how to adopt Audrey’s style (!?); there is quite a lot of ‘filler’ – for example, a list on how to tell the differences between Audrey and that other great actress named Hepburn, Kate.  It’s a fair bet that anyone reading this already knows which one is which, after all; it assumes a lot about what Audrey would have liked or things she would have done, were she still with us.

Overall, it’s a nice book for fans, if for no other reason than it will look lovely on a bookshelf.  However, I think the time spent reading it would be better spent on reading a good biography of Miss Hepburn, or watching some of her films.

• 2 weeks later...

Roses, by Leila Meacham

0446549991.01._SX140_SY224_SCLZZZZZZZ_.j

This saga tells the story of the Tolliver and the Warwick families, who are two of the three founding families of the town of Howbutker in the Southern States of America.  Along with the third family, the Dumonts, they agree that if one ever offends the other, they would send a red rose to ask forgiveness.  The other family would send a white rose to say that forgiveness had been granted.  They lived alongside each other as neighbours and great friends, until in 1916, young  Mary Tolliver inherits Somerset, their cotton plantation from her father, against the wishes and expectations of her mother and brother.  A rift develops, and matters are made worse when Mary turns down the proposal of handsome Percy Warwick, the timber magnate.  The scene is set for a story that will have consequences for all  families concerned, and for their future generations.

The book was obviously influenced by Gone With The Wind (a precocious Southern belle, who is determined to save her family’s cotton farm at any cost), but it has its own story to tell.  It relates events from three points of view, and only by reading all of them, does the whole picture become clear.

I enjoyed every page of the book – the story had plenty of twists and a few shocks, and I thought it brought the periods described into clear focus.  I liked most of the characters; Mary (like Scarlett O’Hara before her) was not always easy to warm to, but the book did a good job of explaining things from her perspective.

The writing flowed beautifully, even if it had an occasional tendency to get ‘flowery’ and it was one of those books where I kept thinking, “I’ll read just a few more pages.”  I liked the earlier parts of the story – those set in the 1920s and 1930s, more than the modern(ish) section, which showed how the events of years earlier were still reverberating down through the decades.  Nonetheless, the last part did round things off very well.

Although this is quite a big book at more than 600 pages, it didn’t feel like a long read.  I would recommend it, and will look out for more by Leila Meacham.

Ruth

You need money (lots) to do some of the things suggested

I found this  funny, mainly because I was trying to picture how many items I'd need to look like Audrey :

1- a new shaped body

2-a thinner beautiful face

3-beautiful hair

Clothes, makeup , jewelry ,and assorted other doodads .

Even all that wouldn't help I don't think . I'm Grandma shaped . SQUISHY .

The Meacham book sounds good . I've been tempted by it before ( I like the really thick books ) , but thought it might lean too much in the romance area . Maybe I'll give it a shot anyhow if the other stuff outweighs the amount of romance ?

Oh .. thanks for the review of What Would Audrey Do Ruth. I love Audrey .. she's my heroine .. so I must, must, must read it :) I don't mind about the 'filler' .. or the needing lots of money .. I'll just look at the pics. If I end up just one smidgeon more like Audrey .. it'll be so worthwhile :D 

Miss Poppy

You already have lots going for you --the small stature, thin pretty face and dark hair ,so you probably wouldn't need very much other equipment .

I'd need a Semi Truck full of things just to get a running start .   :)

Miss Poppy

You already have lots going for you --the small stature, thin pretty face and dark hair ,so you probably wouldn't need very much other equipment .

I'd need a Semi Truck full of things just to get a running start .   :)

Well bless you dear Julie but you're too kind .. apart from the dark hair (and that comes courtesy of a bottle mostly :blush2:) I haven't got any of those things. I would love to be dainty but it's never going to happen .. I bought some ballerina shoes so I could be more 'Audrey' in Paris and the minute I wore them my feet blistered so badly that I had to stick my Uggs back on. Really looked great in the hot weather :blush2: 

Ruth

You need money (lots) to do some of the things suggested

I found this  funny, mainly because I was trying to picture how many items I'd need to look like Audrey :

1- a new shaped body

2-a thinner beautiful face

3-beautiful hair

Clothes, makeup , jewelry ,and assorted other doodads .

Even all that wouldn't help I don't think . I'm Grandma shaped . SQUISHY .

The Meacham book sounds good . I've been tempted by it before ( I like the really thick books ) , but thought it might lean too much in the romance area . Maybe I'll give it a shot anyhow if the other stuff outweighs the amount of romance ?

The romance is a BIG aspect of the book.  If it helps, I don't normally go for romantic blockbusters, but I did really enjoy this one :) 

Oh .. thanks for the review of What Would Audrey Do Ruth. I love Audrey .. she's my heroine .. so I must, must, must read it :) I don't mind about the 'filler' .. or the needing lots of money .. I'll just look at the pics. If I end up just one smidgeon more like Audrey .. it'll be so worthwhile :D 

I love Audrey - she was a beautiful woman inside and out.  I'd say you'd like the book if you're a fan :)

I love Audrey - she was a beautiful woman inside and out.  I'd say you'd like the book if you're a fan :)

I am a bit of a fan :D (see attached pic of current collection) .. though I wouldn't call it an obsession quite yet .. more of an appreciation and what has always made me love her more is that, as you say, she was lovely .. inside and out. Sometimes when you read about your heroes, it's disappointing to discover that they really weren't all that nice (and you have to start making huge allowances :D) .. Audrey was just like you'd imagine she'd be :)

I'm definitely going to be reading What Would Audrey Do ... thanks Ruth :)

post-5612-0-01046300-1373571951_thumb.jpg

I plan on watching Breakfast At Tiffany's not too long from now, I've never seen Audrey Hepburn before in anything but I've heard a lot of good things so I'm hoping I'll like the film. Have fun with your books :)!

I plan on watching Breakfast At Tiffany's not too long from now, I've never seen Audrey Hepburn before in anything but I've heard a lot of good things so I'm hoping I'll like the film. Have fun with your books :)!

Oh it's wonderful!  And try Roman Holiday, and Sabrina, and.....well, I could go on and on.  (If you like musicals, you MUST watch Funny Face!)  I hope you love Breakfast at Tiffanys :)

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, by Rebecca Skloot

58151c547c6e86359305a375951434d414f4141.

This story is true, but it is really quite remarkable.  In 1951, a young poor black woman named Henrietta Lacks died of cervical cancer.  During her treatment, cancerous cells were taken from her body – without the knowledge or consent of Henrietta or any of her family, and these cells became the first to be able to be grown independently.  Even now, more than 60 years later, Henrietta’s cells (known as HeLa) are still being grown, and have been used in numerous – countless even – medical experiments, to help find cures for cancer and AIDS amongst other diseases.  HeLa cells have been launched into space, used in nuclear testing, and…well frankly, all manner of things.  However, her family did not find out about her cells for years, and when they did, it caused them great consternation and confusion.

This quite remarkable book tells the story of the HeLa cells and some of the incredible advancements in medical science in which they have been used, but it also raises the thorny issue of consent and ownership.  (Who DOES own your cells, and is it right that they could be collected and used without your consent?)  Importantly the book also discusses Henrietta as a person, and looks at the effect that the whole matter has had on her descendants, who are still unable to afford their own medical care (in other words, they might not be able to afford the treatments that their own relative’s cells were instrumental in creating).

I found it a fascinating read.  I was concerned that the science parts might be a bit difficult to understand, but Skloot sets it out in a way that makes perfect sense.  She has clearly conducted a huge amount of research into the HeLa cells, and I felt that I learned a lot about them.  For that reason alone it was a worthwhile read, but what I really liked were the parts where Skloot met with members of Henrietta’s family (and in particular, Henrietta’s daughter Deborah, who was literally made ill by all the stress caused when she found out about her mother’s cells).

It really made me think.  I mean, REALLY made me think a lot about the issue of informed consent, and ownership of cells.  On the one hand, if people were classed as the owners of their cells and tissues, they could start demanding money for their use (although after reading this book I don’t actually believe that this would happen a lot).  They also may object to their cells being used in particular kinds of research.  Such objections could slow down scientific and medical progress.  On the other hand, it seems fair that people should have the rights over what happens to parts of their own body.  The book does not attempt to answer the question, but it does look at previous cases, and discusses the opinions of many professionals in the field, who take opposing viewpoints.

I really liked this book a lot, and would definitely recommend it.

added to my wishlist!

If its to help fight diseases etc, then they can take as many of my cells as I want. :)

• 2 weeks later...

added to my wishlist!

If its to help fight diseases etc, then they can take as many of my cells as I want. :)

Hope you like it.  I agree too - if it helps fight disease, then they can have any of my cells too.  Henrietta's family were not against that, and they said themselves that it was a good thing that her cells had helped others, but it did raise the issue of consent (Henrietta was not asked if she would donate cells, and her family were not informed that the cells had been taken, or what they were used for; they found out almost by accident, several years later).  There was some irony that they were so poor, and many of her family were in very poor health, and could not afford medical treatment for themselves.  Anyway, it was a really interesting read, and really made me think, which is always a good thing. :)

Mr Midshipman Hornblower, by C.S. Forester

0140011153.01._SX140_SY224_SCLZZZZZZZ_.j

This is chronologically the first book in the Hornblower series, but was not the first one which Forester wrote, and so it (presumably) serves as a prequel of sorts.  I wanted to read the Hornblower series, and decided to start with this one, where we first meet Hornblower, at the tender age of 17.  It is the late 1700s, and he is a nervous new recruit to the British Navy.

The book is more of a collection of short stories, than a novel.  Each story presents Hornblower with a new dilemma, from having to stand up to a bully (which he does – and how!), dealing with enemy ships from Spain, or transporting a Duchess home across the sea.  Hornblower matures throughout the book, and learns some tough lessons.

I enjoyed the book a lot, although I think that some knowledge of a ship’s structure would have helped when reading this, as there are lots of references to how a ship is built and manned.  However, I could usually understand enough of the jargon to workout exactly what character was doing what task, and in any event, the character of Hornblower himself was enough to keep me reading.

Somewhat stiff and awkward, and not always the most socially confident, but with a strong moral backbone and plenty of courage, I really warmed to the young Hornblower, and enjoyed reading about his adventures.  There were some other interesting characters along the way, and some moments of humour, as well as some sadder events which were described with little emotion.

Overall, while some parts of the book felt somewhat dry, I liked the main character enough to look forward to reading other books in the series.

^^ Thanks for that, Ruth - I want to give Hornblower a go at some point (I'd been thinking I'd get to it when I'm finished with Patrick O'Brian's series), so I've been looking at this book on and off for a while but haven't quite bought it yet.  Might have to change that, now.  Glad to hear you enjoyed it :smile: